Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel pump--replacement vs rebuilt orig.

jimbo64

Corvette
1964 RED CONVERTIBLE
Hey guys am thinking of buying a backup fuel pump to carry on trips and on checking vendor cats. notice a hug disparity between prices, $30 for replacement vs $120 for rebuilt. Thoughts from those of you who have tried the replacement and the rebuilt orig. thanks

Fuel Pump

Many times the only difference between a new pump and an original pump is the A/C stamp on the body of the pump. If you have an original, keep it. Some pumps can be rebuilt and others cannot. Sixty six small block pumps can be opened and rebuilt. Sixty seven units are sealed and cannot be rebuilt. Lastly, changing a fuel pump is a pain in the butt. I have changed more than my share on my 66 and my 68. I would not want to do it on the road. Good Luck. Jerry

$30 replacement one will work just fine. Same fit and function as original. The $120 original one differs only in the external markings. The $30 replacement one won't get you any judging points. But it'll bolt right on and pump gas just as well.

A replacement pump is just fine to carry along on road trips for emergencys. It will do the job and last as long as the high $ rebuild..maybe longer. One thing to check before buying is that the inlet and outlet on the replacement are clocked the same as your original. A sealed pump can't be taken apart and repositioned which could be a real hassle out on the road when you can't make the fuel lines hook up. Also check fitting size.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom