Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel pump sock

92conv

Hey all, what is the down side of installing a fuel pump without a sock on it? Obviously, it would suck up all the built up crap sitting on the bottom of the tank but is there anything else i.e. burning richer due to less constricted fuel flow or something like that? Thanks guys. Corvettes rock :_rock

HI there,
The sock filters major contaminants and absorbs water.
Fuel filters normallly filter to 15 microns and the sock about 30 microns.
It does NOT restrict fuel flow.
Allthebest, c4c5

C4C5, When I checked out my fuel sock it turned to powder in my hand. Now if that s*** has been getting sucked in to my engine ( :mad ) I think it would be better to keep it topped off and leave the pump open and just replace inline fuel filter as necessary. Maybe not but that sock dust was not too cool to find!

You need protection of some kind to keep stuff out of the pump itself.
That is the main job of the sock. If a chunk of stuff gets into the gears of the pump it's going to do some serious damage or stop the pump dead in its tracks.

C4C5, When I checked out my fuel sock it turned to powder in my hand. Now if that s*** has been getting sucked in to my engine ( :mad ) I think it would be better to keep it topped off and leave the pump open and just replace inline fuel filter as necessary. Maybe not but that sock dust was not too cool to find!
HI there,
Totally agree with that one.
Usually, if your sock degrades, that will show that some type of contamination had entered the fuel system to do that to the sock.
Simply replacing it and allowing the system to run as designed and being careful of what fuels are used and NO additives other then maybe a Techron occasionally should be all you need.
Allthebest, c4c5

GM did not put that sock in there just to run up the cost of the car. It must meet a specific engineering need or it would not be there.;)

c4c5 & John R. are right. Crap gets in your tank no matter what you do. Contamination from old gas station tanks, water that can form rust, etc. etc.

Do yourself a favor - you've already got the pump out. Replace the sock. Then you know it's done right. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom