Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel pump wont pump

tomj1404

Corvette
I just replaced the fuel pump but my car still wont start. The new pump isn't pumping any gas either. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

electronic, or mechanical??there's a fuel filter on the passenger side frame near front, also one in carb.

Are you even sure that you are getting fuel up to that point? Just something to consider...

On an 82, as the car has an in-tank pump with electronic fuel injection, the if you simply turn the key on but not start the engine, the pump will run a few seconds to build pressure then, because the engine computer doesn't sense the engine running, the ECM shuts the pump off.

To test the pump, you need to run the fuel pressure and fuel pump checks in the service manual.

But...for the sake of conversation, let's say that the pump, is indeed, not working in-spite of being a new one. The next step would be to troubleshoot the fuel supply system according to the instruction in the 82 Corvette factory Service Manual.

I don't have the factory service manual, so what do I need to do to troubleshoot the pump/fuel system? I know that the middle wire on the plug by the gas tank gets power, and on the relay the pink and blue wires get power, but I don't know where to go from there.

There may be an inertia switch for the fuel pump. I don't know what year it started or if it has always been a requirement, but in the case of collision, you want the fuel pump to shut off to prevent fuel from pumping out of a possible broken fuel line. If it is equipped with one it should be located behind the carpet in the area around the fuel tank. If it has tripped, there will be a little popped up button that just needs to be pushed back in to its lock position. Kind of like the turkey is done indicator.:)

Edit: I was wondering what happend prior to the fuel pump not working. Sometimes dropping something in the trunk area may set off the inertia switch. The way that I used to disable the fuel pump was with a rubber malet. Just a moderate wack in the general area of the inertia switch will trip it off.

tomj1404 said:
I don't have the factory service manual, so what do I need to do to troubleshoot the pump/fuel system? I know that the middle wire on the plug by the gas tank gets power, and on the relay the pink and blue wires get power, but I don't know where to go from there.

As I said, you need the factory Service Manual. It contains troubleshooting instructions and, more importantly for you right now, wiring diagrams with which you can use in following the instructions given in the troubleshooting information.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that the three-wire Weatherpack at the tank connection has a B+ line for the pump, a circuit leading to the gas gauge and a ground. I think they are pink, brown and black--obviously black is the ground--but I can't remember which of the other two is the pump's power line and which is for the gas gauge.

I agree with Hib. First check to see if the pump runs for two seconds when you turn the key on. If that doesn't happen, then I would check the fuel pump relay. You should at least hear it click when you turn the key on. Good luck!

Nick

it works

I got it working, thanks for your help

A wire wasn't hooked up where it was supposed to be, so it wasn't getting power

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom