Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Pump ?

Lakotah

Corvette
1999 Pewter coupe
My 99 C-5 has just turned 81K miles and for quite a few miles, I don't know 30-50K or so, I've listened to what I've gathered is my fuel pump. It's never been really noisy, just something I can hear. Well lately (the past 3 or 4 hundred miles) a new sound has come up. It sounds to me like a ball bearing that's starting to go out. At least that's what I can best describe it as. I've taken off the serpentine belt and manually turned and pulled at anything that will turn and I can't feel or hear anything unusual. I hear this noise at idling or just a few RPM's above that. One thing I do notice though is I can slightly smell hot antifreeze but see no signs of a leak anywhere and the anti freeze level always seems OK. I have to mention I replaced the water pump a few thousand miles ago with a quality pump. So I don't know, do these GM fuel pumps continue to get noisier as the miles increase? Oh, and I have to mention that I never abuse the performance that's available under the hood so I can't say it could be from my abuse. Thanks for any help on this.

The next time you hear it pull over and get out and down on the ground and see if you hear anything from the pump location.

Mr. Sam

The next time you hear it pull over and get out and down on the ground and see if you hear anything from the pump location.

Mr. Sam

Mr. Sam, I really can't hear much over the sound of the exhaust and engine from the underside. It appears like this new sound is coming through the dash board area rather than behind or under me. I stopped by and talked to my mechanic this afternoon about this. He mentioned what I might try is taking off the serpentine belt again then start the engine. I'll let you know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom