Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel Pump?

Battista_rb

Corvette
1997, Coupe, Arctic White, Light Gray Int.
<P>My 97 C5 automatic trans. has a problem after driving for an hour or so, I get a buzzing sound (like a motor running) coming from under the drivers side rear wheel. I think it is the fuel pump, but not sure. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I determined this by turn the key to the on position, but not starting the car and listening to what I think is the fuel pump, it makes the buzzing sound for a few seconds then stops. </P>
<P>This happens only after the car is been running for 1 hour or longer.</P>
<P>The car is running fine other then the buzzing sound.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>If it is the pump, can anyone help on how big of a job it is to replace?</P>
<P>Any tips or information is appreciated.</P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>Bob</P>

Sometimes I can hear mine, sometimes not. Sometimes it changes frequency when I have my turn signal on.:ugh I guess I won't worry unless the car doesn't start and I can't hear it at all.
My 82 fuel pump does the same thing. I guess it means it's working.:L

<P>My 97 C5 automatic trans. has a problem after driving for an hour or so, I get a buzzing sound (like a motor running) coming from under the drivers side rear wheel. I think it is the fuel pump, but not sure. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I determined this by turn the key to the on position, but not starting the car and listening to what I think is the fuel pump, it makes the buzzing sound for a few seconds then stops. </P>
<P>This happens only after the car is been running for 1 hour or longer.</P>
<P>The car is running fine other then the buzzing sound.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>If it is the pump, can anyone help on how big of a job it is to replace?</P>
<P>Any tips or information is appreciated.</P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>Bob</P>

Here is a link to a TSB for a noisy fuel pump - 1997 & 1998 C5: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=238

It is a lot of work to replace it.

My 1999 C5 fuel pump was replaced under warranty - it was very noisy (like a sewing machine) when the fuel level dropped below one-half. As such, I never let the fuel level drop below one-half.

Good luck.

Hey guy, you might want to change the fuel filter 1st. I have a 97 and had mine changed at 76K since I couldn't determine if it had ever been changed. You can expect to hear some noise from the fuel pump in your vette since you're so close to it...i also adhere to keeping the fuel level above half a tank. Good luck with the project.

Rufus

Thank you for the help and info.
I had a fuel filter replaced, now I will see if the noise comes back, after I drive an hour or so.

Noise came back after about a 1 hour drive!

No good on the fuel filter, I took a long drive and about a hour later the noise came back. The noise is sounds like a electric motor running near the rear driver side wheel.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom