Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel reserve????

pack84

Corvette
1984blue coupe
just curious,how much fuel is actually left in the tank when reserve light comes on.

When I bought my 84 I had to drive it to Maine from Pennsylvania and was trying to push it one more exit to a gas station and ran out of gas for my first time ever. There is no reserve light on an 84 but the range display said I could go another 11 miles. It may have been able to make it the next mile to the exit but it was uphill so I think the fuel pump could not get at the fuel that sloshed to the rear of the tank. Now I never let it go less than 1/4 tank. I had 2 of the bars displaying on the gas gauge when she quit. The AAA guy was there in about 15 minutes to help me.

father & son

DON'T!!!!!!!! let your tank run so low. It puts access ware and tear on the pump!! This is not China, we have gas stations every where,because of COKE and PEPSI.
vette-24.jpg

Don't beleive the range estimate when the reserve light is on. I was running low and the reserve light came on, range said I had about 50 miles left. I ran out in about 10 miles. Did not make it to the gas station. Had to call my wife at about 11:00 at night to bring me some gas while I waited in the breakdown lane on the highway. I don't know what was more dangerous - waiting on the side of the road or calling my wife at that time of night to come out with some gas. Needless to say it will never happen again. I try to never let it go below half now.

I made the mistake of allowing my tank to get low and then forgot to put gas in. The reserve light came on and range said 55 miles. I got lucky, was 30 miles to the next gas station and I made it. One bar when I got there.

Glenn
:w

Like DF said, much better for the fuel pump to have some fuel in the tank to keep it from cavitating. I ran out of gas because in rural Maine gas stations are not everywhere regardless of Coke and Pepsi theory and I was in a new car that I was not familiar with. Never intentionally go below 1/4 tank if you can help it.

My experience echos those already mentioned. Had the reserve light on and the computer "claiming" 50 or so miles left. Started cutting out when stopping.

A firm believer now in allowing less than 1/4 tank before filling up.

yeah I was just curious about that.Believe me I've gone through 2 fuel pumps,once cause I ran it low ,the other cause the car sat for almost 2 months not running due to transmission problems.thanks for everyones input.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom