Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel sending unit removal on a 1975 Corvette.

rodney25

Corvette
1975 Convertable
Does anyone know if the fuel sending unit on a 1975 Corvette is located on the top or bottom of the fuel tank? Do you need to drop the fuel tank or can you remove without dropping the tank? Thanks.

It's on the top of the tank. Best to remove the tank and then check the tank bladder if it's still in there. I remove the bladder because once they separate from the tank collapse and don't allow you to completely fill the tank. I don't think it's going to make much difference with a rear impact anyway but it's your call.

Thanks for the quick response. Is the tank difficult to remove? How do you remove the tank?

Those years also have a steel shell around them, they're a PITA to remove but can be done on jack stands. Get the exhaust & tire tub out of the way and you'll see 2 long straps that go around the tank. Take a look in the 75 AIM if you have one, if not then I would order one from any vendor.

Does anyone know if the fuel sending unit on a 1975 Corvette is located on the top or bottom of the fuel tank? Do you need to drop the fuel tank or can you remove without dropping the tank? Thanks.

The '75 s/b on the bottom. Just remove your spare tire carrier and take a look. The round gizmo with the wires going to it. You'll have to drain the tank. i just r&r'd my '73 tank et al if you need further info.

75 up sending units are on the top of the tank, take my word on it. They changed from the earlier cars where the sender was on the bottom and much easier to access.

75 up sending units are on the top of the tank, take my word on it. They changed from the earlier cars where the sender was on the bottom and much easier to access.

Oops, sorry! mine is a '73 and the vendor I initially looked at shows the lower type thru '77. I just looked at a different one which shows it correctly thru '74. I'll have to call the guys at Keen and tell 'em!

Do I really need to drop the tank, or can I remove/install the sending unit without dropping the tank? The problem I'm having is the fuel guage keeps bouncing when driving. If I'm at a stop the guage is fine. Was told that the sending unit is the fault but now not so sure?

Yes you need to drop the tank its not that hard. It may just the sending unit wire may be loose or grounding. You will need to check the rubber fuel lines after all these years they may have signs of dry rot
mine were leaking thought it was the bladder and changed the whole tank, something told to check rubber line from tank to steel line that runs along the frame to fuel pump and it was leaking but atleast I have a new tank

could be the bladder causing the problem and not the sending unit. These really cause a problem when the come away from the tank and collapse. There are a dozen or so bolts holding the sending unit to the tank, I don't think you can do it unless you drop the tank out.

Oops, sorry! mine is a '73 and the vendor I initially looked at shows the lower type thru '77. I just looked at a different one which shows it correctly thru '74. I'll have to call the guys at Keen and tell 'em!
No problem. The 73's are much easier to work on. They're pretty much the same car though. Same steering,suspensions, diff's, brakes,etc.

No problem. The 73's are much easier to work on. They're pretty much the same car though. Same steering,suspensions, diff's, brakes,etc.

Yeah, the tank was the easy part. Due to visible residue, I thought I had a leaker but pulled it to find the filler boot had leaked some a while back and it just hadn't dried up. Took advantage to replace all hoses, clean up exterior rust, replce filler neck and spot paint to prevent future rusting.

Also have rebuilt the front suspension and power steering to replace all bushings, R&R motor (custom rebuild), blah, blah, etc.

Next winter project will be rear upgrade/bushing replacement, I will probably be asking a lot of questions...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom