Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Full Weatherstrip Replacement

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
I'd like to hear from C4 DIYs who've replaced all their weather strip–i.e.: doors, hatch glass and roof–all in one big job.

How long did it take?

What was the hardest part?

Where'd you get your replacement parts?

I was pleased with the quality of the Willcox weatherstrips I used. Tip on the rear hatch weatherstrip: Start at the corners. Glue the corners into place without stretching the rubber. Then work from the corners to the center of the car, top and rear. Most of the pieces can be fitted into place without any adhesive, as they fit snugly into the metal retainers. You will probably need to readjust the roof mounting brackets to get the roof to fit properly. These brackets are under the halo plastic panel, and under the windshield header panel. These brackets are adjustable up and down to get the proper fit without overstressing the acrylic top, especially at the front.

Have fun!

:w

I did a full weatherstrip replacement on my brother in law's 86 last spring but it was a convertible. It took about 6 hours (not all in one session) to remove the old stuff (the plastic pins in the deck lid were a bear) and get all of the adhesive out of the header and the convertible top tracks. The install took another 6 hours. The hardest parts of the install were the header and convertible top tracks.

Hardest part by far is getting the old stuff out. Its glued in unlike most newer cars. Putting it all back together was easy enough. Take your time. Don't by the cheap weatherstripping, Wilcox seems to have a good product, lesson learned.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom