Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

future of classic cars(alt fuels)

cstarr89

Corvette
1981 charcoal grey coupe auto
Well im sitting here at 3:00am bored can't sleep...I just thought of something that kinda scared me actually. I realised classic cars are gas hogs mainly v-8s duh right? well..what happens when we do run out of fossil fuel i.e. gasoline/diesel?
will our cars become shells such as the steam engines of old? will there be some adjustment/part that will allow us to run on a new alternative fuel? I know this is kind of out of the blue but i figured i would get some of your opionions maybe having a little more experience with changing times than I do. (18) I enjoy driving new cars yes but theres nothing like being behind the wheel of a gas guzzling v-8 vette :cool. hope i get some replies let me know what u think.:confused

Hi, I went thru the 1976 oil embargo, you could not get gas, I sold my 1971 LT-1 coupe because of the situation at the time. All of a sudden the embargo disappeared and gas was everywhere again, it was scary. I believe big oil and it's greedy ways control all aspects of the cost of fuel. They say it's a supply/demand issue, if that's the case gasoline should be cheap. They limit the refining capacity to control the price. With the modern day technologies oil co. are finding more oil than ever, they just limit how fast it gets to the market. They recently discovered the Caspian oil fields that rival the Arab oil fields, but you won't hear much about it. Like most people on this site, my life would be a bore without the internal combustion engine and I too ponder life without fuel. Until corporate America is satisfied with just being millionaires instead of multi or billionaires the beat will go on. Big oil is in the White House and Mid-eastern nations are not fond of that. Every excuse imaginable is used to increase the price of fuel while goverment looks the other way, we all need to wake up and not waste fuel, park the daily driver for a few days, the only way things will change is when the fuel starts to backup and the big wigs are swimming in it............Just my 2

Gas gussling v8s

hi Cstarr 89, you bring up a good point, but you dont have to worry , because history has proven, that passion and lust,classic and unique designs, big CI power,and performance, always wins out, thats what we all want, thats why we own a stingray,or corvette,. so twenty years from now, gas may be $10 a gallon, we may not drive quite so far but,when we do the excitement and pleasure will always be there, or we can go to our garage and just look at our dream car anytime. Wayne.

I thought of that several times. There is always alot of talk about alternate fuels. I guess I would buy an alternate fuel V8 able to run liquified corn, get a special lined fuel tank with the special fuel lines and go for it!!

If you happen to follow a 1965 Blue Coupe and start to smell someone making popcorn, you'll know I did it.

I really think this is not so far fetched. :)

.............probably had too much coffee already today!!! ;shrug

Chuck M

I have pondered this also. I imagine just taking my engine, etc. out and replacing it with whatever technology will give to keep it on the road. You would think with the billions of dollars on the table some genius would come up with an alternative that would make our country more self-sufficient. Maybe the oil tyrants have that much control. Regardless I can't imagine all of the future cars have to be ugly.

I don't think that there is any chance that we will run out of fossil fuels in any of our lifetimes. They say theres a shortage but yet there seems to always be plenty if you're willing to pay the inflated prices that they're asking!

I would not worry about it or lose any sleep. We will not run out of fossil fuels in my or your lifetime. We will develope alternate fuel vehicles and some day may be less dependant on oil as an energy source but even if it happened tomorrow we would still need oil products for at least 20 years. Think of all the things that require oil or gas to run. Tractors, construction equipment, home heating furnaces, electrical power plants and on and on. Do you think that we will throw them all away and buy new ones that run on atlernate fuels?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom