Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Future purchase big block

B

Billnut

I am considering my first corvette purchase. I have always wanted a 69, 427 tripower convertible and after 15 years of wanting I believe that I can finally make that purchase of my dream. There a few things that I hope someone can help me with. I don't intend on buying a museum piece. I would like to drive it on the weekends and summer nights down the shore or into the mountains (live in Jersey). Is the car too much of an animal for day drives, 6,8 or 10 hour drives? I have heard that the 427 runs very hot. Is there a problem with stop and go driving? If everything is in perfect working order I would expect the car not to overheat, is this a fantasy or shouldn't everything be all right? What about fuel for the car? Does it require fuel additives for octane or lead? Looking to fill that new garage some fiberglass. Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Billy

Buy it and live with it!

You'll love it - its a lifestyle and not accessory!!

You can make anything run cool if you do it right. My 454 .060 over is now running at 185 on near 100 degree days, and about 210 tops when I run the a/c.

So, do you want a project, or a turn key ride?

Welcome Billy.

I drive my '73 454 all day long, even in 90+ degree weather. I run regular 87 octane gas (8.5:1 cr), no additives (steel valve seats). If you get it and it pings just back the timoing down a bit and you will be fine.

Good Luck

It should be that most motors have been rebuilt and that the valve seats are compatible with unleaded gas. Just check with the buyer and find out what they run. Compression ratios will determine octane ratings somewhat, so it all depends on exactly what you buy.

Heat with underbody exhaust systems is a way of life, unless you deal with the problems firsthand. Many members here have installed bypass valves to reroute hot coolant from entering the interior via the heater core to keep the heat down. Transmission collars atop the bellhousing and insulation in the tunnel, equipped from the factory, can also aid in keeping the temperatures down. The carpet plug holes need to be plugged and the transmission shifter boot needs to be secured with no tears.

Good luck! :gap

--Bullitt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom