Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Gail's first week in the paint shop

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Ode to Wisdom

There she is. In her worn outfit,
with new shoes anxious to retrace the world.
She's matured, but happily predict
the thump to rise America.
Casual, as when in company of close friends.
Accepted for what she contends,
and wiser for all the miles unfurled,
she beams in joy -unexplained erotica
And not alone, but among
her well-cared siblings who still extend
words of encouragement, they recommend.
For the way dirt she kicked,
slipping past, like wind in warm afternoon.
Soothingly refreshing, to a future -soon.

y1ppsvlS95gX86cynw9rinz6SLa1XG-i-W6e_MeAViTywa8HzcyRqeMQVyPzBV_gK8W3WnyWLnl-L8

Hey people, my Vette spent the first week in the shop. She is in the hands of Corvette lovers. The local shop -the only one of its kind in Albuquerque, is owned by San Francisco Bay Area transplants (just like I am), and they have restored around 14 Corvettes among the family members. When I dropped-off Gail, I got a tour of their shop, and they showed me 3 of the current projects they are working on.

There is a 1962 Corvette, convertible, in worn-white finish, that reminds me of Lou's Corvette, but under the hood, there is an LS2 engine, and running gear. Even the rear and the front suspensions are from an 2006 Vette. There is a 1960 Vette, that it is a Drag-race project. And there are other C2's being redone by the family members.

Some of you know that my Vette shows the poor repair remnants by a Chevrolet dealer in Alameda, California, and that faint line running from left to right on the peak of the front fender toward the hood is going to be repaired. A similar line also runs toward the hood on the drivers-side fender. They will grind several layers of this area, and they will layer fresh fiberglass. But this is time consuming. They will also fix a small crack on the left-front fender wheel well.

She will be painted in original charcoal gray, but the paint type will be polyurethane mixed-in with the clear coat, and it will be applied in one step.

She has 5 more weeks at the shop. The build-up of the fiberglass areas takes the longest. They will apply a layer, and then they will let it cure three to four days. Then, they will prep the area, and apply the second layer, and so on. 3 - 4 weeks will be absorbed by this process. This weekend, she will be curing the second layer.

She'll leave the shop with a fresh set of pinstripes in silver, as she was when I first bought her back in 1985 with barely 14K miles.

So soon, gang, I will be proud to say that she's finally done and ready to drive the world in her new dress. Perhaps in time for the spring. :beer

GerryLP:cool

That's great news Gerry. I'd swear these things run better when they're looking good. ;)

That is so cool, Gerry! I had no idea fiberglass had to cure for such a long time. I guess I will stick with the C4s! ;LOL

The one-step process is new to me, too. I guess they have less time shooting because they are combining the two steps?

Can't wait to see some pics.

SAVE THE :w

I guess they have less time shooting because they are combining the two steps?

Can't wait to see some pics.

I have read before some of this process in one of my books (that I was researching to do the job myself, but things have changed, and so I decided to have someone else do it). The advantages are that the clear coat and the base paint will chemically bond, and in the future, should it need a minor scratch repair, I will be able to have someone to wet sand it with 2,000 - 3,000 sanding paper. I have been told that it is more resilient that the two-step process to the kind of sun exposure we experience in New Mexico.

Very cool Gerry.. Glad to see she's in the hands of family.. Pictures !!

oh, and who'll get road warrier then? :chuckles

:w
-Stefan

Gerry, I loved the "Ode to Wisdom". Great wording! Can't wait to see Gail in her new spring outfit! :w

Great to hear Gerry!
Ask them to also take pictures during the proces, its great to see afterwards how they did the job. :)
Next step, dive into the books how to keep the paint scratch free (2 bucket system, clean, polish, seal etc etc :D

Groeten Peter

Very cool Gerry.. Glad to see she's in the hands of family.. Pictures !!

oh, and who'll get road warrier then? :chuckles

:w
-Stefan

Good to hear from you, Stefan! (and of course from everyone else..:eyerole)

I am not sure about all the recipients, but I am happy to have won it only once!!!:L

Great to hear Gerry!
Ask them to also take pictures during the proces, its great to see afterwards how they did the job. :)
Next step, dive into the books how to keep the paint scratch free (2 bucket system, clean, polish, seal etc etc :D

Groeten Peter

Good idea, Peter. I will try to swing by there this Friday.

I stopped by today, and here she is with the 4th layer of Fiberglas.

y1ppsvlS95gX84JmdjYT678vt15YrAkN6dYTNK-TrYW1tb3Cad_CdoXqHqjYQsHfPAC-oh_-MTeBr8

That's about 4 layers of fiberglass. I made a cartoon to show what represents a cross-sectional view of the fiberglass surface. The top view is the grinding that they did to prepare the build-up area. The bottom view represents the layers layered-down. They left the car to sun-cure with about 3 days in between layer application.

y1ppsvlS95gX842RoBGAfn-AzLCRRC1l8-QOyYkb75Bd-_wMUP9SGpPWR9RI1GH9r2v9nSq03IR2l8

They told me that they found a thin gap where the edges of the pieces that Good Chevrolet had "glued" together. In other words, they did not touch. What they had done was fill it with bondo...:mad;squint:

Here is the other side.

y1ppsvlS95gX84mu0Azpe7kBAZM_mTjNHP5OZ2m_e0hY1wE9Kw6MVEtMhTVFDWFPr3gNw7ozBUsMtY

Like the true Corvette owners/lovers they are, they told me that they will call me when the strip the car, so that I can take images, and I'll post them as soon as I have them. This is the end of week 2.

Good to see they started working on your vette right away! Did they have an idea where the cracks came from? It's good that they repair it the right way but if you don't know what caused the problem I would be afraid it would return..
Small tip for the front and rear bumper. If they leave them on while repainting. Loosen them and put a plastic wire between the body and bumper (like the ones you use to put your clothing on in the garden). When the painting is dry you can carefully get the wire out and put tighten the bumper back to the body :) Good luck and keep us updated :D

Groeten Peter

...Did they have an idea where the cracks came from? It's good that they repair it the right way but if you don't know what caused the problem I would be afraid it would return..
Small tip for the front and rear bumper. If they leave them on while repainting. Loosen them and put a plastic wire between the body and bumper (like the ones you use to put your clothing on in the garden). When the painting is dry you can carefully get the wire out and put tighten the bumper back to the body :) Good luck and keep us updated :D

Groeten Peter

Peter,

Back in 1985, my Vette was lightly kissed by an old 1970 Dart on the right-front wheel (with the Dart's rubber-tipped bumper). That counter-levered the wheel, and snapped the lower "A" arm and bent the upper one. When the "A" arm gave wave, the Dart's bumper reached the body and had cracked the left fender on the side and at the top. :mad

The old guy (and to this day, I am sorry to say that about a month later he passed-away from a heart attack-- Had gone past the double yellow line, and around the traffic, and because that street in which I was attempting to make a left-turn had to be kept clear, I made my left turn -and whammo! He hit me. Who expects a car coming from that direction on the opposite direction lane?:confused ).

Anyway, referencing the image below,and at the time the dealer decided (and I still regret letting them do it that way) to change the panel in pink and the panel in yellow. In fact, that is the way that the factory put the front clips together, but it is a far cry between the factory and a dealer, no matter if the dealer is "blessed" by the factory to perform the task.

y1ppsvlS95gX85Mb_gEtMrTxcr_B6mWHt0Cj4YERQnNEs5JzCIxOsY7a_5zPIYS8pQIeru_j0-Q0xI

What can I say...I was young and without a garage to do the work myself (then, one could go to Eckler's or Corvette Stop and obtain a full front clip OR a full front clip that flipped open like the then "NEW" C4's.

Does any member have there cars with that type of front clip? I have alway "wished" I had the guts to put one of those on my car, for it does facilitates maintenance, but then later I realized that the L81's are fine the way they are.

I have read before some of this process in one of my books (that I was researching to do the job myself, but things have changed, and so I decided to have someone else do it). The advantages are that the clear coat and the base paint will chemically bond, and in the future, should it need a minor scratch repair, I will be able to have someone to wet sand it with 2,000 - 3,000 sanding paper. I have been told that it is more resilient that the two-step process to the kind of sun exposure we experience in New Mexico.

That is so cool, Gerry!

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Gerry,

It is going to be nice when done. The repairs are being done like I would do them, if that means anything. :L Keep us posted on the progress.

Tom

...The repairs are being done like I would do them, if that means anything. :L ...Tom

Tom,

The shop owner told me that this is the same method used by some people when attempting to repair the body much better that the factory did, so in that respect, it perhaps would not meet NCRS standards, but that's OK with me.

Apparently the same method is used to get rid of the "visible" joint lines on all the body panels pieces. This would perhaps make an NCRS judge cringe, but the fact of the matter is that the factory body would have to be in pristine condition to avoid this procedure. If one changes a panel, one risks an untidy finish, if one skips this kind of detail. ;shrug

But yes! I am excited about it!

:w Gerry,

Gerry ask your body shop this for me ;)

Do they mix any talc power in the resin mix???

The reason I ask is I knew a guy back in Nebraska that was by far the best Corvette Body Man I've ever known. He did a back seam on my 67. His name was Tom Togood from Emerald, NE.

I'm just curious if they heard of this before and if they might use the same mix, being old school and using the V seam repair ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom