Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garage Lifts

I`ll probably call, it`s just that I make too way many calls already. By the way, how does one post images directly to reply window. When I "attach", one has to click on the link to open. What am I missing? Andrew

andrewcanada said:
I`ll probably call, it`s just that I make too way many calls already. By the way, how does one post images directly to reply window. When I "attach", one has to click on the link to open. What am I missing? Andrew

if you type
and put the url in between the ][ of the img's it will host or, when making a reply, click on the IMG tab and a lil' window will open up top where you can post the url.
Hope this helps. :beer

*89x2* said:
if you type
and put the url in between the ][ of the img's it will host or, when making a reply, click on the IMG tab and a lil' window will open up top where you can post the url.
Hope this helps. :beer
Thanks. I toyed around with those thingys that I usually ignore, and it seems to make sense. But to put an image in my post from "my pictures" wouldn`t reqire a URL?. Yet, doesn`t IMG stand for image? :argue :duh , Andrew. PS, is there a more appropriate area to discuss this?:upthumbs ;shrugandrewcouchst@netzero.net I tink I gottit`!!! :_rock ;worship :Steer

Re: andrewcanada.... I moved your photo's to the appropriate Forum

Rare81 said:
Your photo's have been moved to "The Edge" forum

Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator
Hey, where,d you get dat piture??? (scroll up a few bars, and look for camels in the west...)Now I want a lesson in how to insert one of `dem, once I get my bytes under control :CRASH

Ok, ok I called Backyard Buddy and spoke to Jason. He told me that they account for the vast majority of the 4 post lifts sold. He also told me that ALI is a "fraternity" of lift manufacturers, which I kinda` sorta` suspected. It seems ALI has no standards for non-bolted-down equipment. The BB could be bolted down, but I`d like Jason and ALI to tell us the details . ANSI standards are self monitered. Readers can be the judge of that fact...:r :argue

Moving right along... I went to a local junkyard to buy an alternator for a friend, and found out that I missed a Sherrifs auction by 1 1/2 hours. There was a 2000 Corvette coupe, black w/ 16k that had just been bid to $16000, and I knew about the auction, but "you snooze, you lose...";stupid :duh :r Andrew

andrewcanada said:
Ok, ok I called Backyard Buddy and spoke to Jason. He told me that they account for the vast majority of the 4 post lifts sold. He also told me that ALI is a "fraternity" of lift manufacturers, which I kinda` sorta` suspected. It seems ALI has no standards for non-bolted-down equipment. The BB could be bolted down, but I`d like Jason and ALI to tell us the details . ANSI standards are self monitered. Readers can be the judge of that fact...:r :argue

OK, SO what does all this mean to me, the consumer???

Are you saying that based upon your conversation, you would not buy a BB?? Or and ALI "frat" lift???

Thank's for making the call :beer

Confoozed ya, ha? Unfortunately, as much as I`d like to take Jason`s word about his product as gospel, one can`t forget that he represents the company(BackyardBuddy). You`ve got to speak to people in the industry!!! As an example, I spoke to a woman at the Vermont DEC about salvage yards today, and the subject of waste oil furnaces came up. She simply said that Reznor is by far the best unit. Here`s a person with exposure to the end user, and no interest in one company over the other. Call up a lift installation company that services the trade. Beat the bushes, do your research... :J Andrew

This is an excellent thread with some good information in it. I'm going to stick this to the top of the forum.

Are you saying that based upon your conversation, you would not buy a BB?? Or and ALI "frat" lift???

[/B]
I may not approve of the alleged politics of the certification program, but I will definetly base my decision on the ALI/ETL acceptance. I will also call those boys and find out the scoop. There`s always two sides to every story... Andrew

Well, I am going to give you my take on it. I have friends who have Eagle, Bend Pak, Backyayd Buddy, Superior, ect., ect. There is something that is quite apparent. Almost all the 4 post lifts built use the exact same design and the exact same mechanical parts!
I have seen lift manufactuers market their lifts by saying that they uses a full 1 H.P. pump rather than a 3/4 H.P. one, but have yet to find a company that sells a 3/4 H.P. pump!! The same goes for the thickness of the ramp material! all these lifts use the same cables, the same rams, and the same pumps! It is quite obvious that they all buy their hydraulic parts from the same vendor.

This design is a tried-and-true design and will serve the average hobbiest for many years with only minimal maintenance. There is no doubt that a commercial lift is of a more robust design, but this type of lift is designed for many,many cycles every day for many years. This is not the way most of us will use a lift! My lift only makes 10-15 cycles a week on a good week, so my point is buy a commercial lift if you have a need for hundreds of cycles a week but don't spend the extra money unless you will get the value out of it. My lift cost Less than 2K and provides me great service and a very safe platform. It is very easy to raise the front or rear suspension up for tire or suspension work with the supplied jack bridge, and the lift is completely portable! My shop has 5 bays in two different buildings connected by a drive, and I cannot tell you how great it is to be able to move the lift from bay to bay depending on the status of cars that I am working on. It is so easy to move that I regularly move it out to the drive outside when the weather is really nice outside, so I can enjoy the weather!
This same decision process has to be exercised every time you buy tools or equipment. It would be nice to have a 25 HP commercial air compressor, but my 7.5 HP compressor meets all my normal needs. I think that all the lifts that have been mentioned in this thread are good lifts and would provide many years of service. It will just boil down to personal preference and reccomendations form people who are happy with their lift.
I only know of one person who was unhappy with his lift, and his displeasure was because the vendor failed to stand behind the product when he had a problem.
Regards, John McGraw
:w

You hit a good note, John. I just like researching things to death. If I would`ve found a bargain used unit for, let`s say, $500, then I wouldn`t be so fussy. It`s like I tell my wife when we go shopping. If it`s chaep, I like it! Seriously, I mentioned way back that I spoke with a fellow that had had an Autolifter 9k and then bought a new one, and it wasn`t as robust. I also second guess my decisions. Wouldn`t I be great to live with! I also aknowledged that they all go up and down, but the versatility of the asym.-symetric models is VERY important to me. Now if only i had researched my wife as thoroughly...(don`t delete this, you moderators!) Andrew PS, I just remembered, Somebody mentioned that one should check to make sure that the (2post) lift has in fact two cylinders. Some (most?) use just one, with cables running over or under to lift the other side. Let the buyer beware! AG

andrewcanada said:
Now if only I had researched my wife as thoroughly..

Amen to that. How many if us spent much more time deciding which tool to buy than we did picking out a wife. :L:L I'll have to admit that my tools turned out to be a much better investment than wife #1 or #2 was. I think I did ok on researching and procuring #3 though. I got her at the local Chevy store 19 years ago and she came with an '81 Corvette at no extra cost

Tom.

After 4 pages of Garage Lifts discussion, I don't see how to avoid side comments, but let's try to keep the intent of this thread on "Garage Lifts" ;) FO[color=deep-pink]C[/color]US :D

Bud

So I saw an "ALI Certified" SNAP ON series 4 post lift... This lift was far more substantial than other "channel" style lifts and did not use welded tabs for keepers (like Eagle, & others).. .The "clicks" were on the inside of the channel and seemd to be a more "trusting" design:)

Still, Backyard buddy w/ the 4 sided box that travels up and down the 4 posts seems to me like a better design.
Although the SNAP ON seemed to be built like a tank - cost would be higher on a unit like that?? when compared to the BB.

Snap on was bolted down to the floor as well. BB claims to be moveable - I would not be moving mine.

Still waiting for an answer on cantilever designed lifts like the one shown on the first page of this thread... ohh well... :(

Snap on was bolted down to the floor as well. BB claims to be moveable - I would not be moving mine.

:( [/B]
Bolted down, you say. Sounds like Jason at BackYard Buddy knew about what he was talkin`...I told him about CAC, which he visited whilst we spoke. I invited him to register and share some of his experience with us...Finger tappin,
Jason, where are you?

I have the Autolifters M6 and am very happy with it. It is the same design as the Backyard Buddy except that the Hyd powerpak is mounted on a separate post instead of the main column. The BB 7000# lift has powerpak mounted to the main column and the moving collar on that column is split to clear the mount. The 9000# BB has the separate post. I have the std steel approach ramps and they weigh 20# each. My cardiologist limits me to 35#, so no problem there. The BB cost $ 3195- the Autolifters M6 cost $2395. I'm going to purchase a second lift, just had the garage door tracks raised, and I'm going with the M6 again. I think the 4-sided column with the external collars(BB & Autolifters) is the best design, as the lock arm is fully trapped within a slot in the column, but that's my opinion. If i didn't feel the Autolifter M6 was safe to work under, I would get rid of it, not purchase another.

okay HELP

I have read all the pages to this yet one thing escapes me. Which lift lol. I would rather not have a Backyard buddy because it covers up too much of the undercarrage of the vehicle. So I feel that a good two post design would be best. But out of all these designs is a good one that will not cost more than my car lol.

Whewwwwww thank you all so very much :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom