Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garage Lifts

consider what you want to accomplish with your lift, and think about one of the most frequent things we wrench-turners do: pull the wheels! It seems like every time I touch a car, the wheels have to come off for brakes, flat tires, tire rotation, suspension tweaks...a four-poster gets the car off the ground for extra parking space and plenty of other jobs, but my two-poster was my clear choice simply because it lifts at the frame.

I agree with Nick I. Our 2 post only lifts to 6´. The next one will be as high as can be fit in the garage. It is rated at 5000 kilos and extra wide. We bought it from the Snap-On distributor here for under $10,000 installed. It would probably 30% less in the USA, everything else is!

SPANISHVETTS said:
I agree with Nick I. Our 2 post only lifts to 6´. The next one will be as high as can be fit in the garage. It is rated at 5000 kilos and extra wide. We bought it from the Snap-On distributor here for under $10,000 installed. It would probably 30% less in the USA, everything else is!
It seems that most (all?) lifts have a 6` stroke cylinder. $10,000!:r , oy vay, even a Mohawk 5kilo., which is arguably the strongest unit sells for $5500(?) installed. (Which only takes 3 hours). Snap-On is always the most overpriced whatever on the market. It`s a re-labeled __________, .I forget. I live 60 miles from Montreal and am quite familiar with the price disparity.:hb For instance, a windshield for the average sedan, let`s say a 2000 Accord costs $200US, and $300US in Canada. Only 60 niles north

The Werther/OMA Hi-9 has a lift height of 78". Rated at 9000 lbs. This is the lift used at the Ferrari factory in Italy. Around $3000 delivered...another $400 or so to install it. SD

I do not remember how much under 10 grand it was but it was closer to 10 than it was to 5.

Here in Spain everything has to have the CE stamp which requires extensive testing. This adds as much as a $1000.

So real price $5000

Snap-On profit(20%) 1000

Test 1000

Transport 500

Subtotal 7500

Tax (16%) 1200

Total Ouch 8700

Now! Does anybody want to buy my go-kart track?

And folks that is why Europe just dosen´t work. Now you know how they get gas up to $5./gal.

*89x2* said:
The Backyard Buddy pictured above, is still the current design.

I was hoping Ultgar (or someone else familiar w/ the lifts) would answer my questions or, calm concerns of placing a car 5 ft off the ground :confused

I am planning on buying a Backyard buddy once I finish my floor coatings - I would consider other lift designs although as designed the "BB" seems the sturdiest to me.

regards, *89x2*

**finger tapping**

...still waiting :(

The oma dual parking lift although interesting just does not show enough details on what I have seen so far - any other info or a factory website w/ specs and how it is secured?

*89x2* said:
**finger tapping**

QUOTE] Should I re-state my thoughts on ALI/ETL testing? Call the manufacturer and ask `em why they havn`t gone to the trouble/expense to test. Go back several posts to my thoughts above.

There's some fellows around here that service & install lifts. They also do a brisk business in good used lifts. About a month ago they installed two used Rotary lifts at Joe Gibbs Racing (nascar) shops near Charlotte ... outside ... just to wash dirty race car bottoms ... must be nice. A couple days later, they installed a very nice used 2-post Rotary inside my pals race shop ... $1500 turnkey ... although we had to run the 220v power to it. Kinda dirty but works great ... even on low circle track cars.
FYI:
Carolina Jack & Lift Inc.
217 S Sally Hill Rd
Timmonsville SC 29161
(843) 346-3286

JACK:gap

andrewcanada said:
*89x2* said:
**finger tapping**

QUOTE] Should I re-state my thoughts on ALI/ETL testing? Call the manufacturer and ask `em why they havn`t gone to the trouble/expense to test. Go back several posts to my thoughts above.

Thanks, I will check that out :)

Looks like one of the brands in the fleet dept. is Rotary - Been in the shop A LONG time. Website known??????
TIA :beer

I called Carolina Jack and Lift and spoke to Brandy. She shared some of her experience with me. As I thought, Bend Pack has quality control problems as well as premature wear on arms. She sells Hydralift, which is owned, I think, by SnapOn. I called them in Toronto and they sent me a couple of pages about their assym.symm. lift with the name Ammco. Napa sells them. they are ALI/ETL tested. Carolina sells them for 3k installed. Sounds like $2600 FOB. Just noticed no web address on faxed flyer.

Armchair quarterback speaking... Eagle has not submitted to ALI/ETL testing. I spoke to a "small" installler (see previous post). She told me that Bend Pak has cylinder and arm pivot problems. Other vendors/end users have told me that their equipment is "lightly" built in certain respects. For instance, a local maintenance facility had a 9k Autolifter from early `90`s. After it was destoyed in a fire, they bought another, same part no. This lift is weaker, and the mecanic is not comfortable working under it. They all go up and down, but like anything else, it`s all relative. If you`d compare your Eagle to another brand, maybe you,d find certain aspects that you were happier with. Here I go ranting off the topic. I bought my wife a `91 Accord with 300k one owner miles last summer. It`s in beautiful condition, but I like her `86 Hyundai Excel better. For instance, they`re both automatics:hb , but the Hyundai has a more satisfactory upshift. The seats are more comfortable, etc. I often times find myself wishing I could design certain things for a more user-friendly design. But I`m living in a dream world. I used to think that my observednis (new word?) would get me somewhere in life. Not a chance. Most people are sheep, influenced by what they`re told, see on TV or billboards. That`s my opinion. Anybody dare to argue, go ahead! :r Maybe I`ll learn something, but I doubt it. But I PROMISE to keep an open mind!;worship

I see what ya mean.The way I decide on any first purchase of large equipment is 1.does it do what I need(go up and down with out collapsing).2.sevice 3. price.Usually after I have learned more about the ins and outs of the equipment and feel Im due for a change,Ill upgrade.Your just going to buy the Cadillac before driving the nissan,and theres nothing wrong with that.I think its good to know what ya want and do alot of research before buying.Please remember,I use mine for a living so price was a factor in my puchase. :beer

I saw the Backyard Buddy being compared to another lift (4 post) at Carlisle last Spring and the BB clearly was a stronger design.
Have they submitted for testing?? Don't know - they say it is a meets or exceeds ANSI std's.
I thought for storing another vehicle under another, a 4 post lift would be the way to go (and do lght maint.) I have a 10 ft ceiling and could fit a 2 post lift but would feel " safer" w a solid 4 poster on the ground. The ones I have seen so far. personally, BB is the "best".
-Am I missing something here???

**Still waiting** for info on the oma lift :eyerole

I`m doing all this research for a coupla` reasons. (1) I`ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket, (2) I like talking on the phone. (3) I`m not self motivated enough to work on installing a new electric panel/cable TV wires in my (wifes) apt. building. (4) If and when I do buy something new, read full price, I usually research it to death. That`s why I usually buy "junk". If I was to buy a new Corvette, I would probably complain about tons of stuff. I bought a new Harley FATBOY, and even though I luv the whole Harley scene, I`ve got lots to whine about seeing as how I paid 20g`s. I`m happier with my $100 wrecks.:D

Have they submitted for testing?? Don't know - they say it is a meets or exceeds ANSI std's.
I thought for storing another vehicle under another, a 4 post lift would be the way to go (and do lght maint.) I have a 10 ft ceiling and could fit a 2 post lift but would feel " safer" w a solid 4 poster on the ground. The ones I have seen so far. personally, BB is the "best".
-Am I missing something here???

**Still waiting** for info on the oma lift :eyerole [/B]
You can`t work on a car as easily with a four poster.ANSI. I`m wracking my brain to figure out what it stands for. I think it is the most basic of construction standards. IT IS NOT WEIGHT/LOAD related. Carolina lifts told me she sent her installer to ETL`s testing facility and he was kinda` amused because the techs were dressed in three piece suits. He said they loaded the lifts until they distorted and or broke. It also costs big $$$. If I was in the market for a four poster, I would call BB. But my dear wife just woke up, and that electrical jobs just gotta` get done... :bash . Sen ULTRAGAR an email. He emailed me right away, but not to concerned about pushing a sale. His lifts have the most ut arm pad adjusters!

andrewcanada.... I moved your photo's to the appropriate Forum

Your photo's have been moved to "The Edge" forum

Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

ANSI is the American National Standards Institute - they establish testing standards for thousands of types of electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic devices used in industry.

One of the reasons I bought my Cytech Double-Park 7,000# capacity 4-post lift was that it was tested in accordance with the ANSI lift testing standard to 21,000# without failure.
:beer

So, if I have this right, ANSI establishes the testing standard, but ALI/ETL does the actual testing(of lifts?). Does this mean that ANSI allows companys to self test. I`d still like someone to call BackyardBuddy before I do.;help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom