Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garage "pits" - are they legal anymore and what dimensions would you do?

*89x2*

Just thinking out loud here ;) Any thoughts on this???? :m

All the "quick change" oil shops have them but of course they are commercial enterprises so I don't know if the building codes would be different for a private residence. I guess a call to the local building department would answer that question.
Anyhow, whether legal or not, if I build new again I would consider putting in a pit and keep it just between the builder and myself. When not in use I would cover with a grate and possibly a 3/4 inch piece of plywood.
Just my .02's

I wouldn't do it. The pits are notorious for being dirty and darn near impossible to clean, they can be unsafe due to the fact that fumes can collect in their lower depths, causing sickness or possible explosions, you have to be very careful with people around the pit, etc.. Get a lift instead.

where i live you can have a pit , if you don't have acetelyne .like the previous guy said the fumes collect.they are usually about 3 feet by 10 feet or so.
I fell in one as a kid,i thought it was the gateway to hell or something.I think i'll put in a hoist.mike
if you want a pit anyway, install a small bathroom fan at the dead bottom, this will take the air from the bottom of the pit and put it outside,my friend has one in his, and just flicks on the switch when he is going to use it.mike

I have the occasional use of a pit in a friends garage, he sunk a large stainless steel tub into the ground. It works ok and is easily cleaned if any oil is spilt. Initially he just had a brick construction but got fed up pumping it out every time he wanted to use it.

J.

I figured that this (In addition to a lift - 4 post) would be useful :confused

I figured a drain in the floor and keeping it vented would help - worst thing we have in ground is asbestos (not in my area though) and radon gasses :eek

I figured it couldn't be too deep still - Alumn. diamond plates to cover when not in use - Keep the great input coming :beer

In my town, they wanted engineered drawings for a pit, plus it was required to be connected to the sewer, or sump pump.

With the cost of the additional approvals, and drawing, and cement, and labor.... Yup! going with a lift.

I added an extra 1 1/2 Feet to the roof.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom