Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! gas fumes when parking in garage

V

VETTE1973

When I drive my 1973 Vette and come home and park in garage I get gas smell all the time in the garage. Do I need to rebuild the carb. or is there something else causing this. I have only had the car a few weeks. Thanks for any ideas

It may just be the fuel left in the carb evaporating. Since most carboureted cars don't have evaporator canisters you will still smell a tinge of fuel in the air. Personally I like it and a freshly run old car is one of those smells that I don't think I'll ever want to forget.

If it's a really heavy smell of gas, far stronger than just residual, check for leaks around the fuel tank, fuel pump and carb. the rubber lines degrade after time and can leak as I've replaced mine when I found that out :)

Well there are a lot of possibilities. First off though, I think old cars have more odor than do new cars, so expect some oil/gas fragrances. That said, it shouldn't be a strong smell.

I had the same with my 73. It got better after I rebuilt the Holley, and seemed pretty much cured after I changed the needle valves in the carb (should have done that at the same time as rebuilding - cheapskate!)

Can you provide more information about the car, especially how stock is it, is all the emissions kit present and so on?

John

Check your charcoal canister hoses including the activation line. If it's not working, it will never get purged and will eventually fill up and you can smell it.

Far as I know everything is stock, have not had a chance to check it over real good. I have not checked for any emissions kit items but have thought it. It has a 4 barrel carb quadrajet.

Mine did the same thing and after spending countless hours of searching for the source it ended up being the gasket between the gas tank and the filler neck.Hope yours is easier to find.

Take it to a shop that has a smoke machine used for checking vacume leaks ect.All they do is pump smoke in under 2 psi and check for a leak.

As above, there could be many causes for the smell, but rebuilding the carb solved my gas smell problem.

Mine did that last fall, finally tracked it down to the fuel tank supply hose had a leak. It would drip fuel in my spare tire pan so I would not see anything on the floor, just smell it until it evaportated. Small fix you can do yourself. If I can anybody can. Longer you have it the more youll fix on it yourself.

Check your charcoal canister hoses including the activation line. If it's not working, it will never get purged and will eventually fill up and you can smell it.
I replaced the filter on the evap canister and reconnected it with new hoses and the problem was solved.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom