Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Gauge

I have had both senders replaced 4 times in the last 3 years. They last from 1 to 6 Mos. and then go out. I have tried Shell, Exon, and Chevron no help. At this time my car is acting up again, but now the warr is out.

About 3 months back the gauge on our 03 went to empty and stayed there for a while even after filling it up - it had about 1/4 before and full after - then it started working again. My dealer checked the codes and one sender unit was listed as being bad. That unit was replaced and it's been working fine since. The car is 16 months old and has 13K miles on it.

A few years ago, we had a 98. It went 2+ years before we sold it and never have a gas gauge problem. We replaced ignition key switch and the steering wheel position sensor however.

I have also read a software update is available that allows a larger discrepancy between the 2 sending units before calling it quits and sending the gauge to zero . This is what usually happens when one sender gets coated with gas by-product deposits. The first solution was replace the sender but they just get out of sync again. So allowing them to be out of sync a little more and estimating the actual level is the new solution which keeps them in service longer. If the senders are just shifting calibration a fixed amount from the deposits, this could work. But if they continue to drift further apart it only keeps them in service a little longer. I don't know the answer to that one.

Fuel Gauge Problem

I just recently bought a 97 and the same thing happened to me. Whenever I fill the tank up the gauge will quit working (and the dash will light up) until the fuel level gets to about 1/2 tank. This has been consistant for two months solid. I did some reading on the internet and found some possible solutions. The easiest was putting Techron fuel cleaner in your tank. I tried this and sure enough it worked. I am on my third tank of gas with no problems (I used just one can). I do believe it is a sulpher issue with a poor sender unit design. Try it for $5, you may be surprised.

Gas Guage

I'm new at this so please let me know if I don't follow protocols. My 2000 had the same thing happen to me last August in the middle of nowhere. To say the least I was worried since the next gas station or any civilization was 50 miles. The problem would be intermittent. I tried gas cleaner, but that didn't help. Both Sending units (the c5 has two gas tanks) and the fuel pump were replaced. I should have bought the extended warrenty. The cost was 1350.00. So far I have been letting the gas go nearly empty every time I fill it up and it's been working.

I currently have a problem with the Drivers side door not wanting to unlock with the remote or the switch. It too was intermittent, but now it just quit. any ideas?

>>>>>putting Techron fuel cleaner in your tank. I tried this and sure enough it worked. I am on my third tank of gas with no problems (I used just one can).<<<<<

Please keep us posted. If it works for another three tanks of gas...I'll try it!

I also used techron to fix my problem. However I also researched and changed to a low sulphur fuel.

Many high quality fuels also have high sulphur content. The lowest sulphur content I found was in BP Ultimate which is also a high octane rated fuel. BP Ultimate has sulphur at about 50 ppm whereas most other fuels simply meet the regulations and have around 500 ppm.

So far the problem has not re-occurred. Check out the sulphur content of the fuels you use. Pick the lowest sulphur content you find and not one that just meets the regulated levels.

Thank you. From now on I will try to use as much BP as I can.

Re: Gas Guage

schmaltzr said:
I currently have a problem with the Drivers side door not wanting to unlock with the remote or the switch. It too was intermittent, but now it just quit. any ideas?

I had the same problem last month with the passenger door. Intermittent for a few months then quit. Dealer had to replace the Body Control Module in the door. If it's not working for the remote and wired/switch, the BCM is the problem.

Carmen

ZEDohSIX said:
I also used techron to fix my problem. However I also researched and changed to a low sulphur fuel.

Many high quality fuels also have high sulphur content. The lowest sulphur content I found was in BP Ultimate which is also a high octane rated fuel. BP Ultimate has sulphur at about 50 ppm whereas most other fuels simply meet the regulations and have around 500 ppm.

So far the problem has not re-occurred. Check out the sulphur content of the fuels you use. Pick the lowest sulphur content you find and not one that just meets the regulated levels.

How do you find out the sulfer content of each gas stations gas? Is it posted at the pump? I do believe it is the sulpher as well, however, I am limited to the number of stations in my area.

In my case I had to research the fuel manufacturers web sites and material safety forms. In other cases actually ringing them to ask (most have a fuel technical help line). I have never seen the sulphur content listed at the pump.

I have done a bit of research for you about BP Ultimate in the USA and it seems much harder to actually get the data.

For example here is the data from BP Ultimate USA:

http://cleanerfuels.bp.com/usa/index.htm

And some press releases:

http://www.socialfunds.com/news/release_print.cgi?sfArticleId=1154

BTW: I am not a tree hugger nor associated with BP. I just want my vette to run without problems!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom