Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Gauge

69/99

Corvette
1969 coupe, 1999 convertible, 2018 Z06
I was out driving my 99 C5 yesterday when suddenly I heard a chime and my DIC flashed check gauges, low fuel. The fuel guage read empty even though I had a half tank. I pulled over and shut off the engine. When I restarted the engine everything went back to normal. I read somewhere before in this forum of other C5 owners having a similar problem. I would appreciate anyone sharing their similar problems and let me know if this is an ongoing problem and how do you fix it.

Hi there,
There is a TSB for this condition, and your c5 dealer will know about it.
In essence, you replace the passenger side tank sending unit.
Hope this helps, besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Yep, c4c5 is correct. I had the dealer replace mine just a week ago as it was faulty. Now the gadge is working correctly, pretty much anyway. When the tank was full, the gadge went to 3/4 2 days after they replaced the fuel sender. Do they need to replace the left one now? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I just read the TSB and realize this is a pretty common problem with the c5. How much did your dealer charge you to replace your sending unit and how long was the car tied up? Thanks for your info.

I had the exact same problem. Dealer fixed it under warranty. BOTH senders, left and right, were replaced. It took overnite, although I assume if they started the job early enough, you should (or could) get the car back the same day.

The problem, as I understand it, is related to high sulphur content in the fuel in conjuction with poor quality control by the sender manufacturer. If your car was built in late Sept. '01 thru mid Oct.' 01, you could develop the problem.

Since just the guage reading is out, there's no drivabilty issue. Just keep enough petrol in the tanks until you can get it fixed.

Yeah, the same thing just happened to me; annoying to have to look at that "Check Gages" light and keep resetting the "Low Fuel" warning on the DIC. If GM's issued a TSB, the problem seems to eventually find its way to my car. Just had to have the steering column lock by-passed not even a month ago. It's my money pit, but I love it.

If you have an extended warranty, it is covered by it. If not it will cost you about $300.

No extended warranty. Just recently bought the car right after the original warranty ended. Looks like its out of my pocket.

69/99 said:
No extended warranty. Just recently bought the car right after the original warranty ended. Looks like its out of my pocket.
Sorry to hear of that. At least it will be fixed.

GM says alot of this problem has to do with the fuels we use.
I had this happen to my wife a couple of weeks ago. (We just got this car (98) also and it happened a day or so after we got it freeked her out she thought all the gas was leaking out!!!)anyway they say deposits from the fuel cause alot of it so I thought I'd run some cleaner through it BG 44k ran two cans through in two tanks hasn't even thought about happening again since it's your money it's probably worth a try! I do have a service contract but it's always a hasse1 to take it in. Good Luck!

Thanks I think I will try it as well. I didn't think you were suppose to use any of that stuff in the Vette. Is that true?

I just used some Techron in mine and it hasn't seemed to hurt it. Does anyone know which gas if any makes this condition worse or better?

Hi there,
As far as fuel tank additives, the only thing that should really be put in, is 12345515 fuel system cleaner.
This is usually only used when there may be an rough idle condition.
Additives will NOT assist in the fuel gauge issue that those posting here are experiencing.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Just got my 2000 back today from the dealer, 2nd fix on this. Pulling out of the parking lot at 5:30 just before the Thanksgiving weekend, I see it still reads empty. Thought what the hell, maybe I am out of gas. Filled it up and !damn! still reads empty.

I'm beginning to think it's not fixable; and yes, I only use top grade gas from the Chevron or 76. No generic.

Grrr....

My 98 automatic convertible has the gas gauge problem as well. Anyone know the service bulletin numbers? part numbers? When I call and cajole/beg Chevy to fix something, I find it is helpful to have all the info BEFORE I call.

The good people at Chevy repaired my steering column lock for free despite being no longer warrantied. Corvette Action Center deserves much of the credit.

Terry

We had the same problem as well; brought the car in to a "reputable" dealership; see "Garage Horror Story" in this same forum. This is a GM defect...even if you are not covered under the warranty, GM should fix it free of charge.

The worst part of my story now - again, after you have read my previous post - Garage Horror Story - is that the problem never was fixed. The gas tank is still not registering properly.

Our saga continues...

Yes. I read your garage horror story. Pretty nasty. And I found the Service bulletin numbers on an earlier thread. Why don't the big Corvette catalogs offer IMPROVED replacement parts to fix common re-occurring problems? Seems to me the market research has been done: they just have to visit here. The steering column problem, the trunk pop-up problem, and the gas gauge sending unit...all would make for best sellers, if they were offered as re-engineered after-market parts.

I hate the idea of just re-installing another defective gas sending unit.

Go to your local chevy dealer and have them look up bulletin #01-06-04-022. This bulletin addresses the gas gauge problem with the c5's, it involves changing one or possibly both sending units in the tank. HTH

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom