Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Hand Gauge & Squeaky Noise under hood

55OHNO

Corvette
2000 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe
I have 2 questions, 1st one...Does anyone have any idea what this squeaking noise might be when car is first started? It sounds like a belt of some sort that needs a lubricant, but we tried that and it only lasted fr a very short time, about a couple of hours, then the noise came back,
Question # 2
Also has anyone had trouble with their
fuel gauge ? It seems to register low fuel when there is gas in the car,there's enough fuel where it should NOT be reading low fuel.
Help !!!
I have not driven the car as much as I would have liked to, I purchased the car in August of 2003, which means it was not driven during the winter months, But now that the weather is getting better I will be driving it more often.Do you think these issues could be because of lack of driving the car or maybe even a tune-up ? I've only put about 3,000 miles on it since August 2003.
HELP

squeaking noise only when you start and then disappears? if so, sounds like the heat shield is possibly loose, which is a known problem

fuel gauge going haywire is also a known problem

check the archives for 1997-2004

There are some common issues with C5 Corvettes. One involves the serpentine belts and belt tensioners. When the belt is worn, the tensioner shot or overtorqued, there can be a squeak or chirp when the car is started that gets better as it warms up.

The fuel guage issue is a well documented problem. There is a reprogram that can be done by the dealer that may correct the problem. If not, then the sending unit could be the issue. Try the 'knowledgebase' section of this site for more information, or do a search to find other similar threads.

55OHNO said:
I have 2 questions, 1st one...Does anyone have any idea what this squeaking noise might be when car is first started? It sounds like a belt of some sort that needs a lubricant, but we tried that and it only lasted fr a very short time, about a couple of hours, then the noise came back,
Question # 2
Also has anyone had trouble with their
fuel gauge ? It seems to register low fuel when there is gas in the car,there's enough fuel where it should NOT be reading low fuel.
Help !!!
I have not driven the car as much as I would have liked to, I purchased the car in August of 2003, which means it was not driven during the winter months, But now that the weather is getting better I will be driving it more often.Do you think these issues could be because of lack of driving the car or maybe even a tune-up ? I've only put about 3,000 miles on it since August 2003.
HELP
Serpentine belts have a tendency to develop squeaks after a couple years. Especially if the car has been sitting a lot. Change the belt. Make sure you get the GM part, don't buy an aftermarket. I'd be willing to bet the noise will go away.
Best, Glenn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom