Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas mileage

D

dramo1

1986 coupe 77000 i am getting 13.5 to 14 miles per gallon is that normal

the car has your standard mods ..flowmaster exaust k&n filter

I have a 1991 with 45k miles and autobox.

I usually get 15-18 mpg combined city/highway depending on how aggressive I get.

I think yours just needs a tuneup: new air filter, spark plugs, maybe new ignition system (dist., wires, timing). Its mileage is pretty close to EPA rating.

my 90 with the six speed seldom gets less than 20 with 15 to 35 mile runs.
all city with poor gas down as low as 15.
Glenn
:w

1986 convertible, stock with exception of exhuast, I get consistent 29 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg city if I take it easy.

lagasvd said:
1986 convertible, stock with exception of exhuast, I get consistent 29 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg city if I take it easy.
i usually take my all original 89 vert. out 1 to two times a week. i average 15 to 30 miles a trip, average speed 30 to 90 miles an hour. average gas mileage shows 20.5 to 21 mpg. yours seems extremly low. start with gas filter, then plugs, perhaps air filter,

Dramo, If you live in NYC (Brooklyn,Queens,Bronx,Manhattan even Staten Island) your gas mileage is probably the right number as low as it may seem to others on this board. You have traffic up the you know what and untimed traffic lights to boot. Take the car for a nice ride to upstate NY on the thruway or in NJ down the parkway. When you do this reset your fuel mileage gauge and you should see your mileage jumpt to 18-22 mpg's. If it doesnt then do the old fashioned tune up. I get @ 18 but drive on highways and nice county roads. I have family in Staten Island and mileage does suffer there.

Anthony

A good tuneup will get that mileage back up. All the filters, PCV, plugs, wires, oil, etc...

I get about 17 avg. and that's with some spurts of aggressive driving.

Combined city and high way driving, I average between 19 and 19.5 mpg, this is more then I imagined I would get, because I am not exactly what you would call stock. Follow the above mentioned suggestions, and you should be fine. You could also try switching brands of gasoline.

Edmond said:
I get about 17 avg. and that's with some spurts of aggressive driving.

Thats usually what I get aswell. And I do give the odd pedal to the floor!:D

Just for comparison my 92 auto coupe averages 24 mpg driving to work and back, mostly 60 mph and very few stops on a tank of fuel. I've received as high as 26 mpg on a tank and that was just going to work and running a few errands for the week of driving. This is country driving (no stop lights and very few stops) I think the car is in it's element at this speed (60 mph) as compared to 70 or 75, that is for fuel economy only and no spirited driving.

For a counter point, I have seen 17 mpg average on a tank of fuel and that included many bursts of (for lack of a better term) spirited driving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom