Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas prices changing anything?

I like to look at a week or two at a time. Try to make a big loop and make all the necessary stops in one pass. Even if I have to take the pickup to get all the stuff it is worth it. My '92 will probably see more use as it gets the best mileage of anything I own.

People need to sit down and think about trading for cars. Run the numbers or have someone run the numbers for you if that's not your bag. It just doen't make any sense financially to dump the SUV for a Cobalt. It takes a long time to recover the thousands it will cost you to trade. If your trading cycle is up I would extend it for another year if you can. We may not like these prices but we will get used to them and the hysteria will die down. Then you may get a decent trade. I would guess right now that SUV/Pickup trade allowances are down sustantially.

Hang in there pardner! Vettes will run until they shut the tap off completely!

The way the prices are now I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle. I have to drive about 35 miles one way every day! The only cars I have are a '82 Vette,a '86 Vette, and a '96 Camaro{wifey's car}.Hell, Kawasaki Ninja here I come!!!!

jiangtao said:
The way the prices are now I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle. I have to drive about 35 miles one way every day! The only cars I have are a '82 Vette,a '86 Vette, and a '96 Camaro{wifey's car}.Hell, Kawasaki Ninja here I come!!!!

I was hoping my wife would fall for that line, but she wanted to know what I was going to do when it snowed;LOL

cjs2 said:
Went for a ride down the shore today

I see your location is New Jersey, good News! You can now remove that from your info, cause anyone talking of down the shore shure is from The Garden State ;LOL

I bet your 86 is purty, but now that it's over 10,000 mi. you can start enjoying her with a little more frequency ;) Member, you should get her up to full operating temp with some frequency to make her last forever :)

Mine's a daily driver, and also gets the best milage of any vehicle I own including the motorcycle! Being miserly enough to own any Vette, I have already been in the habit of making all trips count and not doing unneccesary running around, so I'm really feeling the brunt of it, and I'll have to find some other ways to conserve :cry

While it's not easy at 70 mi. roundtrip to work, at least I only have to do it 10 days a month, and my family and the ones I love afre safe and healthy. From that perspective I feel fortunate, and some how will find some way to contribute to those whose lives have been destroyed by this unimaginable (for us in the US) catastrophe :w

These gas prices are outrageous but what ya gonna do. I have a 77 Pontiac Grand Prix, my 84 Vette and an 05 Toyota Matrix 4wd. I can't fill em all so I am selling the GP as it only gets 11 mpg. Wife fills her own car which is an 04 Matrix 4wd. I am not gonna slow down on driving the Vette. I enjoy it too much.

:beer

It'll go down a bit after the holiday, and down more, after the gulf coast refineries/pipelines come back on line. A lot of these high prices are due to price gouging...you know it, I know it, heck, the government knows it, but the Fed has bigger fish to fry right now. Just limit your driving as much as possible. Easier said than done, but it is doable.

Guy said:
It's not so much the gas prices, since our C5 get's up to 33mpg on trips, however, it's the winter heating oil I'm worried about.
Guy

It's impossible for a C5 to get 33mpg. Going downhill, maybe.

tyrel said:
It's impossible for a C5 to get 33mpg. Going downhill, maybe.

Actually, 33MPG is VERY doable with a C5. Good friend of mine has an 02 Z06, and gets anywhere between 32 and 34 MPG religeously if he drives conservatively, and uses the cruise. Heck, I averaged 29.4 with my 91, on a 3000 mile trip this spring, driving responsibly, and using my cruise. Just because it's a Corvette, doesn't mean you're required to drive it like you stole it. 85+ C4's and C5's are really economical cars if you drive them like a sane person.:w

*89x2* said:
dropped to $2.79 gal - prem 93 today :cool

Only thing high gas prices change, is how much $ I have at the end of the day :eyerole

Hell, I can't even get regular for that here, and our refineries are obviously not effected :W

gas here today reg 3.29 prem 3.49... from what I understand one family owns 4 of the seven gas stations here, heating oil went through the roof, so I turned off my monitor (oil fired stove) and cut two cords of firewood and have another two to cut up. that should last me.....

my vette gets 24 plus, my Bronco gets 9, I drive the vette as much as possible just as normal. If gas keeps going up at this pace it will slow the economy.

gas prices/supply?

Do the words " aint got none" mean anything? Our county, is out!
Hernando Cty, Fl. News, we are out of gas! None to buy. A truck pulls in to the station to deliver gas with 500 cars following it. All pumped out in 3 or 4 hours.
I watched some A'Hole, wait to fill up. He only took 4 gals. What a jerk.
AND! That is the problem. People topping off.
Talked to the dealer. He said he is selling more now than before the storm.
Buy it today? No, I'll wait, thank you.

I gotta say, driving my vette is better on gas than driving my truck (1993 Chevy V-8 w/6" lift)!!!!!!!! :ugh

cjs2 said:
Fortunately I have a company car for work, but I foresee them imposing new usage restrictions soon! Either that or they start pulling cars back!

I do not have a company car but I get an allowance and company gas card. Just rcvd an email to use the phone more vs. hitting the pavement to save on gas

Motorcycle or Corvette?

I started to ride the motorcycle a little more, but since I just had my 88 vette painted recently I couldn't resist the pull to dry it :lou . I will just have to save money some where else. Who needs to eat 3 times a day anyways;LOL

Sat traffic on the Maine turnpike down 53% from last years Labor day Sat.I'm seeing a lot of c-5's on the road lately.It will be intreasting as to prices two weeks from now.

This is sad. Gas here (Baltimore) is more expensive than Ca. $3.39 regular on avg.

And what's worse is that my favorite package goods store raised its beer prices because they're afraid their supplier is going to hit them with a big fuel surcharge.

[RICHR]

Yes, I had to change my driving position. I no longer drive with both feet flat on the floor. Also dwell time in gear has drastically grown shorter. Not as much

:lou :lou :lou :lou :lou :lou

So I guess I'll do it hear instead.

wannavette said:
I got mine out yesterday and realized that I'm just under 1/2 tank. So now I will resist driving till I can't stand it. I can't justify dropping the $ it will now take to fill her up just to pleasure drive.

Absolutely my driving habits have changed. Instead of taking the Vette to work, I'm taking the Saturn. Instead of filling up every 5 days with 15 gallons of premium, I'm filling up every 7 days with 8 gallons of regular. THREE TIMES less gas. Save the vette for the weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom