Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas prices changing anything?

wannavette

Corvette
1986 silver metallic coupe
I got mine out yesterday and realized that I'm just under 1/2 tank. So now I will resist driving till I can't stand it. I can't justify dropping the $ it will now take to fill her up just to pleasure drive.

Hi:

I drove mine to a cruise in last night and it got a little above a half, so I stopped on the way home and filled it...$41 for 11.8 gallons, phew...but that won't stop me from driving it, I only put 650 miles on it in a year so what the heck! But in the real world of driving the family cars I am definately going to limit unnecessary driving!!

markone

I'm definitely limiting my driving - I was going to do at least one or two more dragstrip nights but not now... and I'm trying to keep my current 1/2 tank for as long as possible (or until the prices get down to the PREVIOUS ridiculous level).
[RICHR]

Mine is a daily driver and my driving habits have changed to a lighter foot on the go-juice and only taking neccessary trips in addition to trying to complete all shopping at once or on the same day.

No more runs-to-DQ for a sundae on a whim.
Heidi

Alan and I are starting to think about bringing both Corvettes to all the shows we do all over New England since it is not unusual for us to do a 350-400 mile round trip!! You can do the arithmetic, I'm sure, with premium gas!:)

We'll see!

Elaine

It's not so much the gas prices, since our C5 get's up to 33mpg on trips, however, it's the winter heating oil I'm worried about. With a 4000 sqf ranch with an in-law apt, the oil bills are going to be a bear. With elderly in the apt, we can only turn down the thermostat so much. I'm looking into an outdoor furnace & cutting wood this winter.

:w
Guy

Well since i get 18-22 mpg with the 73 its not that bad but having 3 cars to fill every week,it does take a toll.

Well I certainly felt the heat last night. I finally got the car back, and I wanted to drive obviously. I was on a quarter of a tank. Decided I would bit the bullet and fill it. I spent 55.50 on gas. How crazy is that. I am still going to drive it because it gets the best fuel mileage of my vechicles.

Let's see. A Jeep, a Tahoe, A boat, and now the vette. Ok, I'm going to go broke. Funny thing was that my wife told me gas on the water was like 5 bucks a gallon. I go to the gas station with gas cans, one springs a leak, I have to transfer the gas to another tank. Gas all over the place. Fill the boat up, cruise past the gas station. It's only ten cents more a gallon there. Was I ****ed, nah.

During this difficult post-hurricane period I am keeping the miles down. What I am really interested in is seeing how the lifting of certain of the environmental restrictions on gasoline blends affects supply. Currently, refiners have to blend different gasolines for different parts of the country, and long before the hurricane people were saying much more gas could be refined if these restrictions were lifted. There is also a lot of foreign gasoline supply comming in, and with the deliveries from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve I am wondering whether some of these fuels costs could, in fact, really fall in the not-too-distant future. Currently, we have about 40 million MORE barrels of oil in the national inventory than we had last year!

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Chris Kennedy said:
Currently, we have about 40 million MORE barrels of oil in the national inventory than we had last year!

The "panic" is being caused by the temporary shutdown of the ports south of New Orleans. The off-shore platforms that got damaged don't contribute significantly to our supply, but 15% of domestic and 30% of foreign oil comes into two ports by the mouth of the Mississippi. They're currently without power, as is part of the pipeline, but they expect to have basic pumping restored within a couple days and be back to at least 50% capacity within a week or so (barring anything unforseen, of course). Because less oil is moving, people think we're going to run out, panic, and buy all at once - so some stations actually DO run out as a result, but only for a day or so. And since the demand is so high, prices go up...

[RICHR]

Luckily, I happened to fill up just before the big jump :J. Premium is within spittin' distance of $4 per gallon. I am still going to cut back tho. I may even put it up for winter a month early if fuel doesn't come back down to pre-panic levels.

At least I can still wax it and look longingly at it. The true test will be next spring. If fuel costs don't reverse, I may just have to put it on the market.

I am definitely cutting back on my other driving and thankful I don't own an SUV. That scares me at the gas station when I'm crabbing about $35 and they take on a load for $70! :eek

I'am just 17, so haveing a car is really hard now, first getting a car is hard enough then add unbelievable insurace costs and now gas, my job just pays for all of it:crazy I don't know how kids my age can drive today, I know I'am only driving because my parents gave me their old car, if I had a car payment with this gas spike I would have to stop driving

I filled up with Sunoco 94 Octane this morning at $U.S.4.61 a U.S. gallon. Drove the 502 c.i. big-block over 60 miles to the cottage and had to travel at 85 mph just to keep up with traffic.

Okay, closer to 95 sometimes. :gap

Hey, it's only money. I'm goin' out with a bang, not a whimper.

Zoom....zoom. :D

Friday night gas was 2.79...today it is 3.09...filled my truck up (duel tanks) just under a hundred dollars...Today I took the Corvette out...it already had a full tank...I used about a half tank, then parked it...

What I don't understand is the oil companies are all saying its a supply and and demand thing...Well I got a fuel bill for #2 oil yesterday...The cost was 2.59 a gallon...last year it was 1.79. How much demand is their to justify an 80 cent jump for fuel oil...I know trucks run on the stuff...but millions upon millions of houses do NOT use a whole lot of fuel during the summer.

Gas is going down a bit. From $3.19 to $3.09 to $3.05.

It sure has changed something for me. Instead of driving to the train station, I'm going to start riding a bike. Bought me one yesterday at Target for $40. It was only a 9 mile round trip each day plus $1.00 for all day parking. But it's also getting to the point of principle.

Went for a ride down the shore today, found a gas station with Premium at $3.26. I was at just under 1/2 a tank, so I pulled in and filled up. $37.00. In my area it is $3.49, so my little road trip saved me a couple bucks, and I got 26 MPG on the road (50 mile trip one way). I am not going to park her, I bought her to drive and drive I will. Although my wife and I talked about trading in our V8 SUV for a car. Not sure that will happen.

Fortunately I have a company car for work, but I foresee them imposing new usage restrictions soon! Either that or they start pulling cars back!

Oh, and a side note - I rolled 10,000 miles on my 86 today. I did enjoy telling people she had less then 10,000 miles at 19 years old - but whatcha gonna do!!!???

No, but I do not like the price I have to pay.
Took her out three times today, to nice of a day not to.

Janine :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom