Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas tank access??

S

Sean M

This question may sound stupid but how do you get access to the fuel tank line connection on a 61 vintage. I have replaced the line all the way from the pump back to the connection just in front of the tank and can see it go up toward the tank but cannot access the tank connection where I believe I have a sediment clog from sitting for 12 years. I see an access to the drain plug but not to the pickup connection.

Sean M said:
This question may sound stupid...

Sean, have you heard of the expression, "The only stupid question is the one that goes un-asked"? The same applies here; there is no such thing as a stupid question. I may not have an answer for your question, but somebody here will.

59Tom should have a response for you; he usually checks in late in the day. ;)

Sean, The pick-up tube is part of the float meter, or guage that measures the level in the tank. It is accessable under the Convertable top, under the Tank cover. The meter assembly goes in from the top of the tank. The meter assembly should have a "sock" on the end of it, if the car has set for some time it may be cracked and deteriated and allowed sediment to form in the pick up tube. I have a frame setting complete, waiting for the body to get painted and a mud dobber built a nest in the fuel line. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get gas to the carb, as this was all new lines................I hope this helps......Steve

beat me to it.

Steve has had a few of these apart lately and knows all. Don't you just love those wasps? Compared to the newer Corvettes ('63 and up) the solid axle is a piece of cake to service the fuel tank. All can be done from the convertible top compartment except the frame lines. Those plastic socks deteriorate over time and my wife tells me that they should be replaced every 5 years,(I think) especially in your newer fuel injected cars.

Tom

Sean, if you lift the lid for the covertible top and look down underneath the felt where the soft top sits when down, you'll notice a panel that is screwed down. Upon removing this panel you will be looking at the top of the gas tank with easy access to the sending unit and lines. Sal

Re: tank access

rd62rdstr said:
Sean, if you lift the lid for the covertible top and look down underneath the felt where the soft top sits when down, you'll notice a panel that is screwed down. Upon removing this panel you will be looking at the top of the gas tank with easy access to the sending unit and lines. Sal

Thanks Sal. I actually found it and after hours and HOURS of working on the pickup tube I cleared the obstruction which was solidified 12 year old gas!! That was the last obstacle in waking my vette from it's 12 year slumber and it is now running like a charm!! The inside of the tank anfter being drained looked good except for some rust above the line where the old fuel sat I bet that gas was purchased for under $1.00 a gallon!! I replaced the steel lines to the pump with rubber fuel hose at least temporarily and will solvent them clear of residue/sludge and I smartly added an in line filter to the hose just in fron of the rear axle where the line meets the frame. This way I can easily access it for roadside changing and filter out and rust, etc.. for a few tanks without sending it to pump. After a couple filter changes and tank fulls it shouls be fine. I see your 62 has very low original miles. I have 58,000 orig. Soom to be 59 or 60 now that it's moving!

Sean

gas tank

Sean I went through the same thing with my 62. I ended up having to remove the tank and had it professionally cleaned out inside after which they applied a coating. Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to do this on your own. Use a mixture of muratic acid and water (about 2 gallons acid to the full tank of water), let it sit a few hours. After draining and flushing thoroughly, let dry for a day or two. Eastwood sells a coating for the inside of your tank, it will seal in any thing thats left and keep it from coming back. Good luck with your car. I drive mine quite often also. It had 31,000 on it when i bought it. I had an old man get mad at me and tell me that I shouldn't take chances driving the car around. It should be home in the garage rather than left in the parking lot at the grocery store. I told him that if I had wanted something to LOOK at, I could have bought a picture for much less! Sal

I agree the vettes need to be driven! Although Larry doesn't let me drive his 62. :eek Something about the gears being to close or something. I do drive all the others though, so I really can't complain. :) He did run it out of gas the night he bought it. We purchased the car in Austin, Tx and drove it 250 miles home. A 62 doesn't make it that far on a single tank of gas. ;) He found out the gas gauge doesn't work that way. Imagine that he got mad at me though because I was driving my suburban and didn't realize that he might need gas when we were almost home. The car died on him and he couldn't figure out why. After about 4 minutes I asked him could it be out of gas, he said the gauge didn't show empty, how far had we driven? I checked my trip meter and we'd driven 237 miles. I drove back to the town we'd just passed through about 5 miles bought a gas can and 5 gallons of gas. He's never lived down that day. :W:

Her 92 said:
I agree the vettes need to be driven! Although Larry doesn't let me drive his 62. :eek Something about the gears being to close or something. I do drive all the others though, so I really can't complain. :) He did run it out of gas the night he bought it. We purchased the car in Austin, Tx and drove it 250 miles home. A 62 doesn't make it that far on a single tank of gas. ;) He found out the gas gauge doesn't work that way. Imagine that he got mad at me though because I was driving my suburban and didn't realize that he might need gas when we were almost home. The car died on him and he couldn't figure out why. After about 4 minutes I asked him could it be out of gas, he said the gauge didn't show empty, how far had we driven? I checked my trip meter and we'd driven 237 miles. I drove back to the town we'd just passed through about 5 miles bought a gas can and 5 gallons of gas. He's never lived down that day. :W:

I had the same thing happen to me when I bought a '74 K5 Blazer. The gas guage read full, and I specifialy asked the guy I bought the truck from if the guage worked (cause none of the other gauges worked) and he swore up and down that yes it did. So, the day after I bought it, with half a tank of gas in the truck, my Girlfriend and I get in it and head to the airport cause she had to go back home. We are crusing down the highway when it starts sputtering. It took me a second but I figured it out, we where out of gas. Boy I was :mad. I knew the truck needed some TLC but the guy straight out lied to me about the guage! After that day my Girlfriend never rode in the truck again.

Jason

Jason,
I gladly ride in the 62, I just check to be sure when the last time wast the Larry filled up. ;) :W:

Oh yes!

I have a sure fire trick...

Since my 62 has a unreliable gauge, I just fill er up every 100 miles. Never had a problem, and since driving her is nothing quite like Donna's 300M, I am always glad for a chance to get out and stretch (plus it gives people a chance to make me feel good by coming over and discussing the car!

Lastly, it keeps the tank full (which cuts down on condensation and rust) and keeps the old gas fresher (less exposure to air)

See ya at the pump!

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom