Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas tank pressure?

Bobs1977

Corvette
91 red coupe
when I open the gas cap to refuel I get a pressure release sound from the tank.. Is this normal and if not what seems to be the cause . other wise the car runs perfect. It has only 16k miles . thank you..

That is normal. In fact most gas caps have a warning printed on then that states " Open carefully, contents may be under pressure" or something to that effect.
EPA mandates that the tank not be open to atmosphere.

yep, normal...the fuel pump sends more fuel up front than the engine will ever use... excess is returned under reduced pressure to the tank...release from the small volume of the return pipe to the large volume tank produces a spray and ''low boilers'' in the gasoline will vaporize instantaneously...holding the tank under positive pressure prevents loss of these ''low boilers'' to atmosphere,which would reduce power output of the remaining component when ultimately burned and also generate emissions.

fuel ''slosh'' during vehicle operation can often deposit liquid gasoline on the underside of the tank cap/ threaded inlet...rapid release of the tank pressure can carry liquid out.

if your efi vehicle does not breathe a sigh of relief when you unscrew the cap, ''sumpthin's wrong'' :ugh

when I open the gas cap to refuel I get a pressure release sound from the tank.. Is this normal and if not what seems to be the cause . other wise the car runs perfect. It has only 16k miles . thank you..

thanks for the info .. tha's a releif to hear that this is normal..I love this car..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom