Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas

S

snow0925

Here in the Philadelphia area, for the most part, we have only three octane ratings 87,89 or 93. No 91, which is what GM recommends for the vette. Is it OK to alternate between the 89 and 93?? Or can I get away with using the 89 octane.... or should I always use the 93??? Many Thanks!!

gas and stuff

the different octane ratings are a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation...

the temperatures associated with higher compression engines (like the engines in the mighty corvette) are just that - higher... the higher temps can predetonate the fuel - which is bad.. recall that higher pressures yield higher temperatures... this is where octane comes into the equation..

the higher the octance, the higher the fuel's resistance to detonation... if GM recommends 91 octane fuel - use it! 93 is cool to use too... avoid going any lower, to be on the safe side....

you have heard stories of guys with old school tractors and cars with ultra low compression ratios, i.e., 6:1... man they can put anything into those things - if it burns, the engine will run... you know that i am talking about - stories of people running engines off of moonshine, etc... hehe there is virtually no risk of detonation with compression ratios that low...

i hope i was able to help...

geof

I use a mix of 87 ('coz its cheap) and 92 in my C5. No problems so far.

Here in California we have no higher than 91, so that is what I use. I will put in 89 once every 5 or 6 fill ups though. Also my Vette seems to run better when I fill it up with Chevron gas, no matter what octane. Has anyone else seen a difference when using differene gas from difference companies?

GM does recomend 91 octain or better. Rather use that or higher. :)

If the General reccommends 91 or higher octane rating (and GM does) why would anyone try and save 10 cents a gallon and "get by" with 89 octane rating?? I know to each their own, but your talking $2.00 a fill up!! WHY? :confused

snow0925 said:
Here in the Philadelphia area, for the most part, we have only three octane ratings 87,89 or 93. No 91, which is what GM recommends for the vette. Is it OK to alternate between the 89 and 93?? Or can I get away with using the 89 octane.... or should I always use the 93??? Many Thanks!!

I'd definetely go for the 93, but if you wanted to mix 50/50 that might work also.

I'ts a Vette . . . feed it well :upthumbs

I use Mobile 93 in the 96 LI'm happy with the results;)

Can't type today-----------96 LT-4--------Sorry:bang

Snow 0925

It is a complete waste of money to burn any higher octane fuel than your car requires. The problem is trying to find the right brand as well as octane rating for your car. Most gas companies compute there octane rating using the (r+m)/2 method the r is the reserch # and the m is the motor #. depending on how they formulate it one brand of 91 octane can work fine in your car while another brand of 91 could make your engine ping under wot. Pinging is bad and needs to be avoided at all costs. But experimenting with different brands and octane ratings until you find the right one at the lowest price for your car wont hurt.

Hmmm........Interesting. I had always been told that 91 at 5000 ft like we are in Idaho, is the same as 93 at near sea level. There is NO appreciable difference between 91 and 93. I would most certainly use 93 before 89.

My $0.02

DriveIt

I know when i've filled up the L98 i've never put anything besides the highest stuff i can get in there. Which is usually 93. Tis expensive but we're talkin about a vette here....you dont run a allstar MVP running back on beer nuts and Budweiser do ya? If so, maybe thats why the Buccaneers have sucked lol.

All jokes aside, i personally wouldn't put 89 in the car. I use it in my truck, but i wouldn't let the vette drink 89. I dont think it woud like it #1, but #2 i just feel better knowing some of the best stuff i can buy is in there.

Here in Calif. we basicly have 91 octane the highest, In my Y2K C5 it seems that Chevron or Union 76 is the only fuel I can run without engine ping. I have tried Arco , Shell, and BP all 91 octane and when when I go WOT in pings like a jar of marbles just before my knock sensor comes into play. So to me the brand of fuel is just as important as the octane....

93 for me

If they offered 95 I'd use it. In the 84 I have a chip that is programmed to use 93. With the 99 I don't have the chip but I feel better using the "good stuff". After all it is only a few bucks a tankfull.
--Drew:w

Hi snow0915,
Here in Upstate New York we have Sunoco, Mobil, Costal (I think), and some smaller retailers. My question is which brand do you Vette drivers, especially in the Northeast, use? My dealer recommended Sunoco. I believe Sunoco was recommended because it's "premium" is 92 octane, even though they have a 93 octane. He said use of Mobil may result in some build up in the engine. I'm looking for actual users and their experience.

I've been using Mobil 93 without any problems, although when I fill 'er up with Sunoco 94 I do notice some extra kick in the pants at WOT. The Sunoco 94 is way too expensive for every tankful, but every now and then its like a cheap adrenaline boost.

Anybody remember Sunoco 260 way back in the leaded fuel days? That was 98 octane and it sure made my motorcycle scream.

I use Sunoco 94 only. I'm suprised to hear that Mobil could create build up. Mobil was one of the first, along w/ Chevron, to advertise having injector cleaning additive.

Hi Geof180, Whaaaaat's Happening?

I'm gonna need you to come in tomorrow. So if you could be here arround... say 9am, that would be great.... thaaaanks.

Oh, and could you come in on sundaaaay too, we lost a few people this week and have to sort of play catch up.... thaaaanks.

I am sorry, I had to do it. Office Space is one of the all time greatest movies ever. VERY true to real office work. I loved your avitar. Yeaaaah, Hi.

As for the posting, i only use Premium 93, from Hess usually. Nothing else goes in my LT4.

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom