Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block

JAKE

Corvette
1996 388 LT1
Gauging Interest in "BIG" CID LT1 Block
Yesterday I called Dart to get their published flow numbers on a set of Dart heads I recently bought.

In the conversation with the Tech Support guy, he mentioned that Dart is "considering" casting one of their SHP blocks to become, essentially, a BIG CUBIC INCH LT1 block.

Dart would make the necessary modifications and cast the block to take the LT1 to the next level, but management was concerned about whether there would be enough of a market to defray the costs.

When I mentioned 4.125 bore as standard, his response was, "Oh, a 4.125" bore would be tiny compared to what Dart's considering".

So based on that, we're talking over 454 cubic inches with the new LT1 block which would accept all the LT1 accessories; including heads, intake manifolds, starter, alternator, water pump, Opti, power steering, etc., etc. He mentioned that it would probably be a two piece rear main seal arrangement.

Now, I didn't get many more details, like probable cost, etc., only that company management would have to gauge the demand before agreeing to move in that direction. Remember, this is only in the "consideration stage" right now.

I told the Tech guy that I'd post a thread like this one to see just how many guys would be interested in buying such a block. So if anyone's interested, post a response here and the Technican will review what's written and pass on the responses to management.

I intend to post this thread on several other Forums, too.

Just thought it might be of interest to some.

Jake

West Point Rocks!​

Price would be the main factor with me and the guys in our club with LT1's. The interest is there though. 454 cubic inch engine in our C4, hell yeah. There's really not alot of options left on the market for the LT1, i don't think.

if you have a pre lt1 corvette there is a 472 in small blk out there allready in crate form for 8999.

How much $$$$$ will be the main question.
Next would be how much off the shelf LTX parts are true bolt on?

To answer the question honestly if the Little M was available as a bolt in during my last build at the listed SBC price, it would probably be in my car now.
The question is how much of a premium will they put on it over the SBC prices posted on the website?

Mike
http://www.dartheads.com/products/engine-blocks/chevy-blocks

for the right bucks...
i think nitrous would be the practicle solution to a forgiving daily driver with ludicrous excellaaarrraaation...!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom