Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gen IV Small Block

LMN8R

Corvette
1998 Black Coupe
First off, I love the C6. It's going to be a great, great car.

I'm not sure, however, if I like the idea of them calling the LS2 a "Generation IV." Unless I'm mistaken, this is the exact same engine block as the LS1/6, but it has been bored out to 6.0 liters. The stroke is the same. I've read about them changing the intake, the exhaust, the heads, but there's not been any mention at all of actually using a brand-new engine.

The generation 1 small block had all sorts of different specs with regard to bore, stroke, bhp, etc. They used different heads, intake, exhaust, fuel delivery, etc. With every change of displacement or whatever, they didn't claim that it was a new generation.

Am I wrong about something here?

-Greg

Greg,

The biggest distinctions from Gen I to Gen II, I think, are the intakes, reverse coolant flow and the optispark thingy. The Gen II intake was specifically designed for that motor. The Gen I all had the same old intake manifold that we're all used to seeing. Gen I parts are interchangeable. But you can't use Gen II parts with a Gen I SB without modifications. Same goes for the Gen III SB, the parts aren't interchangeable.

I think that's why they refer to them as different generations.

I thought that the only carry-over parts between the gen 1 and 2 were some barings and the crank shaft. It had a different block, different dimentions, etc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom