Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Getting ready to go to the body shop.....

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
We got the car stripped of its goodies thoday...or at least enough to get her to the body shop and get them started. They are going to media blast it then we are going to sort out how many hours of labor are hidden underneath that paint.

Sharon got after the dash area after we got the other pieces in the area off. Got it cleaned up enough for us to move on to the next stage.
IMG_2109-vi.jpg

IMG_2116-vi.jpg

Special thanks to my girl couldn't have gotten everything done this weekend without her!!!

then on the trailer and ready for the trip to the body shop tomorrow....
IMG_2125-vi.jpg

we strapped the doors closed..oh yea, I was sweating my butt off trying to get this done TODAY!
IMG_2127-vi.jpg

Strapped on and ready for a quick run around the block to make sure all is tight and ready for the trip tomorrow...
IMG_2128-vi.jpg

I sure like those Junk Yard Dog Wheels!!!! Looks funny without the windshield!

The body shop and I will pull the body off the frame tomorrow and I will bring the frame and motor back home for more finishing work on it. When the underside is all painted, I will take the frame back to the shop where they will drop the body back on, get the shims in all the right places to fix the gaps and such. Then they will tape off everything and shoot the top coat and clear coats.

Right now the goal is to have this baby back home around Christmas....then I need to get it wired and a whole bunch of other stuff...Goal is for end of May, getting ready for June 2nd Hot Rod Power tour leaving Cleveland heading to Michigan! I want to be there!

Stay tuned!

Looking Good But..............

Forgive me, I have to ask. Why not do the wiring and as much else as possible before the paint?

Forgive me, I have to ask. Why not do the wiring and as much else as possible before the paint?
that is a good question.....I will have to talk it over with the body shop. I understand the need to have as much done BEFORE the paint goes on. Everything I am doing that is all I am thinking about...the paint...the paint...how am I not going to screw up the paint...UGH!!!!

Herb

Don't sweat the paint.

I dont know how but you manage not to scratch the paint.

My first scratch came after the car was together and I was getting ready to cut up the body dolly and it swung into the rocker panel.

Now that you hacked up your harness you had better order what you need,

Are you going to do an aftermarket harness or a stock one,

What would we do with out or supportive families?

I dont know if I asked you this or not

Did Sharon come from a family of mechanics?

My wife did and it was always normal in her home for her Dad to have a restoration in progress,with an interior in the basement with my mother in-law re-doing the upholstery

Herb

Don't sweat the paint.

I dont know how but you manage not to scratch the paint.

My first scratch came after the car was together and I was getting ready to cut up the body dolly and it swung into the rocker panel.

Now that you hacked up your harness you had better order what you need,

Are you going to do an aftermarket harness or a stock one,

What would we do with out or supportive families?

I dont know if I asked you this or not

Did Sharon come from a family of mechanics?

My wife did and it was always normal in her home for her Dad to have a restoration in progress,with an interior in the basement with my mother in-law re-doing the upholstery
not sure if I should go with a stock or a Painless wire harness....what do you think?

Sharons dad always had a race car in their garage (stock car racing)...so she was garage deprived as a kid, so she makes sure that we have ample garage space.....haha

Well on the harness

What are you adding to the car that a stock harness will not accommodate?

I chose the painless harness because of what I was adding

Power windows,
flashers
aux cooling fan
aux trans cooler fan
power antenna
MSD box
Back up lamps
A/C
stereo
I am sure there is more.

I could have started with a stock harness and then add these things but I did not see a reason not to chose a new painless harness

I chose the 22 circuit one and felt it was a straightforward install. Time consuming, but straight forward.

Definitely a job to start well planned out and clear headed

Herb, I take it you are having the car painted yellow or blue since I know how much you hate red
;LOL

Herb,

Are you going to do the Long Haul or just the first weekend of Power Tour? That would be a good shake down run for my truck.

Herb, I take it you are having the car painted yellow or blue since I know how much you hate red
;LOL
only you would come up with some hair brained idea such as blue or yellow.....sigh.....there is hope for you yet.....

Herb,

Are you going to do the Long Haul or just the first weekend of Power Tour? That would be a good shake down run for my truck.
i am thinking just the Cleveland to Michigna run...and maybe the next leg as well perhaps to Wisconsin (my daughter lives in Milwaukee which is not far I think). I am not up to taking the car on a 1000-1500 mile excursion. Right now I am not planning to have A/C and getting further south at that time of the year could be ok, or it could just be miserable....now perhaps I will change my mind and get A/C in, but I have so much to do between now and then....I am not sure that there is enough hours to get it all done....

It really depends on how much I have the car running ahead of time and how much confidence that I am not going to be left along the road broke down.....so I need to get done by early to mid May so there is enough time to really drive the bugger to know.

Are you planning on trying to drive some of it too? The more the merrier!!! Last year the entire run, they had over 1000 cars make the whole run and I am guessing a much larger group that did bits and pieces of it. Should be a blast.

It would be a shame not to participate in at least one leg since it's so close. If I forgot all about body and paint I might make it.

Tom

It would be a shame not to participate in at least one leg since it's so close. If I forgot all about body and paint I might make it.

Tom
that is what I thought...I have the feeling from looking at photos that cars of all kinds and in different shapes participate.....you might want to join in.....if I don't have the '60 ready, then the '64 will make the trip......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom