Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Getting to be that time......

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
The last car event for me this season will be on Sunday Oct. 29th.
Our club always holds a Fall Vette exhibition display inside one of the local shopping malls so we will probably take both cars, the '65 and the '78.
after that the cars will be put back in the garage and most likely that will be it for the winter - it will be storage time or more appropiately winter project time.

I have a lot of things to take car of on both cars this winter but with my new job my time is now going to be severly curtailed compared to last winter but hey, I have all winter long.

Some of the projects are new, some will be things to correct that I didn't do just right or as good as I had hoped last winter.

On the '65 I know I need to:
1. take off the intake manifold again and replace the gasket as the one I instralled last winter has the crossover ports blocked off and i do not like how it affected the sound of the exhaust at all so new gaskets will go on with the crossover ports open again.
2. I'm STILL trying to track down that stubborn high RPM missing I only get over 4,000rpm with the top distributor cover installed. I have a few ideas from John Lolli to try to solve that issue.
3. on the interior I need to find and eliminate a lot of squeaks and rattles I get and I'm thinking about maybe adding some sound damping material such as dynmat to the inside surfaces of the interior molding panels to help eliminate some of that noise unless you guys have other suggestions. Also work on still getting rid of some shifter rattle as per JohnZ's recommended method.
4. If I get the extra funds and really get motivated I may also pull the original tranny out and get that rebuilt as it likes to jump out of 2nd gear if I get on it hard.
5. redo the valve covers again since they somehow got spots on them that will not clean off using anything so I guess I'll need to put them back in the media blasting cabinet to clean them up.
6. a few other minor things.
7. install the A/C system finally if I have the funds??!!

on the '78 I have LOT's of things to take car of:
1. determine if the puff of exhaust smoke I get on start-up is only valveguide seals or the valve guides themselves. I'm hoping it's only the seals so I can do it myself. If it's the actual guides I guess I'll have to pull the heads and send them out.
2. fan still at times hits the shroud so need to work on that issue
3. some interior work (i'm DREADING that on the C3!!)
4. thinking of doing a carpet replacement
5. need to have the power antenna rebuilt or replaced and also replace the antenna cable
6. a bunch of other little things

d*nm, I'm already exhausted just thinking about this list!

hmmmm, sell both cars and buy a new C6 and not worry about trying to maintain 2 old cars??
As much as Linda would LOVE that......NAH, I can't ever sell the '65. It just won't happen!
:beer:

Barry

I was thinking about you as I havent heard from you in a while.

My last show will be this week end, I have the same winter list as always for the 66 to restore the rear suspention an put in the rebuilt center section I had rebuilt years ago.Some day I will get to it.

Hi Larry

yeah, haven't been posting as much lately.
No recent projects working on the car so no questions to ask....... plus with the new job i'm not home to sit on the computer.

i'm sure that may change somewhat once the winter projects start again. ;LOL

hmmmm, sell both cars and buy a new C6 and not worry about trying to maintain 2 old cars??
As much as Linda would LOVE that......NAH, I can't ever sell the '65. It just won't happen!
:beer:

You're hooked like the rest of us, Barry. Good post though. ;)

Me? I've been so busy lately, I haven't posted much, or driven Heaven much. But, today the sun was shining here. So, I drove the ol' Corvette to three different appointments. Drives my clients crazy when I rumble into their parking lots. :D

During a blast down the 401, a BMW kept trying to weave through traffic to get up beside me. Finally, I'd had enough and let him pull alongside. He was holding a note, that he had scribbled, against the side window.

BMW Driver said:
My wife had
a '66

Then he gave me a thumbs up.

I smiled and waved............then really dropped the hammer. :w

Not many good driving days left.

Hi Bob

similar story(s) from Saturday to your BMW story:
Linda and I were heading to a show on Sat. in the '65 and as we just got on the entrance to a bridge between Delaware and New Jersey there was a cop sitting in a break of the center divider. I was only going 5MPH over the posted limit. I looked back as the cop came flying out of his spot and right up on my left corner. i'm now cussing away like crazy but he isn't pulling me over yet but also not moving plus he is now right in my corner blind spot. He finally starts to SLOWLY pull up right on my left side and still won't move to let me get around a slow truck ahead of me. I'm trying to avoid looking until he KNOWS I had to have seen him and I'd look even more guilty if I kept avoiding looking over so I look to my left and he is just staring right at me with the biggest grin on his face giving me a thumbs-up about the car. I just smile and wave back and he takes off.

On the way back home that afternoon i'm cruising down I95 South and happen to pass a new Porsche. i'm not trying to race him or anything and only pass him because he was stuck caught in slower traffic and my lane was moving a bit faster. He saw me and immediately worked his way out of traffic by cutting across 4 lanes (idiot) and races up to sit right on my tail. I have NO intention of playing with this guy and a new Porsche would kick my butt anyway and Linda's in the car with me so I'm just cruising easy is all. A few times I had to weave between lanes to avoid slow cars but he is sticking to my butt like we are connected by magnets. A free space really opens up and he decides to tear around me finally and take off. I bet he is still bragging about how he got a "kill" on a Corvette over the weekend. ;LOL

Barry,

I haven't been home much lately, so I didn't know you landed a job. Great !!! Where you working ?

Problem is, as you stated, sure is going to cut into your working on the "Hot Rods" time.

Best of luck with the new gig,

Bernie O.

Hey Bernie
working down in Newark off 273. Believe me, nothing exciting or anything to brag about so I'm still looking and sending out resumes.

yep, it will cut into the vette projects working time but I guess that's the trade-off in life. :)

Hadn't heard from you in a while so glad to see you post - it must be from the 7 minutes a month you are home. ;LOL
You need to find some time and take Wendy and go relax in PR for a week or two........

Winter Shminter... Who cares...My Rat's going out to terrorize the neighborhood every week end if there ain't no snow or wet spots on the ground.

That Ice Cold Air add's at least a 100HP:D ...So there's more fun to be had. My winter vette projects will be.....(1)...Helping Kid_Again with his Blower Project on the SB...(2)...Maybe adding Roller Rockers to the 502...(Keeping up with the Jones's..(67Heaven). (3)... Having the dump pipe from the header colletors to the side pipes redone.

And last but not least..converting the Windshield Washer Spray system to disspence beer from a dumper tube inside the car at the push of the washer button.:L

Barry,

I still have your JB Weld that I borrowed (Stole ?) in the back of my car. I can't even remember what I borrowed it for now ! Anyway... I would still like to stop up and see you sometime to try that tune up on the carbs, timing, etc... that we talked about so many months ago. Unfortunately, the next time I'm going to be home for any length of time is going to be in November (I think).

I'll try to touch base with you then (in Green Bay now and it's going down into the 20's).

Bernie O.

Putting them away for the winter already! It is just now becoming good driving weather down here. Yesterday it was in the 90's, but today it was in the seventies for the first time. I am going to put some miles on the 59 is the next few weeks. We do our work on the cars in the dead of summer when it is too hot to drive them!:L

Regards, John McGraw

Bernie, no biggie on the JB Weld - you can keep it.
you know you are more than welcome anytime. With my work schedule I'm less flexible now than before of course but still have Sunday's free anyway and Fridays also.

John, yeah, yeah, yeah. You guys in places like Texas, Arizona, Ca., etc are spoiled and get to drive year round. :)
With the way these cars put out heat it's sure not the cold that keeps me from driving them in the winter, it's the salt on the roads they put down after it snows that makes me prefer to store them instead.

The winter just slows me up but I never stop driving the cars. As long as there is no salt on the ground, we're out and about.

Winter Shminter... Who cares...My Rat's going out to terrorize the neighborhood every week end if there ain't no snow or wet spots on the ground.

That Ice Cold Air add's at least a 100HP:D

And last but not least..converting the Windshield Washer Spray system to disspence beer from a dumper tube inside the car at the push of the washer button.:L

Mark,

We think alike. I love the way they run in the cold! Would you please send me a rough sketch and a parts list for the beer dispensing system. Thanks. :beer

Mark

except for the salt if it snows I would have a problem driving the cars in the winter either - god knows the heater function works well!!!! ;LOL

but in the winter is when I want to work on them so they aren't all torn apart during the spring/summer/fall. You wouldn't want me to miss your boardwalk show for example because my car is torn apart now would you? :D

actually - don't answer that last quation since maybe you would prefer that I did miss it........ :)

Mark,

We think alike. I love the way they run in the cold! Would you please send me a rough sketch and a parts list for the beer dispensing system. Thanks. :beer

I plan on have some brewskies this coming week end to finalize the plans. As soon as I'm sober I'll email you...;LOL

Mark

except for the salt if it snows I would have a problem driving the cars in the winter either - god knows the heater function works well!!!! ;LOL

but in the winter is when I want to work on them so they aren't all torn apart during the spring/summer/fall. You wouldn't want me to miss your boardwalk show for example because my car is torn apart now would you? :D

actually - don't answer that last quation since maybe you would prefer that I did miss it........ :)

Your the Star of the show...can't have you miss it..:D

Well, today was the day for me. The temp was about 35F this morning and no precipitation so off to the winter storage facility the car went. Here she is warming up. Sort of sad but April will come quickly I hope.

storage003.jpg

BYE Big Green....... see you in the Spring! :)

Paul, our last show is at a mall this coming weekend on Sunday than it's going to pretty much be it for me also than it's time to start ripping into both cars again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom