Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Glass top's or Targa Astro Roof!

Mike2500

Corvette
1982 Silver Blue Coup CFI
Hello to all of my fellow shark drivers! Yes, it is that time of year that I get to add a few items I would like to get for the Vette for Christmas. I have asked much of you for either opinion's or personnel experience's and I thank you. The quest for new seat covers paid off so now I am on to the roof. My Vette has the solid fiber glass T-top's. I am comtemplating the Astro Roof, so before I make a buy I would like to hear some pro's & con's from the experienced!:thanks:

Neither

Hello to all of my fellow shark drivers! Yes, it is that time of year that I get to add a few items I would like to get for the Vette for Christmas. I have asked much of you for either opinion's or personnel experience's and I thank you. The quest for new seat covers paid off so now I am on to the roof. My Vette has the solid fiber glass T-top's. I am comtemplating the Astro Roof, so before I make a buy I would like to hear some pro's & con's from the experienced!:thanks:

Happy Thanksgiving Mike.
my $0.02 worth: I would not spend the money on either. I picked up a set of used M89.6 glass t-tops for a couple hundred bucks. I shimed this and adjusted that till I was blue in the face,;LOLand they have never fit correctly. SO they are sitting in the attic collecting dust, and I continue to use the fiberglass tops..... They are never on the car anyway...

Take Care.:beer
STW

Mike, my car had glass T-tops when I bought it, as well as carpet that was faded pink and seats that were burned black! I bought fiberglass T-tops and replaced the seats and carpet, and bought a louver for the bay window in the back. The glass tops kinda felt like a magnifying glass on your head on a sunny day.
Go for a ride with someone that has them on a sunny day before you lay down the coin for a set, I like the look of the painted better. Could just be me, don't take my word!! :thumb

My advice would be to shop for a nice pair of used, GM glass tops. They are the real deal.
:thumb

From what I understand, the Astro roof is a semi-permanent roof, meaning it is not meant to be taken off often. Also some people say it cracks and scratches easily. I'd look for a used set as others have suggested, or get an aftermarket set built on reconditioned frames. That's what I did and I'm pretty happy. I think I bought them from Melrose.

-Tatortot

Still have my original factory glass 2-pc T tops,but I opted for 1-pc lexan Astro tops for daily use,because theyre much lighter,& they go over the center bar instead of into it,& I get more headroom.When I put in my new seats,I lost a couple inches of that headroom. I'm 6'3"

Sorry I am a day or two late getting back, and I wanted to say Happy Holidays to all my fellow Vetter's! This is just the kind of feed back that I am looking for and you all keep me in line on the info. Do the glass tops or Astro Roof leak any? The solids are pretty dry and hold true unless you let your wife pull in the garage being a designated driver and runs them over! :bash Then to the shop they go!! I just thaught a see through top would let the sun in on cold day's and warm it up inside a little faster since we tend to have prwetty dry winters..

Sorry I am a day or two late getting back, and I wanted to say Happy Holidays to all my fellow Vetter's! This is just the kind of feed back that I am looking for and you all keep me in line on the info. Do the glass tops or Astro Roof leak any? The solids are pretty dry and hold true unless you let your wife pull in the garage being a designated driver and runs them over! :bash Then to the shop they go!! I just thaught a see through top would let the sun in on cold day's and warm it up inside a little faster since we tend to have prwetty dry winters..
Never had a leak with the glass,& the Astrotops.as mentioned,are one picec & no leaks. Yes,they do let the sun in............

C3RVETTE, does the Astrotop store ok in the back or is it a pain in the neck to remove and store?

Dont take it off often around here,but it will fit in back if U dont have much anything else back there,tightly:ugh

C3RVETTE, I seen the pic's of your vette in the parts for sale I think you had listed the runners, The top looks nice and it sure looks sharp and those pipes... They are monsters! :thumb

C3RVETTE, I seen the pic's of your vette in the parts for sale I think you had listed the runners, The top looks nice and it sure looks sharp and those pipes... They are monsters! :thumb
Thanx! Those are the stock Hooker sidepipes offered,with stainless heat shields:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom