Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Glass tops - replacing weatherstrip

LanceB

Corvette
I bought some weatherstrips to replace my mirror ttops weatherstip which is crumbling awhile back. I got cold feet after reading about some people that reported seeing hairline cracks appear in their glass tops sometimes several months after replacement. I replaced the ones on my brothers 77 no problem but they were fiberglass and I assume more resilient to pressure. My weatherstripping isn't getting any better...any advice?

It's not such a big deal. Put your t-top on a foam bed or something. Take the old weatherstrip off and then you need to be very carefull. Remove the old glue and stuff using something that can't cut thought the mirror finish. When I removed a partly loosened supportframe from the glass I cut the mirrorfinish about 1 inch that you will see on top. Reglued the subframe using several clamps and after several years still no cracks. So changing the weatherstrips can't be that harmfull I think :)

Greetings Peter

...some people...reported seeing hairline cracks appear in their glass tops sometimes several months after replacement...

Hmmm. I can't see how weatherstrip cement could crack glass tops. Sounds more like improper top adjustment.

I replaced the weatherstripping in my glass tops without any problems and no cracking.

:thumb

Unfortunatly I cracked one of my tops when replacing mine. The new seals were thicker than the old and when I pulled the handle on the latch it cracked a corner. I let the other side sit on the frame with some weight on it and unlatched to give the seal time to form to the frame and it went much better.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom