Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Glass T tops

chevyman1759

Corvette
1972 elkhart green coupe
Need some help! I have a set of t tops which have fiberglass around the edges and glass in the middle.the problem is they are pretty scratched up.A lot of fine scatches.I don't know if I can get them buffed out or if I can get the glass replaced.I have a green color car and the glass is gold,which really looks nice on my 72 vett.The glass is safety float LOF laminated DOT 15 M113.I don't know if I can get this glass or not?I hate to trash them because of the scratches.Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem or know someone I can call to give me a solution? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!! Ron,

Saratoga Tops.

I have a Gold set on my 1969 Daytona Yellow car, I think they look great and are a period correct mod. It would be ashame to trash them, but I seriously doubt you are going to get new glass for them since the company went out of business about a gazillion years ago. The tongue on the top that inserts into the center when you put them on were plastic originally, be careful those break and the top WILL BLOW OFF! I can't imagine you'll find 'em on ebay, but good luck.

I have my original tops as well, sometimes I put one of each on when I take the car to a cruise just to get reactions from the contrast.

Maybe the glass will come out in one piece, you could send them to a custom glass shop and have the mirror redone. I'm pretty sure they came in more colors than Gold, mirror them Green man!

Good luck.

There is company that can replace the glass, it was here a couple of days ago on another area.

There is company that can replace the glass, it was here a couple of days ago on another area.

Chevyman1759, I sure hope you can find that post!

I would love to get some replacement parts for my tops. Mine are nearly 40 year old aftermarket parts, I've had more than a bit of trouble locating bits and pieces. As far as I know parts have not been available since the mid 1970's. Fortunately for me, my Dad owned my car and the Saratogas, so when Saratoga was going out of business he had the idea to buy a big bag of replacment parts (in the 1970's). Unfortunately, I've used up the rest of the spare parts over the past 3 Decades.

If you have any luck please post the details.

ok, it was on the other forum, go to www.corvettetops.com is what they said to do for new glass, good luck. After looking at the web site, I don't know if they are exact replacements or not, call and ask!!

ok, it was on the other forum, go to www.corvettetops.com is what they said to do for new glass, good luck. After looking at the web site, I don't know if they are exact replacements or not, call and ask!!

Those are not Saratogas. I'll take a picture of one and post it so people can see what they are. They're kind of bizarre relecs from the late 60's and early 70's.

I really don't know what to do with these tops.I have six sets of them,most of them are dark glass and some are lightly tinted.I have a set of rose color glass but they won't look good on a green car.Most of the tinted tops,the glass is separating and looks bad.If I can find some place that will replace the glass I have a couple cores to use.I like the gold color glass because it looks good up against the green.I guess I'll keep digging.If I find out anything I'll let you know.

Call ASTRO TOPS, ask what they can do to refurbish your tops. What do you have to loose?

I'd really like to see the pics of those tops because I have a set that have been in my garage for 20 years. I never use them as I have always used the stock t-tops for shows and cruise nights. The glass in mine are smoke color and have a dual etched stripe in the glass just at the edge of the fibreglass.

How did you get six sets? By the way, I'm right up the road from you if you need anything...

How did you get six sets? By the way, I'm right up the road from you if you need anything...
Hi! I collected them over the years being close friends with a tow yard in old Bowie.They know everyone down there.They have been there since 1938 and the place looks like it.They use to have all types of stuff down there.But the county has made them clean it up.So most of the old good stuff is gone to the crusher.The only thing know is I rebuild tilt/tele steering columns for 69-75.I have four or five of them to sell some day down the road.I am always looking for column parts.If you are looking for anything, let me know.Two sets of eyes are better then one.I have a couple of friends close by with vetts that bring them by for me to work on them.Nice to know there is more of you out there close by.Have a great day.

Actually, I am looking for a new or used passenger side wiper arm for a 79...

Hi! I collected them over the years being close friends with a tow yard in old Bowie.They know everyone down there.They have been there since 1938 and the place looks like it.They use to have all types of stuff down there.But the county has made them clean it up.So most of the old good stuff is gone to the crusher.The only thing know is I rebuild tilt/tele steering columns for 69-75.I have four or five of them to sell some day down the road.I am always looking for column parts.If you are looking for anything, let me know.Two sets of eyes are better then one.I have a couple of friends close by with vetts that bring them by for me to work on them.Nice to know there is more of you out there close by.Have a great day.
Are you guys referring to what some people call "moon roofs"? I'd love to have a set of those for my 79,if anyone has semi-decent ones theyd like to part with.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom