Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM Corvette history list...?

kbuhagiar

Corvette
1963 Convertible 327/300 3TL
Hello, all,

Perusing E-bay this morning I came upon this quote in an ad for a 66 Corvette:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2490662950&category=6168

"...Vehicle's history: None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. No bogus window sticker, no reproduction protectoplate. Just a fine, original, number-matching California rust-free car that hasn't been crashed, butchered or otherwise molested. Sometime in the forseeable future, the official GM list is scheduled to appear which will show precisely how this car--and every other Corvette--was originally equipped from the factory. The GM Pontiac list is now complete. The long-awaited GM Corvette list is said to be nearly complete...and next to make its debut on the old-car stage. Exact date unknown, but experts contend that the list will evolutionize the classic Corvette industry once buyers can make a telephone call and learn (before they buy) what they're purchasing."

Any idea what this 'official GM Corvette list' is? Sounds like some sort of registry, but I though it was determined that the official GM documentation was long since destroyed...

Some other members will have better information than I do. The data for early Corvettes does not exist. This has been the subject of some searches and research, but the current belief is that before a certain year, the data does not exist.

What is an engine delete option?

DRTH VTR said:
What is an engine delete option?

i'd venture a guess and say that at some point in the car's life someone debated with themselves over a few options of what they could do to the car and went with removing the engine.
therefore the "engine delete option".

;LOL ;LOL

Umm.. how can it be NCRS survivor quality when it had a frame off resto in the '90's?

Don't worry about the corvette records ever showing up. If you found them, you'd end up in a 55 gallon drum at the bottom of the ocean. Too many people have to much $$$ in selling fakes for the records to ever see the light of day.Classic

Classicvette63 said:
\Don't worry about the corvette records ever showing up. If you found them, you'd end up in a 55 gallon drum at the bottom of the ocean. Too many people have to much $$$ in selling fakes for the records to ever see the light of day.Classic

as sad as that it, ain't that the truth!

let a car be what it is, no matter what it is. I HATE when people fake up a car just to pull more money from the market.
There are more 'authentic" BB cars on the market being sold than they ever made and getting huge bucks for them.
you know at least half or more probably started life as a basic SB.
I fugure it your car, do what you want to it, but don't try to fake people and say it's something it's not just to get more money.

geez, you shouldn't have gotten me started on this....sorry, this issue really burns me up! :mad

BarryK said:
i'd venture a guess and say that at some point in the car's life someone debated with themselves over a few options of what they could do to the car and went with removing the engine.
therefore the "engine delete option".
:L Yup, that's just about right ;) About 16 years ago I 'deleted' the engine; I finally got Project YellowVette back on track this spring. Hope to have the engine 'un-deleted' by January, with any luck. :beer

I was told by a the guy who did my appraisel on the Trans Am that records were not kept. There was some grief over the engine in my TA bieng one that was installed in an auto. However I have a 4sp car. Well we got the suffix's together and everything checked out. Although he told me again that records of that time, and before were not kept. I love researching about cars though.

Craig

From the October 2004 edition of the Corvette Enthusiast, by Ralph Kramer:

Insideview - Ralph Kramer

St. Louis Build Sheets Blues

Next to the whereabouts of a rumored sixth Grand Sport or the absence of arrest-me-red on the C6 color chart, few mysteries fascinate truly fretful Vetteophiles like the matter of the half-million missing build sheets.
The truly fretful are the most obsessive of Corvette nuts. We can't leave well enough alone. We dither over stuff saner zealots skate right by without even lifting.
Take the build sheet mystery. I'm talking about the 500,000-plus documents - one sacred piece of paper for each Corvette ever built at St. Louis - that disappeared after production moved in mid-'81 to Bowling Green. The better balanced among us have accepted the loss and moved on. Not so the truly fretful. Okay so the sheets are gone. That's a given. We're past the denial stage and into acceptance on that issue. But there must be something left somewhere to help us decipher these pieces of the past.
The only St. Louis build sheet I've ever seriously studied is the one thafs glued to the top of the gas tank on my '67. It's a much less crowded docu­ment than the computer-generated version Bowling Green uses now, but it still provides a pretty good word picture of my car at the moment it came off the assembly line. (Two-ply thin-strip whitewalls on a 427/435hp? C'mon.)
Anyway, it was true then and it remains that way today: For better or worse, the build sheet is the ultimate authenticator. Better if it says your L88 started life that way. Worse if it doesn't.
On the line these days at Bowling Green, they stick a copy into a frame cross-member. A duplicate gets filed away. Eventually it becomes a part of the build sheet archive at the National Corvette Museum, from which for aVIN and $30 ($40 for non-members) you can obtain a very nice laminated copy.
There's a bizarre story in how the BG sheets dating back to the '81 start-up were granted immigration status from the plant to the NCM, but we'll get to that some other time.
The build sheet issue was a hot potato long before it burned some of us at Chevrolet 20-plus years ago. From Corvette's earliest days, the sheets were known to exist. But they were seldom acknowledged and even less seldom accessed. Then, in the early '80s, St. Louis decided it was time to rid itself of the flotsam and jetsam of its Corvette era. The word went out that unless Chevrolet wanted to come and get a mountain of files crammed with old build sheets and whatever, they would be destroyed. Looking back, I'm amazed that St. Louis cared so much that it kept them around. Nothing in CM procedure required such lengthy retention.
Anyway, by the time the St. Louis ultimatum became a top-level action item at Chevy, the deed had been done. And hardly anybody at Chevy grieved. Hey, no build sheets, no distracting worries about what to do with them.
Fast-forward to the early '90s. Corvette people were getting pesky. Other CM divisions were starting to release copies of their build sheets. How come Chevrolet couldn't? Or wouldn't.
Jim Perkins, then Chevy's general manager, resolved to finally separate fact from folklore. He assigned Art Armstrong, Dave Hoffa and Tom Hoxie - three executives familiar to Corvette cognoscenti -to: 1) Find proof of whatever happened in St. Louis. 2) Determine once and for all if there are Corvette-related papers in that mysterious Pennsylvania cave where CM stores vital records. 3) Sift through the five million records in the Leonard storage facility in Detroit. And 4) Track down any other leads.
Months later, Jim got the report: Yes, the St. Louis files are well and truly gone. And no, noth­ing relevant surfaced anywhere else.
Case closed.
But wait. Even as the hobby absorbed the news, the truly fretful remained dubious. How is it possible the mountain of paper generated in a variety of forms on several fronts by the assembly, sale and service of every Corvette built during the St. Louis was all gone?
It's not easy proving a negative.
So Kurt Ritter, who, became Chevy general mar­keting manager in '99, gave Jim Mattison a green light a couple of years later to revisit the issue.
As a young CM engineer 40 years ago, Jim routinely exercised his infamous 409 on Detroit's more competitive streets. His sleuthing skills are top notch, too. Since the early '90s, his company - Pontiac Historical Services - has been handling queries and providing build sheets and other materials under an arrangement where Pontiac pays him exactly nothing.
At Bloomington Gold in 2003, Jim let it be known he was making progress on the Corvette front. The original build sheets may be gone, but he thought various documents done up for transportation, sales and bookkeeping purposes might contain useful info. Although the Perkins searchers had found none, Jim thought some microfilm might still exist.
Then, last winter, Kurt Ritter got reassigned to a new Pontiac/Buick/GMC combine, and quickly quit CM. With him went Jim's charter. As of June, he was still talking with corporate brand communications and CM heritage people about what he does and how he does it.
Meanwhile, the truly fretful dwell in troubled anticipation while the merely zealous enjoy another nifty Corvette summer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom