Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! GM DVD Navigation Sales Deception

This thread made me chuckle

I see and somewhat understand the frustration of the original posting in 2008 but the chuckle was because we have a 2008 coupe and love it unconditionaly but the real chuckle was that in September 2009 we visited the NCM during the 15th Anniversary celebration. Since we traveled across country with the Caravan we hadn't used the Nav enough to trust it yet - I had brought my Magellan just in case.

In any case the first day and evening at the NCM was pretty hectic as anyone there that day will attest. It was after dark when we decided we had better head for the hotel (Marriot) in Bowling Green (you know, where our baby was born). Because there were so many folks coming in still we were directed away from the museum via a back way out route. We said no problem, lets just put the hotel in the Nav and we will get there one way or another. Well it was another i am afraid - it directed us through several housing tracts and eventually we were on the road that we knew was a side street at the hotel. Suddenly the Nav said "You have arrived". We were in the middle of a housing tract and nowhere near the hotel. Since we knew the street was adjacent to the hotel - we continued for nearly a mile and finally we actually did arrive.

We didn't miss our kids recital so in our case we saw it as funny since as i said above we were in the town our baby was born.

The bottom line is that the Nav is an additional tool that is available to us and should not be perceived as the end all solution to not asking directions... We still have to use our heads. I am a gear head - i use an iphone, have more computers and digital camera's than i care to count but they are all still machines made by men and you know - none of us are perfect - we are all a part of the same human race... Lokk for the positive side of a situation, if it doesn't have a positive side, make the best of what you do have and of course smile...:cool

Hi there,
Hold on.
First, your DVD navigation radio supplement states that any of these reasons can cause inaccurate positioning on your NAV.
• The road system has changed.

• The vehicle is driving on slippery road surfaces such as in sand, gravel and/or snow.

• The vehicle is traveling on winding roads.

• The vehicle is on a long straight road.

• The vehicle is approaching a tall building or a large vehicle.

• The surface streets run parallel to a freeway.

• The vehicle has just been transferred by a vehicle carrier or a ferry.

• The current position calibration is set incorrectly.

• The vehicle is traveling at high speed.

• The vehicle changes directions more than once, or when the vehicle is turning on a turn table in a parking lot.

• The vehicle is entering and/or exiting a parking lot, garage or a lot with a roof.

• The GPS signal is not received.

• A roof carrier is installed on your vehicle.

• The vehicle is equipped with tire chains.

• The tires are replaced.

• The tire pressure for your tires is incorrect.

• The tires are worn.

• The first time the map DVD is inserted.

• The battery is disconnected for several days.

• The vehicle is driving in heavy traffic where driving is at low speeds, and the vehicle is stopped and started repeatedly.

Not to mention, if the calibration wasnt performed prior, this could occur.
My first suggestion, would be to check to see if you are calibrated correctly before each trip.

Plus your programmning the destination, YOU SET the final location. Did you correctly set in the address and the city?

Allthebest, c4c5

I honestly don't see why half of the above reasons would make any difference why the unit wouldn't work properly. I have the "normal" problems most people have with their units, but my biggest problem is making the thing understand what I ask of it. I ask for a particular function and "she" puts up nothing like what I had asked for. "Go home," and I might see "golf courses" or "banks." I've tried it while stopped with no ambient noise and it still makes absolutely no difference. It seems the unit itself needs an upgrade.

All of the above is why I skipped that option. I have been reading maps since I was a kid and when I pull out on a road trip; I will have a map and a GPS.... just in case.

I feel that this aspect of GM is seriously lacking and although it has a cool factor, that being it can link to the HUD it still wasnt enough to convince me to buy it.

Besides, its more fun to observe my wife fiddle with the GPS while I hammer on down the road making random turns until we are really lost! Of course the GPS takes some of the fun out of that.

I solved the Nav problem. I removed the GM Denso nav unit and replaced it with a Kenwood Garmin unit with lifetime Sirius and traffic.

Fortunately I already had the unit as it was in my wife's C-5 coupe and I took it out when we traded it in on a ZR1.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom