Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM part #'s

Shawn's 78

Corvette
1978 Beige L48 4sp
Is there any publication that is available (for the average Joe) that contains GM part numbers for my 78? ;shrug

Sometimes trying to explain what I need to a parts guy is a hassle.:crazy It would seem to be easier for me to identify the part, then call them with the number.

Thanks!
Shawn:L

For kicks...

I looked in my 1978 Assembly Manual...and next to the listed items on nearly each page was a long number.
It does not say if it is a part number specific to GM...but I suppose you could check?

#9718410-0 is the door handle, L or R side.

#473082 is the horn emblem.

#379937 is the fan shroud.

#6498393 is the catalytic converter.

Hope these items and numbers are easy for you to check with GM.
Please let me know if they are GM numbers?
Heidi

Heidi's 100% correct. You can get the part numbers from the AIM. You can also buy a "genuine Corvette" GM parts book. These are for sale all over EBAY. They cover many years. Buy one that includes your year, 53-XX. :) Chuck

Thanks all!

I plugged Heidi's numbers into the GM Parts website and no go. :(
I tried running a parts search for an e-brake assembly and nothing popped up. But I did have the number and whala, :D it came up! I guess the number is the way to go.

I checked out ebay and they have parts manuals available. I should be able to get one of those and plug that information into the GM parts website to get a result. Do part numbers ever change?

Thanks
Shawn:)

Shawn, Although the name "GMPartsdirect" might lead you to believe they are part of GM, they actually are not. They used to give you wholesale/retail GM pricing which was very useful information to have when asking your local dealer for a part. They recently changed their website so I don't think all the pricing information is still available. Another source of GM part numbers is the Paragon website. I know they are not putting these numbers online so that we can comparison shop at out local GM dealer, but for the time being it is a useful source of GM part #s. JD

Bummed out.

I was getting excited to think that the numbers in my assembly manual may have been part numbers.
I guess that would have been too easy.
At least I have the pictures and I can show it to my GM dealer!
Heidi

ps, just recalled that the last time I went to my Chevy dealership parts counter...they actually referred me to the Big Corvette Catalogs!
MidAmerica, Paragon, Ecklers, Corvette Central and the like...

Heidi - Don't be bummed. Those are GM part numbers.
9718410 and 9718411 are the original numbers. They changed to 14011819 - 14011820.
473082- still an active GM#
379937- changes to 14028585
6498393- discontinued Jan 1995

Dave

Shawn - The good news is I have an ORIGINAL 1978 GM parts book. The bad news is I am not sure I am willing to part with it.
I like to have it around to help others on this site and with my work related requests. I would be glad to help you with numbers and prices any time!!!

Dave

Re: For kicks...

78SilvAnniv said:
I looked in my 1978 Assembly Manual...and next to the listed items on nearly each page was a long number.
It does not say if it is a part number specific to GM...but I suppose you could check?

#9718410-0 is the door handle, L or R side.

#473082 is the horn emblem.

#379937 is the fan shroud.

#6498393 is the catalytic converter.

Hope these items and numbers are easy for you to check with GM.
Please let me know if they are GM numbers?
Heidi

Heidi, where did you get your '78 Assembly and Shop Manuals? I'm in the market to get those. I really need and want them. Thanks! :D

TR

One point, those numbers in the AIM are the "production" part numbers. They may or may not be the same as the "service" part number.

tom...

ORIGINAL 1978 GM parts book.

Dave,
Is that parts manual specific to the 78 or does it cover other shark years? (if specific, where did you get it?)

And why do (did) part numbers change? Do or does your manual show that conversion?

That information is exactly what I need!
Thanks!
Shawn :)

Shawn's 78 said:
ORIGINAL 1978 GM parts book.

And why do (did) part numbers change?
They change to consolidate parts. Say they used a part over several models but each year it was slightly different. Say the mid-year gas cap (63-76). They were all different in the design displayed but were all functionaly they same. So Chevy, to save money/inventory/etc decides to carry just one. In this case they settled on the '66 I believe. So you you want to order the cap for a '67 you will find that the part number has changed, and you will get a 66 cap. (The number for the 67 would more then likely be the production part number. The service part number would be the number for the 66).

Could also be due to a change in the numbering system. If they make a system change it can change the numbers.

tom...

It's specific for 78 only. I have many original parts books that I have accumulated over the 24 years I have worked for GM parts.
All my info is computerized now,but from 93 on back we had to rely on paper catalogs. I just saved them here at the dealership.

Dave

So Dave... If I purchase one of these "GM parts Catalog" for the shark years on line (ebay), does it have the same information that your book has?
Shawn

Yes.If it's an original GM catalog. You should be able to find one. Let me look around here and see if I can find another one. If I
can its yours free!!
Dave

Stallion...

The Assembly Manual came with the vette when Kenny bought it.
We don't have that one anymore. Twiget sent me his old one from his '78 and I sent mine last year to another CAC member who had a '78.

My manual is basically a three-ring binder with loose pages in it that document how the 78 is put together. Expanded drawings to show exactly how things fit and how they were attached.
These pages appear to be photocopies themselves, and not very good (dark & clear) ones at that. I don't think they'd reproduce well, however we have made several photocopies of specific pages when Kenny was doing a project. The copies allowed him to handle them with greasy fingers and leave the original pages in the binder alone (clean).

I think this reference would be invaluable to you. EBay would probably be the best place to find one at the best price, but buyer beware... I don't really trust EBay products.
I don't know where you could find a new one, maybe from the big 'vette catalogs?

One member from Argentina (?) asked me about photocopying mine...and the price for double-sided copies would be prohibitive at Kinko's.
Heidi

I was looking around at some sites and I found some good prices. So, I guess that all are the same them no matter where I get them? They're all "official", right?

Thanks! :)

No problem Shawn I will look through my book pile tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom