Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM plans entry-level Corvette sports car, report says

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
DETROIT (Reuters) -- General Motors is planning to build an entry-level Chevrolet Corvette that would cost less than $50,000 and widen the iconic sports car brand's appeal, people familiar with the plans told Reuters.

www.autonews.com

Last edited:
"Entry Level" Vette

With GM's desire to go worldwide / increased desirability for the Vette, I'm not sure if this is a good idea. On the other hand, IF IT"S DONE RIGHT, it would be nice for fans to be able to go get one. De-complicating the car and smoothening the styling sure would be nice! We'll see >>>>

GM plans entry - level Corvette Sports car, report says

Mercedes Benz will soon market an "entry-level" sports sedan Benz that a buyer can get into for $30,000. Word has it that if you start checking off options, you can reach $50,000.00 pretty quickly, but that the $30,000. version will do for a lot of folks, and is not a stripper, by any means. I believe that GM is considering doing the same thing with the Corvette. I think that GM is going to have to do this if it wants to significantly raise the number of cars it sells each year. The number of people who can afford to buy a Corvette at current prices, and are young enough to be interested in the car and able to drive it, is shrinking. MB has seen the light. So should GM/Corvette.

They've tried that before with the C5 FRC didn't they?

I was thinking the SAME THING.

And then, the FRC became the ZO6.

So much for "entry level". :duh :chuckle

I'd like to see one. The new dash is really neat- but give me ANALOG. Yes- NEEDLES and NUMBERS. :thumb

There are lots of entry level Corvettes already out there to chose from.....C4's and C5's and even some early C6's......why wait?

KANE;1129961I'd like to see one. The new dash is really neat- but give me ANALOG. Yes- NEEDLES and NUMBERS. :thumb[/QUOTE said:
I'm with you. The play station gauges that I have seen on some vehicles are horrible. I would definately want to see the vehicles gauges before laying any money down. Hopefully GM did them right......:)

Mercedes Benz will soon market an "entry-level" sports sedan Benz that a buyer can get into for $30,000. Word has it that if you start checking off options, you can reach $50,000.00 pretty quickly, but that the $30,000. version will do for a lot of folks, and is not a stripper, by any means. I believe that GM is considering doing the same thing with the Corvette. I think that GM is going to have to do this if it wants to significantly raise the number of cars it sells each year. The number of people who can afford to buy a Corvette at current prices, and are young enough to be interested in the car and able to drive it, is shrinking. MB has seen the light. So should GM/Corvette.

How is M-B telling us that this will be different from the SLK?

If they don't screw it up, it could save the brand. The C7 hasn't made the Vette any more available to younger buyers. Bring in a Vette that could be bought all day for under $50K, and it's a whole new demographic. I think $50K is the magic number. Anything over that, and it's not worth the effort, and you are excluding too many "young professionals." If they duplicate the C5 coupe fiasco, they are toast.

Its never gonna happen.

Unless GM can make a Corvette for 35 grand, there wont be anything "entry level" about it.
The king of "lowest cost vendor" for most of its parts just doesn't have the content to cut to sustain a substantial reduction in MSRP. Its not like building an engine with 350hp cost thousands less than and engine with 450hp.

gm-plans-entry-level-corvette-sports-car

Its never gonna happen.

Unless GM can make a Corvette for 35 grand, there wont be anything "entry level" about it.
The king of "lowest cost vendor" for most of its parts just doesn't have the content to cut to sustain a substantial reduction in MSRP. Its not like building an engine with 350hp cost thousands less than and engine with 450hp.

You might be correct. I don't pretend to know how to change the car to allow it to be sold at 30-50K and make a profit. I would think that a 6 cyl. engine, non-leather seats, non-electric seats, unheated seats, cheap wheels, and on and on would drive the price down significantly. Am not sure of that though. I would like to see the engineers, designers and bean-counters do the drill. None of us wants to see Corvette in anything but a very secure position with GM.

They've tried that before with the C5 FRC didn't they?

They made a half-hearted attempt at it, and it was only for a couple of years, but the price wasn't that much cheaper.

GM already has an entry level Corvette, just let us pick the options, not option packages.

To kick it off I'd start with engine management computer on a base V8 with a tuned exhaust, manual transmission, power disc brakes, proper wheel and tire size, PS, tinted windshield, base seats (good ones-don't get cute), no radio (stick your Ipod where it's more useful), no AC, no traction control-just a posi, no ABS, no TPS, no power windows, no power door locks, no hemorrhoids sensitive ride control, no vanity mirrors, no floor mats, one cup holder with a barf bag for the passenger. Let the aftermarket guys go nuts.

Sounds like what we were driving before we got fat (except for the cup holder).

Last edited:
Entry level Vette?

The Vette is supposed to have world class performance to go up against the best in the world. You can't get that level of performance in a new car at entry level pricing unless you consider $51,999 as entry level. Everything else costs a lot more for the same level of performance.

A good used C5 or C6 will get you into the Corvette drive seat for something closer to entry level money.

Deleting options and going to a 6 banger on the current isn't a really good option IMHO. First, the corporate six cyl. engines are too tall, and maybe wide for the Vette, AND they probably are not any cheaper to produce (DOHC). Deleting options doesn't save much money since the car was designed to include those options and the engineering and connectivity has been paid for. To come out with a cheap Vette that is profitable, GM has to design one from the ground up,like Porsche did with the Boxster. The Boxster is a whole lot cheaper to produce than the 911, although it really isn't cheap to buy. The S Boxster model is more expensive than the base Vette. Personally, I'd like to see a smaller, simpler and new entry level model...think original Datsun 240Z. It'll be interesting to see what GM comes up with.

Deleting options and going to a 6 banger on the current isn't a really good option IMHO. First, the corporate six cyl. engines are too tall, and maybe wide for the Vette, AND they probably are not any cheaper to produce (DOHC). Deleting options doesn't save much money since the car was designed to include those options and the engineering and connectivity has been paid for. To come out with a cheap Vette that is profitable, GM has to design one from the ground up,like Porsche did with the Boxster. The Boxster is a whole lot cheaper to produce than the 911, although it really isn't cheap to buy. The S Boxster model is more expensive than the base Vette. Personally, I'd like to see a smaller, simpler and new entry level model...think original Datsun 240Z. It'll be interesting to see what GM comes up with.

:thumb

Aside from taking out the technology... and considering all of the structural (carbon fiber, composites that cost $$$) and driveline changes (mainly engine and transmission)... I'm not sure where GM is going to eek out a less costly Vette. I can't think the dash is that pricey- and when you factor another one in- how much is really saved? ;shrug

Powertrain might have the most options. No- not thinking a 6 cyl. but instead a truck motor. The engine would need to be something totally off the shelf and with minimal cost.

I dunno. Bring back the L-48

It would seem like there are a few old school thinkers out there. Take the time to go through the BMW or the MB plant once and then tell me that a Corvette couldn't be built to order. Even the Bobcat plant puts most automotive plants to shame with its flexible product assembly. Seldom do you see 2 in a row of the same model come down their line, and they've been doing that for years. They stuck to their guns with their method and booted a takeover in the mean time, how's that for sticking to their ideals!!

GM has it right if you look at the nightmare DOHC V6 then compared it to the LSX engines. They could do the same with the Corvette if they were not top heavy and let some innovation kick in, like the new (?) C7 design, (like Bart says.........HA HA.)

Like allot of us GM and their cars have grown fat, it could be changed for the better but not if you don't work at it.

The 'young professionals' sneer at american made cars. IMO, it would take years to change that mindset.

These 'young pros' will get their stylin' doors blown off if they try takin' on a recent Vette. This is plainly undeniable, look at various track lap times and go across a few Youtube videos, like the one where a Z-06 gobbles up a Lamborghini and utterly smokes an Audi R8 on the highway. Now we have the C7 coming out with greatly improved fit&finish and the same kick-ass performance. If image is all they care about, they'll get burned twice - cost of buying, then getting smoked by a Vette. A few more years of that reality will change minds.
As for the styling, :ugh

These 'young pros' will get their stylin' doors blown off if they try takin' on a recent Vette. This is plainly undeniable, look at various track lap times and go across a few Youtube videos, like the one where a Z-06 gobbles up a Lamborghini and utterly smokes an Audi R8 on the highway. Now we have the C7 coming out with greatly improved fit&finish and the same kick-ass performance. If image is all they care about, they'll get burned twice - cost of buying, then getting smoked by a Vette. A few more years of that reality will change minds.
As for the styling, :ugh

Never said they were smart.:L Was just commenting on my view of the young professional mindset of today

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom