Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: GM price released fot the Volt

:wWow what a response!! Over 350 replies in a short time. They all voice the same opinion. That the Volt most likely will be a failure because it is way overpriced. They quote $41k but I am sure it will list for more. Dont expect any discounts (at first).
The problems I see:
- High cost.
- Tax credit of $7500 comes after you file your income taxes, but if you owe less than that I am not sure they will refund the difference.
- You have to pay sales tax on the entire car including the $7500 - in nj it is 7%= $2870 (the $7500 tax alone is $525).
AND since you will not have the credit at first, you will have to finance the $7500.
- When all is done you have a $20000 Malibu that is good on gas!

:wMe thinks that this is not supposed to be a people's car but rather a Boutique/ niche market conversation piece for the green crowd. It's their way of showing the public that they care for the environment - at any price. However, thankfully there are not that many of them and so after the first blush it will be a tough sell.:L

I still dont get the "green" car thing... Cars are inherently cool as most people wold agree to based on the fact that we own Corvettes, but a green car? Riiiight... sure...

Just out of curiousity, exactly what is the battery made from? and hwo long is it good for? And, how much is a new one?

So for arguements sake, take your paid for gas guzzling SUV at 15mpg and its associated running costs and compare it to the new and improved green machine's running costs... (not to mention its $41K price tag) Im not so sure there are any savings there. Of course, one could save the world, but it comes with a price tag that lines someone elses pocket who is probably driving a Corvette on the weekend!

And, its f-ing ugly! F-ing ugly isnt cool until its old.... really old!

So, for my $41K, I would buy another Vette... Personally, I dont give a rat's azz how much gas costs, its the freedom I want and am willing to pay for it.

Silly green cars... "If it aint like launching off an aircraft carrier, whats the point of driving it?!" :chuckle

:wWow what a response!! Over 350 replies in a short time. They all voice the same opinion. That the Volt most likely will be a failure because it is way overpriced. They quote $41k but I am sure it will list for more. Dont expect any discounts (at first).
The problems I see:
- High cost.
- Tax credit of $7500 comes after you file your income taxes, but if you owe less than that I am not sure they will refund the difference.
- You have to pay sales tax on the entire car including the $7500 - in nj it is 7%= $2870 (the $7500 tax alone is $525).
AND since you will not have the credit at first, you will have to finance the $7500.
- When all is done you have a $20000 Malibu that is good on gas!
X2 ! - Back at the end of "05, my cousin was driving a Tahoe. He owned the Tahoe outright. One day it cost him 90 bucks to fill it up. It usually costs around 60. He was so enraged about the price of gas that he traded in the Tahoe on a Prius - with a payment. Idiot. :confused

I still dont get the "green" car thing... Cars are inherently cool as most people wold agree to based on the fact that we own Corvettes, but a green car? Riiiight... sure...

Just out of curiousity, exactly what is the battery made from? and hwo long is it good for? And, how much is a new one?

So for arguements sake, take your paid for gas guzzling SUV at 15mpg and its associated running costs and compare it to the new and improved green machine's running costs... (not to mention its $41K price tag) Im not so sure there are any savings there. Of course, one could save the world, but it comes with a price tag that lines someone elses pocket who is probably driving a Corvette on the weekend!

And, its f-ing ugly! F-ing ugly isnt cool until its old.... really old!

So, for my $41K, I would buy another Vette... Personally, I dont give a rat's azz how much gas costs, its the freedom I want and am willing to pay for it.

Silly green cars... "If it aint like launching off an aircraft carrier, whats the point of driving it?!" :chuckle

Once you purchase gasoline it is yours. Burn it as you wish. Until the Government is GIVING GAS TO ME FOR FREE, then maybe I will let them suggest what I drive and how to burn MY GAS.

:wI still dont get it!!
I looked up the Prius and it's between$23000 - $28000 and I think there may also be a tax credit here also(?). For $28000 you get an amazingly equipped car that gets ~50mpg.

Most people looking for gas mileage also want a cheap car. The $23000 is difficult to justify when you can get other econos for less that will give you 34-40 MPG.
However the Prius seems like a larger more deluxe/comfortable car while avoiding the econobox status.

Also check out the warranty - very good!!

Also it's ~ $15000 less!! :chuckle

The 3rd Generation Toyota Prius Hybrid models and prices

I thought it was way over priced. All the tree huggers will jump in on it like the Prius. For the money I'm going to keep driving my gas guzzling, tree burning, V8 powered, bad ass, piece of American history Corvette!! My .02

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom