Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good Deal?

Full Bull

Question....how's $12,500 for a 91 ZR1, 6-spd, 50,000 miles...excellent condition? Got an opportunity to grab one at that price, perhaps a little less. Comments?

I'd say it's an excellent deal providing it is truly a ZR1 and that it isn't a wrecked car that has been rebuilt and put back on the road.

Full Bull said:
Question....how's $12,500 for a 91 ZR1, 6-spd, 50,000 miles...excellent condition? Got an opportunity to grab one at that price, perhaps a little less. Comments?
GO FOR IT!!! Sounds like a great deal to me!

taking a look at it tomorrow... Rob, anything in particular I need to look at that unique to the ZR1? Thanks to both you and cvette for your comments...recommendations

Full Bull said:
taking a look at it tomorrow... Rob, anything in particular I need to look at that unique to the ZR1? Thanks to both you and cvette for your comments...recommendations

I would pay particular attention to the windshield. Check for delamination - mottleing or severe discoloration, lack of clarifty in the metallic tint in the windshield.

Check the oil cooler lines for signs of leaking (two lines that run from the lower right hand side of the oil filter to the top of the oil cooler). They can be easily replaced.

Make sure the secondaries are operational. After the car has reached normal operating temperature, turn the Power Key to the Full Power mode and accelerate. The secondaries should come on line at around 2,200 -2,800 rpm. Once on, there should be no bucking or feeling as though the car is choking for air.

Before all of this, lift the hood. Stand on the passenger side of the car. Have the owner turn the ignition key to the on position, but DO NOT start the car. You should here the secondary port vacuum pump prime for about 5-10 seconds. The pump is located under the headlight bucket in front of the coolant reservoir tank. See my article for the pics: http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14272

Once the pump has shut off which it should after about 10 seconds, wait and see how long it takes to cycle on/off. If it's frequent - every 5-10 seconds, you have a pretty good leak in the secondary port vacuum system and will need to address it. Not an overly difficult task, but it does take some time.

That's basically all that comes to mind right now. Let us know how you make out and good luck!!!

That deal sounds too good to be true! Why would someone sell a car for way less than it's worth? Unless you know the answer to this question I would proceed with extreme caution. Check the car out thoroughly before buying. If everything is on the up and up then I'd say your getting one hell of a buy!

Go to the ZR1Net web site. It is very thorough and lists things to look for.

Also, check out the Zr-1s for sale section to get a feel for the average selling price of a typical Z.

:J

Thanks for the info, rob...thought there'd be more to look for than if just shopping for a "regular" vette.

Loco...you're right on...either the car's got some major issues, or I'm going to get one heck of a deal...

Will let you guys know what's what. Again, thanks for all the advice...

I bought a ZR1 in august of last year knowing the secondary system did not work. I hoped that it was the vaccum system which is a low cost fix (some labor). I had to replace all of the secondary injectors at a cost of around $1000. The earlier advice to make sure the secondary system is working is very important.

Looked at the zr1 today.....nice, not great. Needs weatherstripping, carpets and seats show wear commensurate to a car with 100K showing on the odometer. Engines in great shape, or so it appeared, sounded and ran.... Recent tune up, new clutch... Ride control light's illuminated...but car rode/handled well. So, don't know if it's a sensor, ride control unit, etc. Guy only asking $12,800 for it...that's what he owes the bank. He's got a disability that's gotten to the point where he can no longer drive...and see's it a waste for his vette to sit around the house as it's done for the past 4 months. Exterior has a few dings....but overall, nice shine on the paint. Have some photos, but they're too big to attach...if someone can help with that, I'll send some along for review. Rob, I checked the items you mentioned...they all panned out. Drove the car....what a kick in the pants!!! Running about 40, down shifted into 3rd, and put the size 13's into it....snapped the head back...and pushed me faaar into the seat... No wonder the driver's side seat is showing some wear!!! No hesitation....engine idles very smooth and surprisingly quiet. Guy did the balancing act, putting a nickle on it's edge side on the pleneum (sp)....it didn't move...impressive!

Ok, question is....what's the impact of 100, 000 on a high performance engine/car like this? $12,800's hard to pass up... Even if it cost me a few thousand to get the car into primo shape (I'm estimating around a couple of grand for seat coverings/carpets and perhaps some work on the ride control system). Any comments, suggestions...recommendations??

At 100,000 miles, there is little impact on the motor. I have heard of a fair number of ZR-1s that have exceeded 100K miles with no ill effects, and still running strong.

Honestly, in my opinion, at the price that's being asked for it...if I had the money, I'd scoop it up. It's not perfect, but just remember, if you want perfect, you're going to pay for it.

My thinking is, the guy can't drive the car anymore and it's already been sitting for 4 months. It has a few things wrong with it which may be in part, a result of non-use over the last 4 months if the car is being kept outside. However, those things can be fixed.

It sounds like it drives and runs excellent, so, if you really like it, and you're comfortable with it, I say go for it. At least you'll be rescuing it from a state of non-use and as time and money permits, you can invest a few thousand into it to fix some of the things that are wrong with it. Just my opinion.

Let us know what you decide!!

Full Bull:

Your original post contemplated a car with 50,000 miles. Your last posts says the car has 100,000 miles. Obviously, the price is much more enticing for a 50k mile car than a 100k mile car. Still, at $12,800, the car seems to be a couple of grand less tham market (see ZR1 Net web where they have 2 100,000 mile+ cars for $16,000). As far as the reliability of the car, I have copied and am pasting below a list from the ZR1 Net of cars with 100,000+ miles. Sounds like the car is in decent shape. The ride control light could be a sensor but could also be an actuator. Also, weatherstripping for C4's is not cheap. Anyway, here is the info from the ZR1 Net:

100,000 Mile Club

The following list is of ZR-1 owners who have more then 100,000 miles on their ZR-1's with no motor rebuilds or 100,000+ miles since the rebuild. Many people have asked if the LT5 engine is truly bullet proof.

100,000 Mile Club
OWNERS NAME MILEAGE YEAR COLOR ORIGINAL OWNER MISCELLANEOUS INFO
Ken Koester 101,500 1991 Black/Gray No As of 10/22/02
Kimberly Lazarski 141,000 1991 Black/Black No As of 10/22/02
Tyler Townsley 180,000 1990 White/Red No As of 10/22/02. 110,000 on a LPE 368 rebuild
Curtis Ward 105,000 1991 Black/Black No Has since been totalled.
Lon Helton 116,600 1991 Black/Black Yes As of 10/23/02
Ron Bidwell 131,000 1990 Red/Red No As of 10/23/02
Mark Horner 101,000 1991 Polo Green/Black No As of 10/23/02
Chris Herrage 145,560 1990 Red/Red No As of 10/23/02. Currently in rebuild to a 368
Gordon Walsdorf 124,500 1991 Dk Red Met/Black No As of 10/23/02
Breck Alberts 154,000 1991 Turquoise/Black Yes As of 10/26/02
Fred Mains 113,000 1992 Red/Red No As of 10/31/02
Rusty Scheuer 117,750 1990 Red/Black No As of 11/1/02
Steve Ahlgrim 165,000 1991 Steel Blue Met/Blue Yes As of 11/18/02
J Lee 125,584 1990 White/Gray No As of 11/22/02
Michael A Divicino 120,000 1992 Dk Red/Black No As of 11/22/02
Jason Nicastro 100,450 1991 Red/Black No As of 11/25/02
Brian Smith 111,000 1991 Red/Red No As of 1/8/03 (Canadian export)
Bill Morris, Jr. 100,700 1990 Black/Gray No As of 1/23/03
100,000 Mile Club

Copyright © 1997 ZR-1 Net

Thanks, rob....I'm taking the car to my mechanic this afternoon to give it a good going over...will let you guys know if I'm going to take the plunge or not.

Legal...I got the 50,000 mile figure from the guy's wife....but, she was mistaken. The 50,000 was for the pickup the guy's also selling.

In the 100,000 + list; Curtis Ward's car was clocked at over 200 mph in the Fort Stocton open road race in the spring of 2002.

It was totaled when a friend was autocrossing it and hit a concrete wall; warped the whole thing even with a roll cage.

Verle

fyi, one of my buddies in Va's zr1 dynoed stronger at 125K than at 80k. with the nikasil liners, if the engine has been well cared for it's not at all uncommon to see 200k on an LT5. so at that price I'd jump on it. the market is ripe to snap up good deals on zr1s right now, and the minor cosmetics won't take more than a couple of grand to get fixed up.

I have an 80K zr1 and it runs harder now at 80K than it did when I bought it with 64k. lots of folks that "baby" these cars get a bit disappointed because the secondaries can carbon up and not open all the way (or have vac problems) which cuts HP dramatically.

this is a cheap price IMHO for that much car. don't let the mileage scare you, check the maint records, and if the car has been taken care of, you will score a supercar at a bargain basement price.

I know the car you are talking about it is a very good deal in my eyes even if it is 100K on the od I would get it and have some serious fun with it.

a car with that many miles with have an interior with issues that's just the way it goes.

I had to replace the seats and carpet in my 89 vert, I bought a carpet set directly from acc for $250 and I bought brand new seats mounted on new foam for $1000
and I put it all in my self so its all what you want to do...

the ride control I cant help you with that right now because my books are back hom and im a long way from home..

Id say good luck with the car I know there are a few guys looking at her!

johnny

Decided not to do it....too many questions and not enough answers (good ones, anyway). Great price, but noticed that no one else in town was jumping on it. Several ZR1 owners and others had been out and checked the car...but no one took the bait. Undertstand that some guy out of california bought it...plans on doing a full restoration.... I have neither the time, talent or bucks to do so. So....

Thanks for the input from all of "youze guys"....just didn't feel right..and I learned along time ago to go with what the gut says.....

ZR-1

What do you mean by excellent?

How are the tires,wheels, paint, interior?

Any accidents in the history?

For 12.5k I'll buy it! Why haven't you bought it already? ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom