Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good news, bad news and need more help.

M

MNHoosier

Well, the good news, I have acquire my Vette. :J It's a white '82, with now just over 24,000 miles, is in pretty damn great shape and it is one of the last 200 to roll off the line.

The bad news, as some of you may know, I lost my brakes in Rockford IL. :( The cylinder still has fluid in it, but the brake light is on and the pedal goes to the floor. When fully depressed, I get just a very little braking.

So, I think the thing to do is replace the cylinder and while at it, replace the rubber hoses with SS. I have priced Eklers and ZIP with ZIP being a little less. Does anybody have any experience with ZIP or suggestions on where I might find the best price on these items? I am tracking down a couple other suggestions in the meantime.

Also, ;help any hints/tips on actually doing this work? While I am not a mechanic, I have replaced calipars before and done some engine work. I've always said, give me instructions and I can do about anything.

My engine and oil temp guages are not working also and will probably start by replacing those sensors.

Thanks for your help. As soon as I get some good pics I will post them.

:beer

Congrats.

I would suggest you contact Vette Brakes

They have the famous O ring calipers, and can supply you with the ss lines. You can get a master cylinder anywhere.

C3 Brakes are in my opinion the weakest link on the cars. If you start fresh from end to end, change fluid often, and keep an eye on things, they will provide you with years and years of trouble free driving.

My guess is this low mile car has sat around and collected a massive amount of moisture and corrosion in the brake system. I would suggest changing all fluids from the radiator to the rear end before you really use it. Be prepared to see some leaks develop as well. This is from the seals not seeing much action and being dry on start up.

You may end up doing the trans front and rear seal, and engine front and rear seal in the next couple of months.

I don't think this is a callipar issue, but I'm not a mechanic. My neighor is/was and I've also talked it out with my dad and they both think it's the master or a leak in the rubber lines.

The previous ower was VERY meticulous. Although he didn't drive it a lot, he did change fluids often and took good care of it.

Thanks.

To find out if it's a caliper just look for brake fluid leakage on your calipers/wheels. I purchase most of my parts from Zip and have had good luck with them. Swapping the rubber lines for stainless is a piece of cake. Like was mentioned before, a m.c. can be purchased anywhere's. I replaced my '79's calipers with ones from Auto Zone. Lifetime Warranty, about 25 bucks each. Ran'em for 8 years and went all over the South with that car. Never had a problem, so why spend big bucks?

Hoosier,

Congrats on the '82. You will be pleased. As with any "previously owned" car there are going to be some items that will need your attention regardless of the mileage.

Brakes: I am a huge fan of Vette Brakes and their products. Though you will always find people that have had success with "lesser" quality; I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. And Chris is absolutely right; the brakes are the Achillies Heal of the C3 years. Even the last C3. Personally, I'd send your existing calipers to VB and have them SS sleeved and returned, go with the stainless lines and change out the fluid every year or two depending on the type of driving. And the rest of the fluids, tranny, Pwr Steering, rad....change them as well.

Let us know how you are coming along.

Regards.......... Nut

Congrats:beer :beer I know you spent a lot of time finding the right one. A great choice if I say so myself.:_rock

Congrats on on the new 82!!!

:beer
Guy

The easy part first;check the terminals on the sending units first(oil temp is near the oil filter and is known to get shorted on the sparkplug wire shields,water temp is on drivers side between front 2 cyl.).Ah,now the brakes,if there that poor you might as well do it all,master cyl.,calipers,short lines and hoses.I'd use DOT 5 fluid also.While your at it,repack front bearings and turn the roters.Being the car is 20 years old now the rear wheel bearings should be done also,but thats best left to someone who knows what there doing and has the correct tools.
By the way,where is the car now?

Barrier,

It's in the garage. I did make it home.......carefully. I went through your neck of the woods too.

I did talk to a local corvette mechanic here and he doubts its the master. Informed me on the causes behind Vette brake problems and gave me another item or two to check.

Looks like I'll be crawling around on the floor of my garage this weekend. How fun.

Hoosier.... It IS fun crawling around on the (cold) garage floor. And the satisfaction you'll have completing the repairs and riding around with the tops out soon enough will have been worth all the aggrevation. Enjoy!! Spring is just around the corner. Sunny and 75 in the Peoples Republic of MD today.

.......... Nut

Congrats on the new 82, and best of luck.

I just did a fair amount of work on my 80 concerning the Brakes and Rear, and hopefully can offer some tips.

If you lost brake pressure, but the Master Cylinder is still full, it is probably only a few things.

First, it could be the Master Cylinder has an internal leak, so when you step on the pedal, the fluid doesn't get pushed into the lines, it just goes around the pressure and you have little or no brakes. That requires a Master Cylinder rebuild.

If the car has been sitting, moisture or air may be in the brake lines, which may also cause a loss of pedal.

I would first crawl under the car, and look at the brake lines, and calipers on each wheel to look for an obvious leak. Then check the master cylinder fluid level just in case. Pull the wheels and bleed the brakes, and see what you get. While you have the wheels off, look at the calipers, and brake pads and see if anything doesn't look right.

When the time comes, and you decide to do the brakes, do it all like has been mentioned. Rebuild the calipers, replace the hoses, and change the fluid. I wouldn't replace the Master unless I knew it was bad, but that's your call.

As has been suggested, turn the rotors, and replace the front wheel bearings while you're at it. I would also look at the shocks while you're in there.

Most of all, have fun.

Good luck,
Steve :w

Glad you made it home,I'm only a half hour from Rockford so was going to offer a place to let it sit for a while.By the weather reports your snowed in anyway so might as well climb under the car.
Call this guy on brake parts to compare prices,Jim at 608-365-7116.Also I'd replace the master cyl as they're cheap,went to do mine this last summer and a rebuild kit was 23.95,while a complete rebuilt cyl. was 14.95,whose to figure.
Luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom