Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Goodyear's Newest Eagle Flies on 2011 Corvette

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Goodyear's Newest Eagle Flies on 2011 Corvette

AKRON, Ohio, Feb. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: GT) is announcing its newest ultra-high performance tire, the Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2, and its arrival is boosted by the achievement of an original equipment position on the 2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

The new Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 builds upon a three-decade relationship between Goodyear and Corvette. For Corvette owners and other enthusiasts who demand the most from their performance automobiles, the Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 is "street-refined, but track-capable," according to Bob Toth, Goodyear's director of new products.

An asymmetric, directional tread design with massive tread blocks on the outboard shoulder help enhance dry cornering grip, while sweeping Aquachannel grooves on the inboard side of the tread help enhance wet cornering grip. An innovative multi-radius mold shape helps to offer precise handling and smooth, even wear.

Even the appearance of the tire is important; a serrated band sidewall styling and distinctive lettering add to the overall ultra-performance look.

"The new Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 is positioned as a race-inspired, ultra-high performance dry traction tire for select supercars. With a left-side, right-side specific tread design, it offers superb dry traction and precise handling, complementing both the performance and appearance of sports cars," Toth said.

The tire, tested on some of the most renowned road courses in North America, will be available this summer in these run-flat sizes: P275/35ZR18 and P325/30ZR19.

Goodyear is one of the world's largest tire companies. It employs approximately 70,000 people and manufactures its products in more than 58 facilities in 24 countries around the world. For more information about Goodyear tires, go to Goodyear Tires - USA.

SOURCE The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

So, if Goodyear is going to market a "new/improved" run flat for the Z, does that mean the older generation are going to be on "fire" sale to get rid of inventory?

I suppose these new tires will also be on the GrandSport too.

God knows the Z06 Supercars needed improvement. There is NO excuse for the treadwear on that model. I have had racing tires that lasted longer.

Tread Wear

God knows the Z06 Supercars needed improvement. There is NO excuse for the treadwear on that model. I have had racing tires that lasted longer.

I seriously doubt any of us are going to get any tread wear improvement! In order to meet the 1G cornering spec, the tire has to be either 2 feet wide or (as is the OEM F1) be made of a sufficiently soft, road gripping consistency to achieve the spec. That means that we get an expensive, low mileage rubber flier with eagle talons that sink into the pavement to keep us on the road!! Should last a good two years though, unless you're daily driving them!! If that's the case, I would take a look at NITTO...they make a tire that fits the car but, you won't go screaming around any pig-tail curves with it!! :D

Picture and specs?

Here's a picture from the GY website.
technologyTire.gif

No specs like tread wear rating though.

The "D3" style "V" grooves on one side ought to make it better in the rain but if the tread wear rating is still around 200, it will still wear out way too fast.

I'd rather have a D3 but GY doesn't make the D3 in C6, or C5 sizes for that matter, in run-flat capability.

The press release failed to mention how the new tires are better than the old model. Better longevity, better in the wet, quieter?.................what?:upthumbs

The press release failed to mention how the new tires are better than the old model. Better longevity, better in the wet, quieter?.................what?:upthumbs

Probably just better on the Goodyear bottom line...it's like a prospectus for potential investors!! :L

Hib, where are you?

Hib has friends in GoodYear, maybe he can shine a little light on this new tire and what it really means for our hobby.

Wish they made a GSD3 for the Z. Oh well.

Hib, where are you?

Not watching this thread close enough, appearently.

Hib has friends in GoodYear, maybe he can shine a little light on this new tire and what it really means for our hobby.

Right now, I don't have much info other than what's already here.

Wish they made a GSD3 for the Z. Oh well.

The GS D3 EMT on my CTS V took a big hit Friday on the turnpike. The wife was in a construction zone and hit a chunk of concrete with the left front tire, heard the pop and got the low pressure light right away. She kept driving and called me on the phone (OnStar, hands free). I told her to drive on until she had a place to pull over and check the tires. Sure enough, the side wall had an inch to 1 1/4 cut in it. Not going to fix that on the side of the road.

She was on the way to a meeting where she was scheduled to give a speech so she drove on - 12-15 miles. The farther she went, the more pull she noticed but it never gave her any trouble.

With a nail or small hole in the tread, going 100 miles or even 50 might be okay but with a cut over an inch long in the side wall, 20 miles was probably about all that tire was going. I took the wheel and tire off this morning and the cut side wall is about toast, it was starting split along the side wall away from the cut.

Of course, GS D3 EMT's for the "V" are not stocked in every GY service center. I've got one on order.

Can't say enough about the quality of the D3 EMT as it did everything it was supposed to do when it lost air. The wife never felt any need to stop and the car just kept on going - at least long for a while - before it started to tell her it was time to stop.

If that had been a regular tire, it would have blown good and given the wife a real good scare considering that the turnpike was crowded with no place to pull off.

Thank you Goodyear run-flat tire!

Just looking at the tread design, I'd say it is even more treacherous in the rain than the old SuperCar. I guess I'll stick to Bridgestone Pole Position runflats for all around performance and street/road practicality.

Just looking at the tread design, I'd say it is even more treacherous in the rain than the old SuperCar. I guess I'll stick to Bridgestone Pole Position runflats for all around performance and street/road practicality.

Maybe, maybe not. The 'half-a-D3' tread pattern will at least allow water to get out from under half the tire and that may be good enough.

I'm going to try the new Michelin PS2s in a couple of months and see how they do in the rain and ice/snow we get in OK.

Surely by now someone knows the treadwear rating on this tire. I'm in if they got it up to 280 or so, but if it isn't anybetter than the previous model then I'm going Bridgestone. My Z06 only has 16k miles but isn't far from needing its third set of rears, and no, I do not spin them - it's all pretty much normal driving.

Surely by now someone knows the treadwear rating on this tire. I'm in if they got it up to 280 or so, but if it isn't anybetter than the previous model then I'm going Bridgestone. My Z06 only has 16k miles but isn't far from needing its third set of rears, and no, I do not spin them - it's all pretty much normal driving.

I am serious (Bridgestones.) and don't call me Shirley

Who said they are cheap?

I just recently put the Bridgestones on my '07 Z. I have 1,200 miles on them and they seemed to do well in the rain, on a recent trip back from the museum. What I don't like about them, is the fact that the rear rim's edge seems to be a little more exposed with these tires than with the Goodyears. In a hard cornering situation or autocross, I wonder if this could be a concern. ;shrug

Goodyear super tires ????

My 07/Z has 9,300 miles and never burned out and the rear tires are shot, But in only one tread path and has not gotten to the wear bars.
I sure hope the NEW GoodYear Super Car tires are better than the old Super car tires. I had the aliment checked and it is in specs. :confused

Attachments

• DSCN1802.jpg
    DSCN1802.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN1796.jpg
    DSCN1796.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN1795.jpg
    DSCN1795.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN1799.jpg
    DSCN1799.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 151
My 07/Z has 9,300 miles and never burned out and the rear tires are shot, But in only one tread path and has not gotten to the wear bars.
I sure hope the NEW GoodYear Super Car tires are better than the old Super car tires. I had the aliment checked and it is in specs. :confused

I have about 17500 mi on my 06Z and the OEM Good years and also have significantly more wear on one side of the tire than the other but the wear is not nearly as bad as yours.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom