Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Goodyears vs Firestones

J

James Lopez

I currently have Goodyear EMT's on now. How do they compare to the Firestone sz 50's. I have heard good things about the Firestones. Quieter, better ride, cheaper. Are these things true or not ????

James,
I'm getting ready to replace my GYs after 24K+ miles. I've heard good things about the Firestones..namely all that you mentioned.
I've also heard good things about the Yokos and Michelin runflats.

The difference between GY and the other brands is that GY has a stiffer side wall which supposedly enables you to travel 200 miles on a flat tire vs 50 with the other brands.

This stiffer sidewall would also produce a rougher ride.

I guess it boils down to what whether or not you want to sacrifice the extended mobility that the GYs give you for a better, quieter ride.

This a choice that I will soon have to make too.
I am leaning towards the Yokohamas RunFlats.

Regards,

Pedro

My First set of tires on my 98 Pace car lasted 18,000 miles (Goodyears) they got REAL slippery, hard, and loud. Switched to Firestone runflats and got 50,000 quiet happy miles. including rain and SNOW. Bought a second set of "stones" put 10,000 miles on them and sold the car for a new 2003 with Goodyears again. I'll give Goodyear a "chance" but .......:v

I just replaced the original Goodyear "run flats" on my 2000 vert at 15,000 miles. They had become slippery and noisy. I bought the Firestone "run flats" on-line from Tire Rack and I love them! They are quieter, smoother, "stickier" and were cheaper ($1000). I also prefer the looks of the sidewalls on the Firestones. They look great with tire gel on them! The only negative I had is that a local tire store charged me $150 to dismount, mount and balance. They didn't even have to take them off the car. I carried the old tires and new tires to them - off the car. Seemed a little high to me.

Michelin tires

For anybody looking at new tires. I just got rid of the Goodyears after 20,000 miles. they were so noisey that you could'nt hear the radio. Stopped at a local Car dealer that handles high-end sports cars plus alot of Corvettes. We sat down and had a long talk about tires. And I decided on the Michelin run flats. What a great choice. They were a little pricey. $546 for the fronts and $674 for the rears. But they were sure worth the money. This car hasn't handled and acted this good since it was new. The ride is excelent and the noise factor is nonexistent. And you don't change lanes except when you want to and not when the car wants to.So just a little input if you are thinking of some new tires.

Save the wave

It seems like the Goodyears are quite overrated? It looks like many people have gone away from the Goodyears after the stock ones needed to be changed.

I never really was into Goodyears because of the combination in reviews and price. Don't get me wrong, they're good tires, but in terms of value; you can do better.

I would agree with Red Wine and go with the Michelin Runflats. I have only heard good things about them.:upthumbs
The Firestone Runflats are rounded at the bottom. Maybe not as much tread making contact with the road. They just don't look right on the C5.

Re: Michelin tires

Red Wine said:
For anybody looking at new tires. I just got rid of the Goodyears after 20,000 miles.

Red Wine,

Is Goodyears runflats only good for 20,000 miles?:Roll

Thanks!

Morgan

Is Goodyears runflats only good for 20,000 miles?

Depends on how you drive! :D

I replaced the rears on our ol '98 after only 23,000 miles. My wife has a lead foot and was always on the edge of having the traction control kick in.

Others that don't drive as hard get lots of life out of GYs.
Same goes for any tire.

I tried runflats GS-C's on my 92 a few years ago. Too hard, too rough, too loud. Too much money in them to replace too quickly. They lasted 35Kmiles and I couldn't wait to get them off. Since I have a spare and jack in the '92 I replaced them with Pilot Sports (not runflats) and oh what a difference.

When the new 03 AE needs tires, I'm going to be looking at the Michelin runflats for it.

Re: Re: Michelin tires

MorganC5Vette said:
Red Wine,

Is Goodyears runflats only good for 20,000 miles?:Roll

Thanks!

Morgan

Hi Morgan;

I would say that the way most vettes are driven that 20,000 to 25,000 would be the limit. They just get so noise, hard riding and slippery that you can't wait to get them off the car. And after you replace them you say to yourself why did I wait so long.

I got about 15-20k out of my original GY's.

I switched to BFG G-Force (nonrunflats) and would not go back to runflats. Far superior performance. I realize many of you would not go away from a run flat, but the difference was very dramatic. I carry a cell phone, AAA, and fill/repair kit if needed.

Red Wine,

Thanks! Sure appreciate your response. The information you have given me will be a great help in the future. :upthumbs

Morgan

But do you really want to buy French

I was leaning towards the Michelins, but not now. I wont buy anything french. They didnt back us why should we support them.:r

Stick with american companies!

I think everyone should stick with americam companies if theres one thing i hate its foriegn automotive products. The Only cars ive ever owned have been chevys. BOTH have goodyear tires! My 97 corvette has stock goodyears and my 66 Impala also has goodyear tires.

GO USA!

To; Atmmac and pudljmpr;
First, I would like to say that whatever I buy either for my cars or my house I;m going to buy the best products I can get for the money.
I wasn't happy with the Goodyears and we have a limited choice of run flat tires. So I choose the Michelin Pilot Sports which by the way are made in North America at a plant in Granton, Nova Scotia.

Second, I was stationed in France at SHAPE Hqs during my 2 years of the draft. And belive me we are alot better off that the French didn't join us or back us.

Third, If I remember correctly we also had some differances with Germany and Japan like WARS and I sure see an alful lot of there cars and other products in our country.

Last, Isn't it nice to be able to live in a country that you can say and spend your money as you like.
Save the wave-----Red Wine (Italian only):pat

reply to Red Wine

By all means you should buy what you want.

From reading the forums I cannot say that the Michelin are better then the Firestones.

But I can tell you that we were at war with Japan over 50 years ago at some point you need to let it go.

Im not upset that France did not fight with us I'm upset that they were very vocal against us. What percentage of their economy is due to export to this country and travelers from this country.

I was in France 2 years ago and they are arrogant but more importantly they dont like Americans.

I personally dont give money to people who aocally bash me, my country or my president, but as I said you are welcome to support whomever you like.

As far as where the tires are made has very little bearing as to where the profits go.
So that is very poor justification, byt whatever helps you sleep at night.
:pat :pat

blocker44 said:
I would agree with Red Wine and go with the Michelin Runflats. I have only heard good things about them.:upthumbs
The Firestone Runflats are rounded at the bottom. Maybe not as much tread making contact with the road. They just don't look right on the C5.

They don't look right on a C4 either. Sorry but corvettes should have beefy tires not pencil neck looking tires. That's just what I think, it's not law though. :L Put whatever you want on it to make yourself happy.
Other than that, the firestones are a great tire. You don't need to spend big bucks on Michelins to get what will make you happy.

BTW ditch the runflats if you want to improve your ride.

pudljmpr,

I totally agree with you. If we wanted to just buy American things, I wouldn't be wearing any clothes now!:L

In the end, you have to find the middle point of the two extremes of what you can afford and what you want.

Nitto 555's all around. They are not runflats but this is my 4th set of tires and I've never had a flat. They hook up at the track much better and seem to wear more evenly than the GY's.
The GY's would wear out the rears long before the fronts. I went through 3 sets on the rear and two sets on the front by 95,000 miles. When all 4 needed to be replaced the last time I went with the Nitto's. I have about 35,000 on them and they look to be about 1/2 through the tread life.
And like it was mentioned before a AAA card and cell phone will be much better than a 35 MPH drive to wherever you are going to have it fixed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom