Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gordon Killebrew accident

mlm0

Corvette
Just posting this for those who might want to send their reguards and best wishes for a speedy recovery to Gordon and Chris

About 10 days ago Gordon was making some of his famous bird houses, with he accidently cut off two of his fingers on the table saw. Chris got him to the hospital, two hospitals in fact, and he will be ok, but lost most of two fingers on one hand. For those of you who know Gordon, he spend much of his time making thousands of bird houses, that he gave away to groups such as the park service and boys and girls organizations. I met Gordon and Chris last month while attending his c4 training and they are wonderful people. Besides the training, Gordon gave me lots of parts, and even sent me a special tool for removing the oil pressure switch without removing the distributor all for free. He also gave me three bird houses, which Chris says will become collectors additions, because Gordon will not be making any more bird houses. I did ask her to tell Gordon, that if he needed anyone to teach his classes, I would be willing, since I attended the two day training and KNOW everything there is to know about C4s. I did not get a response. I am sure they would like to hear from us.

I met Gordon at the Grand Sport Registry cookout at Carlisle last month. He seems like a great guy. I hope he bounces back from his accident.

Best wishes and Get well soon Gordon. I went to both the C4 and ZR-1 class in 02 and have meet him and Chris many times over the years.

mlm0,
Thank you for the update.

He will recover, but will have to adapt without those fingers. I came too close to a grinder and lost 1/2 of my left hand pinky finger. The worst for me was playing the guitar!

I've got every tool he offers which includes test equipment and books/pamphlets.

Gordon and Chris are absolutely wonderful people and are always willing to help.

The best to them!!!

Chuck M

A nicer more honest and genuine person you will not meet.
You'll adapt Gordon.
Best wishes.
picture.php

Table saws can do some grievous damage. I teach woodworking to high school kids and spend a week teaching safety on the table saw. It's a traumatic experience. I hope Gordon the best.

there is an attatchment now that makes it near impossible to injure yourself on a table saw.

there is an attachment now that makes it near impossible to injure yourself on a table saw.

I'd be interested in that attachment! I have not seen an "attachment" but there is a brand of table saws out there, called "SawStop" which will greatly reduce the chance for injury. They are pretty expensive, but cheap insurance if you need it. Not a retrofit, but a complete saw.

I'd be interested in that attachment! I have not seen an "attachment" but there is a brand of table saws out there, called "SawStop" which will greatly reduce the chance for injury. They are pretty expensive, but cheap insurance if you need it. Not a retrofit, but a complete saw.

Might be what I am thinking of. Touch the blade with a hot dog and it don't break the skin.

Might be what I am thinking of. Touch the blade with a hot dog and it don't break the skin.

That's the one! They are very good, but pretty expensive right now.

That's the one! They are very good, but pretty expensive right now.
Expensive to buy and expensive to repair, from what I hear. Supposedly the way it stops the blade so quickly is by pushing a chuck in aluminum into the blade when it grounds through your finger. The aluminum needs to be replaced after each stop and the blade is pretty much screwed too. So if you accidentally brush the side of the blade (not a good idea but less deadly than touching moving teeth), it stops... dead blade, dead brake...

Mac

Expensive to buy and expensive to repair, from what I hear. Supposedly the way it stops the blade so quickly is by pushing a chuck in aluminum into the blade when it grounds through your finger. The aluminum needs to be replaced after each stop and the blade is pretty much screwed too. So if you accidentally brush the side of the blade (not a good idea but less deadly than touching moving teeth), it stops... dead blade, dead brake...

Mac

Yup, Mac, that's correct. My issue with using it at school is how many kids would want to "check it out". It costs about (at last word that I heard) $250 each time the brake is applied and it basically ruins the blade, as there is no practical way to remove it from the embedded aluminum. They have made disabling the function a little more easy to do.

Don't get me wrong, if it saves one persons fingers, the cost of the saw is cheap. But again, my concern as a woodworking teacher, is it would promote many into thinking that you can't get hurt, or that the idea of safe operation of a table saw isn't important. Or become lackadaisical about the use of the saw. Or become to trusting and when using a non-saw stop saw think it is just as safe.

Lots to consider. If Gordon had been using one of these saws, he'd still have his fingers, that's a fact.

My good wishes go out to Gordon & Chris. I met them in the early 90s when Bloomington Gold was actually IN Bloomington!

Gordon is a wonderful fellow who has always shared freely his knowledge of not only C4 Vettes, but every generation.

Chris, his wonderful wife, has a knack of remembering who you are & makes one feel you have known her forever.

My hope for you, Gordon, is to recover quickly.

Looking forward to seeing you as soon as you can travel to a Vette happening.

:w

Gosh, I have had near misses with the same, especially when suffering jet lag.

While I've only thought about talking with Gordon, I send sincere wishes for renewed joys in his charitable work.

Touch the blade with a hot dog and it don't break the skin.
Why would anyone cut hot dogs on a table saw?:ugh

Pirot, assuming you are serious about the hotdog question, that is the way that SawStop demonstrates their technology, rather than using a real finger.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom