Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Got camcorder experience in your Vette?

DennisC5

Corvette
2017 Sterling Blue Metallic Convertable
I want to mount a camcorder in my C5.

I think I'm going to use this style of mount DigitalCorvettes.com - The $5 in-car Camera Mount

I want to hear from all you drivers who have recorded your track time and 1/4 mile runs.

Which camcorder do you recommend? and why?
Do you favor a tape based storage? or a hard drive type? or a solid state one that uses an SD card or Memory Stick?

How does the one you chose react to the movement and vibrations incurred on the track?

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

STW:w

Thanks Jane Ann,

I considered Jacob's setup while researching the camera mount.

I'm looking for comments on camcorder selection.

I'm concerned about the effects of vibration on the operation of the camcorder with regard to it's storage medium whether tape, hard disk or SD or Memory Stick. I want to know if anyone has experienced any disruptions in recording caused by vibration or motion as experienced on a road course. I've 'heard' that hard disks are vibration sensitive but I haven't talked to anyone with any real experience using one in a C5.

Thanks,
Dennis

Most of the mount designs will hold a camcorder. The sanctioning body where I want to track my C5 requires a hard mount. Suction cups are verboten.

I'm looking for comments on camcorder selection.

I'm concerned about the effects of vibration on the operation of the camcorder with regard to it's storage medium whether tape, hard disk or SD or Memory Stick. I want to know if anyone has experienced any disruptions in recording caused by vibration or motion as experienced on a road course. I've 'heard' that hard disks are vibration sensitive but I haven't talked to anyone with any real experience using one in a C5.

Can anyone relate their experience on the style of camcorder storage? tape? hard drive? SD card? Memory Stick?

I have the type of mount selected.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last year I did a lot of research on Digital Cam Corders and one fact stood out. If you have a camera with a built in hard drive and the hard drive fails the entire camera is junk. I read numerous posts from people who bought different models and within a short period of time had problems with the hard drive. Some were replaced under warranty but others were just out of warranty. For that reason I chose a model with a SD memory slot. No internal hard drive to go “kaput”. I bought three 4gig SD memory cards and used the camera to video all my motorcycle trips last year. We had absolutely no problems with vibrations on the bike and you should have less if it is mounted inside a car.

I also bought Studio 11 software to manipulate the video segments. This software works similar to Microsoft’s Movie Maker. It has a feature that allows you to post directly to U-Tube though I have never used that option.

When buying your video camera pay special attention to the format, file type, it produces. Not all software packages will handle all formats and the software that comes with you camera might not do what you want to accomplish. Microsoft’s Movie Maker which came with my XP based puter will not handle any of the current video formats and to the best of my knowledge Microsoft has not issued an updated version that can.

Good luck with your research.
Denny

Denny, Thanks.

I hadn't even thought of the 'bad hard drive' scenario for the camera. Gates knows how many have failed in PCs :)

Thanks,
Dennis

Look on google for a company called panavise. they make a great inexpensive suction cup mount.

Thanks, but...

I have the mount designed, if not built...

I'm asking for camcorder information...

Which storage medium do you prefer and why??
tape, hard disk or SD or Memory Stick.

I have one well received opinion (thanks Cruzen).

Any others???

Ok, I have a JVC mini-digital cam corder. I like the output quaility of the digital recording on the mini tapes, and the availability of the tapes themselves.

I dont really want a hard drive in my camera for various reasons, and the memory sticks were of limited capacity last time I checked. Its really just personal prefrance. No matter what you choose - just get a name brand you are familiar with.

My JVC is a few years old but it does have the image stabilization feature and i think that helps when making in car video.

I copy my video to DVDs so I can replace the tapes for a few bucks if I feel there is any degragation in video performance, but its been few years now and they still seem fine.

Thanks warren s,

Did you record any sessions with your Vette on a track course? Did the image stabilization handle the stress of the bumps and turns?

D

No road course videos, but i did make a few high speed runs and capture that on video. (I have a test vid of going 165 with the camera velcroed to the carpet behind the seats) Thats on my friends website - low res and very bouncy.

One thing i did learn, if you zoom in,(camera mounted between the seats or rear hatch area) even a very slight amount - such as to see the speedometer - any vibration is magnifed significantly and it looks like the car is bouncing all over the place - when infact the ride is pretty smooth.

I would avoid an HDD camcorder as the car is bouncing along and that does not bode well for hard drives.

I would avoid an HDD camcorder as the car is bouncing along and that does not bode well for hard drives.

I agree. I will go with an SD camcorder.
Thanks,
D
btw... i'll be in Richmond for VCU graduation in May...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom