Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Grand Sport No. 002 Going up for Auction

twiget

Corvette
In the market
'63 Chassis No. 002 is going to be auctioned off in Arizona. The car has been restored back to its '66 racing regalia, with a 616hp 427 under the hood.

corvetteroadster.500.jpg

The last time I heard about one of the original 5 Grand Sports being auctioned off, it went for around $2 million. It will be interesting to see how much No. 002 goes for in a week or so.

You can find the link to the Edmunds story here

:thumb Jason

Lol, I like it. :D Since owning my '96 GS, I've read everything I could find on the '63 GS's. Those cars are amazing! Since then, there has been a parking spot in my dream garage for one of them.

Sorry for the scrolling...

3176016421_147343995f_b.jpg

3176016519_7f1f21f303_o.jpg

The one on the right, #10, was actually campaigned (and signed) by Dick Gouldstrand.

Thanks...
It was kinda funny- When I pulled into the show (Corvettes @ Corsa), they said, "Well, we have one parking spot left next to the GS's up front or you can park over on the side lawn with the rest of the cars. Where do you want to go?"

Hmmmm...;shrug I guess I'll park next to the GS's if I have to...:eyerole

:L

Thanks...
It was kinda funny- When I pulled into the show (Corvettes @ Corsa), they said, "Well, we have one parking spot left next to the GS's up front or you can park over on the side lawn with the rest of the cars. Where do you want to go?"

Hmmmm...;shrug I guess I'll park next to the GS's if I have to...:eyerole

:L

To have to make a decision such as that!

I think you made the right one. :chuckle

When JohnZ confirms there was a "real" sixth car, I'll believe it.

I cant speak to the Grand Sport with the same authority that JohnZ probably can, but I did do some research. According to the Corvette Grand Sport, Zora and team were busy developing the Grand Sports in '62. Zora had ordered 6 Grand Sports to be built. Chassis 001 was to be a test mule, which would be tested while the remaining 5 where built. Unfortunately, GM was observing the 1957 AMA racing ban. So in January of 1963, when GM brass found out about the Grand Sport project, they sent down word that no GM divisions would violate the AMA ban, and the Grand Sport project was "officially" shut down.

Here is a quote from the book:
Fortunately for the Grand Sport team, enough parts had been fabricated to build five complete cars; although many documents from the early stages of the Grand Sport project refer to six cars, later evidence indicates conclusively that only the five were ultimately assembled. At least three of the cars were completed by the start of the 1963 racing season. And even though Chevrolet was not going to "produce" any Grand Sports, that did not prevent them from loaning the existing cars to friendly outsiders - without any direct assistance, of course.
So now we know what happend to the rumored 6th Grand Sport. :upthumbs

I want it!:BOW

I just had a thought. We could start a pool for the auction of 002. Assuming we win, we could share the car, like a timeshare, based upon how much we chip in on the pool. As a member of the CAC staff, I would willingly shoulder the burden of garaging and maintaining the car. And of course, any time someone who contributed to the pool made their way up to the great Pacific Northwest, they could take it for a drive around PIR.

Any takers? :chuckle

:v Jason

Besides casting a dull layer super thin body as with the original 5 SS Vettes, I wonder what it would cost to build another car today??

I read that someone built a third 1969 ZL-1 though I don't know what that cost him. Just wondering if another SS could be built in a well equiped shop for around $250K?? Of course if most of the work had to be subbed out than the costs would be much higher.

Denny

Just wondering if another SS could be built in a well equiped shop for around $250K?? Of course if most of the work had to be subbed out than the costs would be much higher.
$250?!?!? How about one for less than $60K?

Mongoose Motorsports

That's who's cars are in my pics above.

Besides casting a dull layer super thin body as with the original 5 SS Vettes, I wonder what it would cost to build another car today??

I read that someone built a third 1969 ZL-1 though I don't know what that cost him. Just wondering if another SS could be built in a well equiped shop for around $250K?? Of course if most of the work had to be subbed out than the costs would be much higher.

Denny

Even if you did do this, how much is it really going to be worth? You're not making another one, you'd be making a clone...right?

Even if you did do this, how much is it really going to be worth? You're not making another one, you'd be making a clone...right?
I hear heads exploding at Barrett-Jackson. You might want to keep that info to yourself. :L

I am not at all familiar with the cars in these photo's so the questions I am asking migh be stupid to those who know about these cars.

Do they have the same tube type frames as the original SS?
Do they have the same type rear ends?
What steering system was employed?
Are the engines mounted set back in the same manner"
I don't suppose the bodies are the light weight versions?
How about the interiors etc?

I would think that the major cost of recreation would be the body and the frame. The rear windows in the SS were not the same size as the production cars and all but the front windshield were plexi glass. I have been told that the rear end was no where near a production unit but I don't know much else about it. I would assume that these cars have the plastic 33 gallon gas tank.

I'm just interested. Many years ago I saw one of the original SS coupes on display at either Watkins Glen or Road America. I have slept a few times since then and I don't remember which.

Thanks for the info,
Denny

Considering what some people were willing, and did pay for clone Hemi Cuda's a year or so ago, I can only imagine what a clone SS would bring.

I live several miles from Westworld where the Barratt Jackson Auction is held every year however I chose to only attend the free car show at the Scottsdale Pavilions that Saturday. I find it is a better venue for the types of cars us normal people can afford.

The Scottsdale Pavilions normally pulls in 450 cars and motorcycles but on that night it will pull in about 1000 and we once had a high of 1250 show up. There were cars parked in every conceivable area. Every fire zone was filled and the fire department gave up trying to get the vehicles moved or ticketed. This is the place to buy without paying all the extras associated with an auction purchase.

Anyway if you are planning to come to Scottsdale for the Auction give me a shout before hand and maybe I can steer you clear of the high rate district.

Now let me offer my deepest condolances to those of you who are enduring that fourth season called "My Corvette's in the Garage". I had the top down on my roadster today. Sorry!!!:D

Denny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom