Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport Grand Sport With An LS7 Option?

For discussions related to a Grand Sport Corvette.

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Hey gang,
I was just reading the latest issue of Vette Magazine. The editor, Jay Heath, claims there are rumors inside GM about putting the LS7 on the Grand Sport option list. The issue centers around the declining sales of the Z06 coupled with the success of the Grand Sport. That got me thinking about the difference in price between a highly optioned Z06 with the Z07 package compared to the ZR1. You could quickly see how Value Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers could build a strong case to convince Marketing folks to eliminate the Z06. It's not as if something like this never happened. Think back to the demise of the C4-ZR-1. Your thoughts.........

The LS7 is in the Z06, only, for 2012. It will be there again in 2013, but that's the last year for the LS7. The LS9 goes away, too.

While it's been done before–most recently the LT4 of 1996, I think it unlikely that GM would develop another powertrain option for a single year, because of the cost of doing so along with putting the LS7 in the GS, would really bump the cost of that car. It's hard for me to believe, considering the awful sales volume of late, Chevrolet would do that.

On the other hand, there's a lot of fat-bottomed oid guys out there who want the sedate cruising Grand Sport–especially convertibles–but also want the that big 427 and the weewee-stiffening feeling it brings. 2013 is both the last year for big engines in Vettes and the 60th Anniversary of the brand. Maybe those guys will bit the bullet and accept a manual transmission in exchange for their LS7s. So I suppose there's a slim chance of a Grand Sport w. LS7 coming in MY13. I give it 1 to 3 odds.

2014 will bring a smaller C7 with a smaller V8–probably a 5.5L with DI, VVT and AFM along with, perhaps, a turbocharged V6.

If you want to get some of the last big motors in a Corvette, next year and the one after are your final chances. Order your 12 Z06es early!

Hib thanks for the heads up. I haven't been able to read too many publications lately as my employer has cut my department down to 2 guys and still the same amount of work for 5 guys. I may have to trade the 2010 Grand Sport in and get another Z06. I do miss the ponies of my Z and was thinking of turbos or a supercharger.

Take a look at the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger for Corvette LS3s. It's a pretty awesome system.

I did a story for Auto Enthusiast magazine about it and in the process drove a 2010 which was equipped with it. The mid-range torque was amazing and the drivability was outstanding.

Zip Products sells the E-Force Corvette system.

Thanks Hib, I will check that out. I saw something on the Speed Channel about it. Didn't catch it all but what I did see seemed to be very positive. Also thanks for being on top of the Vette scene. We or at least I appreciate all the excellent articles you have given us through the years.

Hmmm

I was in a bar last night just outside Bowling Green and I overheard two Corvette engineers talking and they said....................:L

Thanks Hib, I will check that out. I saw something on the Speed Channel about it. Didn't catch it all but what I did see seemed to be very positive. Also thanks for being on top of the Vette scene. We or at least I appreciate all the excellent articles you have given us through the years.

There is a second article I wrote about the E-Force Supercharger for a Camaro web site. That article contains most of what was in the story for AE on the Corvette blower along with additional material we could put in because we had plenty of space. The Edelbrock E-Force for C6 LS3 and Camaro LS3 are very similar...the main difference is the air filter assembly. The guts of the two supercharger packages are the same.

That article about E-Force is at:
Tom Henry Racing Supercharged Camaro

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom