Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grounding strap location?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
I was poking around my engine bay today, and I saw this grounding strap laying across the passenger side valve cover. It looks like it's attached to the back of the EGR or thereabouts. Anyone know where it should be hooked to? Thanks!

Ground1.jpg

Ground2.jpg

-Tatortot

Tator,

The grounding strap gets connected to the distributor's shroud. The stud on the shroud makes contact with the aluminum foil covering the inner side of the shroud, and thus it helps shield the radio from the magnetic signals from the distributor.

GerryLP:cool

You da man, Gerry! I'll have a look around tomorrow. I don't use the radio anyways. My luck will be the bolt missing, and have to hunt down a replacement. Thanks again!

-Tatortot

The dist shroud end should have a wing nut.
Not sure about 81 but on 78/79s the other end of the strap goes to the upper, rear valve cover bolt.

The dist shroud end should have a wing nut.
Not sure about 81 but on 78/79s the other end of the strap goes to the upper, rear valve cover bolt.

This is correct, but a PITA to do...:ugh:mad:D

GerryLP:cool

Hmmm, so I guess mine has been moved? Maybe that's why it's just hanging around... couldn't reach? I may beg one of you for a picture of it if I can't locate where it attaches tomorrow. I'm looking for a wing-nut, so I guess I should just see a threaded bolt sticking up somewheres....

-tatortot

Whoa! Far out. Thanks! I can actually see the bolt in my first pic now. Now to find a nut to fit it.

-tatortot

I learn something every day overhere.
Didn't know the ground strap went to the rear valvecover bolt. :)
Thanks!

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom