Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Guess what I just bought for Christmas?

S

Scott81

Started the negotiating for a 383 motor from a friend of mine who owns a shop here in town. He had it built for his 67 but says it has too much power (as if that were possible), I didn't get to see the dyno sheet from when it was built but he says it's about 586hp from what he remembers. I tend to believe it as I've driven the car and it's a monster! He's rarely driven the car since he installed it so it has very few miles on it and I won't have to worry about break in periods either.

I'm going to need to install a vacuum reserve can and a new torque convertor but that's fine, also going to put a gear drive in...just because. Oh baby I'm going to have fun now!

Just have to find time to get the old one out and clean up the engine bay. OK, gotta go take a pill to calm down. ;)

Conbratulations, Scott...and Happy installing. :) I meant to say..Congratulations...not Conbratulations. :)

:w
Patti

Scott,
You gonna have the RED Money Pit ready for Labor Day "SharkFest"?

Hey Brother... one more thing... Don't be a stranger here :nono

Congrats on the engine find :D

BudD

OH, MAN - I want one of those. That is exactly what I want to build. 425 HP would be more my range, but that sounds killer. I have to get off the computer now to see if I can wash all this green off.....:upthumbs

You Can Never Have To Much !!

Hi Scott,

Where have you been hiding, how is it out there in sunny Florida, if you need someone to carry your toolbox during the rebuild don`t hesitate to send a plane ticket.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Cheers
J.

Patti- Thanks, No problem, I don't deduct points for spelling errors, even though I'm a mastur spellur ;)

Bud- it should be ready in January, first week if not sooner, so if I'm off during that time I'll be there. School will be done around the end of May...WOOHOO! I'll try to drop in more, have my mom here for 2 weeks so that could prove hard to do.

Keith- they should but just couldn't find it, and I had to run. They'll find it sooner or later, I know that figure is about right as he spent just over $6000 building it.

Hijinx- that was what I wanted but since this one is together already and the price was close to what I had I figure a bit more HP can't hurt.

John- been hiding at work and school, what little life I did have is long gone, so far gone I can't remember if I even had one. Check your mail every day for that ticket! ;) I'll get you a convertible for the races too ;)

I'll be taking lots of pictures of the swap, and I'll post more info as I learn the details.

:upthumbs You and me both, eh Scott? Who do you think'll finish first? :L

_ken :w

Ken said:
:upthumbs You and me both, eh Scott? Who do you think'll finish first? :L

Congrats Scott! Now who's gonna set the odds for this bet :L.

- Eric

I just got a call from the guy I'm gonna have do the build, he's already planning. ;)

Hey Ken,

Now I know the reason Bud calls you BroKen ;) I'll be the same soon. I'm ahead of you already, the motor is together, I just need to swap out the old one for the new one. Good luck on yours! How's that tranny of yours doing? Still giving you fits?

Dear Zora...

For all of you out there, please gather around and say a prayer for Scott's driveline. Here goes, "Zora please look down tonight on one of your Corvette children who has gotten a hold of some real power in the form of one of the greatest creations, the V8 engine. He will face a bit of toil trying the installation, so give him patience. Once on the road, he will face the wrath of the speed enforcement, so give him more discretion. Most of all, look after his unsuspecting differential and half-shafts. If they must give thier life during duty, make sure that Scott does not suffer heavily. That if they should break, they will go into that scrapyard in the sky, where so many other parts have fallen to the wayside by man's need to go faster. We ask these things, so that Scott may stay in one piece, as he reaches for another gear. Thanks for hearing us Zora." --Bullitt

Scott81 said:
How's that tranny of yours doing?

That'll obviously go the way of the L98 that's coming out Scott. I'll probably replace it with a ROD six-speed. ;)

Scott,

Sounds like you are going to have a monster. Tell us how you are matching up the rest of the car, what decisions and input are you using to select a torque converter stall, and what are you predictions for hsp and what RPM vs. your cruising speed? Does that make any sense what I just asked?

In other words,

Starting with the fuel system. Are you changing anything there, pump, lines, etc.

Ignition, does it come with something with the motor or are you putting something different together, are you going for the gusto with 10mm wires, etc.

Cooling system, any upgrades needed to keep that beast frosty?

Rear gear, are you going to have to swap anything out to get the RPM band into the sweet spot so that modo cam can do its work?

I am full of questions aren't I.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Scott has done all the tranny and driveline and rear end work already.. He had quite an article about it on the OLD Shark Tank.

I don't remember all the mods he has done to the drive train, but pretty sure he has a new 400 trans etc.. etc..

BudD

Re: Dear Zora...

Bullitt said:
For all of you out there, please gather around and say a prayer for Scott's driveline. Here goes, "Zora please look down tonight on one of your Corvette children who has gotten a hold of some real power in the form of one of the greatest creations, the V8 engine. He will face a bit of toil trying the installation, so give him patience. Once on the road, he will face the wrath of the speed enforcement, so give him more discretion. Most of all, look after his unsuspecting differential and half-shafts. If they must give thier life during duty, make sure that Scott does not suffer heavily. That if they should break, they will go into that scrapyard in the sky, where so many other parts have fallen to the wayside by man's need to go faster. We ask these things, so that Scott may stay in one piece, as he reaches for another gear. Thanks for hearing us Zora." --Bullitt

Bullitt- man that cracks me up! Thanks, I think I'll need all the help I can get though.

Ken- smart move getting that problem tranny out, I feel your pain in the wallet department too.

All- I've already had Van Steel do the rear end with HD yokes, CNC u-joint caps, and I've beefed up everything I could in the back end that I could do myself, Art installed some 3:54 gears for me and I had a shop build me a 700r4 tranny that should hold up...at least to my driving as I won't be beating the car, much. as for the torque convertor I'm not sure what I'll use yet, still looking into that one. The rest of the motor will come complete with the exception of starter, AC, alternator...it's complete from carb to oil pan. I will be looking at aluminum radiators, most likely Griffin on Dave Tillotsons recommendation, a larger tranny cooler too.

Brutus sent me some front suspension parts for X-mas (Thanks Big Guy!) so that will probably get done shortly as well. I also just had a spreader bar powdercoated so that will go in with the motor. A gear drive and 2 piece timing cover will also be installed. That's all I can think of for now.

Ho Ho Ho

Hey there little fella...how about I come on over and detail your engine bay for you while we're at it. You know you need it and you know I can do it besides it's cheaper to buy me a plane ticket from Oz than to send one to JHL in Pommyland. :eyerole

I'll give you a call as soon as I can. We've been a little occupied here since yesterday morning. Got a phone call in the early hours to say that my son had been attacked and bashed. He has a fractured jaw and has his front teeth badly rearranged too. Picking him up from hospital where he's been since then but have to take him back tomorrow night to be operated on on Monday morning. I'll keep you posted.

Bob

Big Guy,

Sorry to hear the bad news, let me know how things turn out and who did it and I'll arrange for a fixer to pay them a visit! You can come right over and get to work on the engine bay, bring your bag of goodies with you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom