Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

H4 Headlight System--Super Bright and Versatile

P

photovette

I was tired of having the dimmest headlights on the road--when it rained at night it could be just plain dangerous. This is my second C3, so I'm sure you're all nodding your heads in agreement.

Well, no more! I installed the 5-3/4" H4 sealed beam replacement fixtures from JC Whitney (475A0475R 13.99@). I hadn't ordered anything from JC Whitney since high school (1978) and I was surprised at the quality of the fixtures--lead glass, very nice. I also ordered 4 130/90 watt all-weather bulbs (815A2016W 14.99 @) (the all-weather bulbs have a slightly yellow light.)

Of course, the existing C3 wiring system can't handle the increased current, so you have to make up a relay based harness for the headlights, but it wasn't any big deal to do. You also need a 140 amp alternator.

Sounds like alot, but you WILL have the best headlights around--including HID systems.

How I have it set up:

Normal Low Beam Outboard low beam bulbs lit 13 amps

Normal High Beam All 4 high beam bulbs lit 38 amps

FOG All 4 low beam bulbs lit 26 amps

SUPER DEER FINDER All 4 low & high beam bulbs lit 66 amps

Here is the wiring diagram:

33681_p_42ABA56E-B00D-1087-BED79823F6F7A64A.jpg

Interesting !

Wonder if they have a setup like this for the C4.
We can't see at night either :(

headlites

photovette....other than the wiring mods,are these just replacements for whats already there? looks like its worth checking into!!!....thanks bill
:w :w STW

Yes, they look and fit exactly like the normal sealed beam bulbs except they have a hole in the back for the H4 bulbs. No modifications or cursing necessary to install!

You can actually get any wattage of H4 bulb--a lower wattage and you don't have to redo the wiring. They also have a nice wide light pattern--much broader then sealed beam halogen.

Honestly I was hesitant when I first took them on the road--thought people would think I had my 'brights' on. But after a week of driving, nobody has flashed me. Even on dark country roads.

One other good thing, the H4 to HID retro fit kits will work with these fixtures. So, as soon as the price goes down more I might try HID--however, my low beams are so bright now, I doubt I'd see any improvement. Wait a minute and I'll post some images...

Here is a standard halogen sealed beam (Left headlight) with the H4 fixture (Right headlight):

33681_p_4D88D5BE-DF92-D03F-4D81E2576A132BF9.jpg

Here is a close-up of the H4 fixture; it is high quality lead-glass:

33681_p_4D8D4D0E-E1CC-031B-2D125FBA9A23467F.jpg

Here is a drawing showing the improvement in beam pattern:

33681_p_4D8DE8F0-0788-3A0C-9C798783305ECD10.jpg

WOW!!!! what a difference!!!i will definately be upgrading the old girl!!!!

thanks for the info:cool :w :w bill

Installed an H4 system two years ago.

I did the same modification for my old 78. It was great to be able to see the backs of signs and reflectors on the road from the other side of the median!

I also upgraded to a 105 amp alternator. I used a 91 Vette alternator with the pulley swapped for my V-belt arrangement. I also ran a 4 gauge charge wire back to the starter.

I recommend this modification to everyone. Its the best money I ever spent on headlights.

Here's what I get for being too lazy to put the 'vette back into the garage after imaging the H4 headlights...

33681_p_4E27CF02-0D1B-EDEA-F2908B3E8788D7C1.jpg

it worked for me. very simple install.
it has pics of how to replace your headlights. Have you done this before?
lift hood
rotate lights half way
remove light covers
remove light.
replace light with what you have bought
assemble in reverse order
he does have the tools need.

Thanks jon.

PhotoVette
Thanks for the info on headlight upgrades. I can't see your wiring diagram though. If you wouldn't mind sending it to me I would appreciate it.

How did you set it up with your headlight switch and dimmer switch?

I see the amps that your new lights pull, do you know what the stock ones do?

One last question, If you put a higher amp alternator on, what wiring do you need to change? I was considering that but was told by the counter guy, (yeah, I know...) that I would have to re-wire if I put a higher amp alternator on.
Thanks
Ol Blue

JonM said:
Pilot...for the C-4 this is all you need to do...and you don't need to change any wireing.

(thanks Brian)

http://personal.tmlp.com/scorp/vette/images/lights/install.htm
Good job JonM

Did my install Christmas day.

Had a set of H4's on a previous vehicle :eek: ... we won't mention those here ....
Difference is night and DAY even with the 60/90 (?) bullbs. The stock ones.

I wonder how these compare to the nonpop up light kits?

I'm picking the Hellas ... but I could be swayed ... I kinda like the looks. :pat :CAC

Powers been out all day--here's the diagrams:

First, to install a 140 amp alternator, you must run a 4-gauge wire from the alternator to the starter soleniod. The starter solenoid is where the alternator normally connects to the battery--but stock it's a 10 or 8-gauge wire--not enough with the new alternator. You must also add a fusable link between the alternator and the in car fuse block:

33681_p_5973AFA6-F869-FD07-0E358F54CD880B24.jpg

Here is the full diagram for the HI-power headlight circuit. It allows normal operation with the addition of enabling the inboard lo-beams; inboard lo-beams lit for fog and when the hi-beams are on for better close-in visability. A HI-power circuit is necessary as the stock headlights draw only 16 amps--this system draws 65 amps max:

33681_p_59745F8E-AD48-FDD8-89D181D3150E408C.jpg

Are you sure about these part numbers? I can't find any listing for either part on their website...

photovette said:
I was tired of having the dimmest headlights on the road--when it rained at night it could be just plain dangerous. This is my second C3, so I'm sure you're all nodding your heads in agreement.

Well, no more! I installed the 5-3/4" H4 sealed beam replacement fixtures from JC Whitney (475A0475R 13.99@). I hadn't ordered anything from JC Whitney since high school (1978) and I was surprised at the quality of the fixtures--lead glass, very nice. I also ordered 4 130/90 watt all-weather bulbs (815A2016W 14.99 @) (the all-weather bulbs have a slightly yellow light.)

Of course, the existing C3 wiring system can't handle the increased current, so you have to make up a relay based harness for the headlights, but it wasn't any big deal to do. You also need a 140 amp alternator.

Sounds like alot, but you WILL have the best headlights around--including HID systems.

How I have it set up:

Normal Low Beam Outboard low beam bulbs lit 13 amps

Normal High Beam All 4 high beam bulbs lit 38 amps

FOG All 4 low beam bulbs lit 26 amps

SUPER DEER FINDER All 4 low & high beam bulbs lit 66 amps

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom