Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Handheld tuners for C5 LS1

philbillyvette

Corvette
2002 White Coupe / 1994 Admiral Blue Coupe
Was wondering if the handheld tuners or something like the jet modules are worth the price? I've used chips before in some older speed density efi setups and they felt like they made a difference in the butt dyno. I've never tried a handheld tuner before on any newer stuff. Would like some input from folks that may have tried some of the ones out there. I definently would like my shifts in the auto to be more firm and alot of products claim to firm up the shifts.

Was wondering if the handheld tuners or something like the jet modules are worth the price? I've used chips before in some older speed density efi setups and they felt like they made a difference in the butt dyno. I've never tried a handheld tuner before on any newer stuff. Would like some input from folks that may have tried some of the ones out there. I definently would like my shifts in the auto to be more firm and alot of products claim to firm up the shifts.
I have a Hypertech Power Programmer III tuner installed in my '98 A4 tranny coupe. It was given to me for free, but they can be purchased on ebay, or other corvette forums, etc. in the Part For Sale sections. HP runs about $350 give or take for a new one. Yes, you can definitely firm up the shift firmness big time if you want. There are actually about 3 different settings to pick from, depending your driving style. I tried each one, then decided on the 2nd to the most firm setting for my normal driving. The max setting is quite strong just for everyday driving around town. If you're a drag racer, go for it!! Also, with the HP tuner, I adjusted my cooling fans to come on earlier, at 209deg, instead of 225. You can start them even soon if you wish, but I don't want mine running all the time.
There are also several other adjustments you can make too. The tuner can only be used on one car, yours!! It saves your factory tune, then downloads your new settings etc. If sell your car, you can reinstall the factory tune............and sell the HP to someone else with a car year and tranny just like yours. Mine is specifically for a '98 LS1 with an auto tranny, stated right on the box.

Go to their website Hypertech, Inc. and read, read, read!!! Google for handheld tuners.....there are several out there to spend your money on!! :D

Good luck

thanks for the info Fix, I've been doing some research online already, but like to hear from folks that have tried them as well.

Yeah, do your homework first for sure. I really like the HP and what it can do for me with all the available adjustments, and I think they are about the most reasonable in price. Plus the fact that I get better fuel mileage with the tune, and a much better kick in the butt when I really want to stomp on the loud pedal! I'm not a hot rodder, but it's fun to have that extra power under your toe when you want to be one! To me, it's almost like a turbo spooling up then really taking off! It's fun!

I had a Diablo Predator and sold it to buy HP Tuners.

DEFINITELY well worth the money. You can do ANYTHING with HP Tuners.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom