Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hard starting when cold

H

hooks

A while back someone on this forum advised me about my hard starting problem when engine is cold--they said to replace the temp sensor because the ecm was not telling the sensor that the engine is cold. Where is the temp sensor located & how hard to replace? Car is 1993

A while back someone on this forum advised me about my hard starting problem when engine is cold--they said to replace the temp sensor because the ecm was not telling the sensor that the engine is cold. Where is the temp sensor located & how hard to replace? Car is 1993
It Twas Me!!! It's in the front top of Water Pump housing #10 Have checked the Codes? It would be that the sensor is not telling the ECM that the engine is cold!! A vacuum leak can act the same too!!:upthumbs :w

these temp sensors are notorious for working good for years and also for NOT...the ecm is highly reliant on CTS input...you can easily check your CTS by unplugging the connector, reading the resistance with a $4 digital VOM and comparing to correct resistance as given in the FSM for your year...many are off calibration but not bad enough to throw a code, just enough off to mess up starting and gas mileage...most can be changed out without even draining the coolant from the car --remove the radiator cap to vent any pressure (NOT while the engine is HOT) and then reinstall the radiator cap, loosen the old CTS, have the new one right next to hole when you unscrew the old one and make the changeover with steady hand (do not try to be too fast -- that is when trouble will find you)...expect to loose maybe a half cup of coolant.

be careful not to let coolant run onto the lt1 opti distributer, might kill that...make a temp ''raincoat'' for the opti from a shop rag+ plastic bag while you play.

really can't complain about what these do for the $40 that they cost, tho...a similar type sensor for industrial use costs abt $200

i read this post as i had the same problem and it was a quick and simple $15 fix.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom