Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hard to steer

W

waterskier

Need help! I have an 84, when I start it after it has sat for a while the steering is very hard. I have heard that 84 had problems. Anyone have any recomendations?

Power Steering Bulletins

waterskier,
Here is a Service Bulletin Click Here. This information is provide Right Here at our Recalls/Service Bulletins Section :)

There are a couple others about the Steering unit. I know this is a problem, and someone that has changed out to a newer steering rack. GM does make a fix, so do a few of the aftermarket vendors. I think this is a problem all the way into the 1988 or 1989 Corvette.

Service Bulletin Number: 84-151 REIS
Bulletin Sequence Number: 005
Date of Bulletin: 8501
NHTSA Item Number: 76722
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Year: 1984
Component: STEERING:pOWER ASSIST
Summary: GENERATOR AND POWER STEERING PUMP VIBRATION NOISE (MOAN) AT IDLE WITH A/C "ON "- REISSUED TO COVER ADDITIONAL PART REVISIONSFOR THIS CONDITION. CONDITION REPA IRED BY USING (3) NEW TUBULARBRACES AND FASTENERS TO REPLACE THE SINGLE REAR GEN ERATOR BRACE. ALSO REPLACE EXISTING POWER STEERING BRACKET WITH A NEW STIFF ER (RIBBED) BRACKET, P/N 14087559. 1984 CHEVROLET CORVETTE.

And I almost forgot... Welcome to The Corvette Action Center Community :D

BudD
:w

This is the reason I replaced my rack and pinion on my 85
From what I understand the stock racks had an aluminum housing around and after enough time go's on the knuckles inside "warp" the aluminum and make it hard to steer off start up

The newer ones I guess use a stainless steel housing to prevent this from happening....So I did and it works great...but when I pulled it off MAN did alot of aluminum shards came outta the tubes along with diesel oil for power steering fluid LOL I guess those knuckles been wore out a LONG time Lol

Oh well at least I wont kick the fender when my power steering pump go's..... At Least I'll know why:eyerole Oh by the way check you Power steering pump Ive heard they do this symptom to

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom